Lever Gun for Hog Hunting.......

Well I was in Arkansas for the weekend and got to talking to my father in law about hog hunting. He went to the safe and came back with a Marlin 1894 octagon barreled .44 mag. He told me to take it on the hunt and bring him back some BBQ. When I get home, I am going to put the scout scope on it and get to the range. I will post some pics of it when I get back home this week.

Mosin Nagant anyone? When you run outta ammo that bayonet could come in mighty handy... I don't know about you but I've had some hogs charge me and they weren't kidding around, I'm pretty sure they will attack and kill you if given the chance.

Guest 6.8 AR

i went hog hunting a few weeks ago carried several rifles but the most spectacular was with my 500 nitro double the 750 grain lead bullets just rolled them over.some of the other hunters thought i was using bombs

Well, weren't you?

Guest 270win

I would look at a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 with a low powered scope. I have heard you can easily take the bolt out of the Marlin and clean it out the back. If you are within 150 yards of the pigs you can use cheap Remington Core Lokt or similar ammo you buy at Wal Mart. That is about some of the cheapest hunting ammo. If it will work on a deer it will work on a pig. Sight the gun it at 25 yards and you will have good trajectory to hit anywhere on the pig out to 150 or a shade further with Core Lokt Remington. If you want more energy and further you can get the Hornady Evolution ammo.

Bigger cartridges like 35 Rem and 45-70 cost more to buy. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on ammo to shoot pest pigs.

Even a 357 or 44 mag lever gun should work well for pigs. Again, not real expensive ammo and will work for a hog.

Edited by 270win

Not by the hair of my chinny chin ch....*BANG!*

Mike, if you don't hog hunt, you should. That Socom just begs for it like a dog.

Yep. I ordered a BAD lever for it too. Does that make it a lever gun? :pleased: It was designed to kill Somalians, but I hear it works on pigs too. I definately plan to do some hunting.

BTW; One of my favorite Rightwinger quotes about the SOCOM... "It will kill a deer dead"

Edited by mikegideon