Thinking about a 338 Lapua.

Guest nitrous_mike

Guest nitrous_mike

I have been thinking about getting a .338 Lapua Mag from Armalite does anyone on here have any dealings with them good/bad ? I do have the room to kinda stretch its legs on my farm so that is not an issue with the gun. I am ready to pay for the ammo, I am kinda used to getting shafted on rounds so thats not gonna hurt my feelings and its not like it would be shot every weekend.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AK4ME

I love the fit and finish of the Armalite rifles. While I have never owned one, I have fired the .50 cal on a couple of outings. Its a very accurate rifle with its beefy,almost over the top receiver. The muzzle break is very effective for its intended purpose, the reduction of recoil, but the sound signature is amplified toward the shooter to a painful degree. I suggest plugs and muffs for hearing protection.

I think the .338 L Mag would be an awsome addition to any long range shooters collection. It'll sure take you places the .308 and .300 Win Mag can't. While the initial setup for reloading will be expensive it will surely pay off in the long run.

How about a range report if you do decide to give it a go?

Guest tnvol

I have an Armalite AR-10A4C and I love it. Really nice rifle... I also have an AR-24 and love it too. Never had any problems with Armalite.

The 338 Lapua can push a 250 gr bullet about as fast as a 300 Win Mag can push a 180 grainer. It has almost 5000 ft/lb ME (OUCH).

These guns are for Long range anti personnel targets, and lightly armored vehicles.

They are at a level where recoil can be injurious to the shooter. A heavy firearm is required and a muzzle brake is NOT a luxury. Those who have shot it say recoil is "brisk" and NOT to shoot it without a brake. One must use correct shooting fundamentals to avoid developing a flinch.

It has close to the same energy at 400 yards that the 300 has at the MUZZLE. At 1000 yards, it still has about 3/4 ton of remaining energy.

A huge plus is, ranges banning the big 50 allow these rifles. I would be discreet around range owners, board members and range officers, and just say it is a "long range Elk rifle". They DO make hunting ammo for it. :stir:

The below is pasted from Lapuas' site.

"• Flat trajectory means longer effective range and

reduces range estimation errors

• Higher down-range velocity means less sensitivity

to crosswind

• Most versatile bullet selection for best results

• Best in its class in long-range shooting 600-1500m

• Best choice for sniper competitions"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nitrous_mike

It seams as if no one can get an AR30 locally I am just waiting to hear back from a few other out of town dealers. If they come up empty on it as well I wanted to know if anyone has ever had any dealings with the Remington M24A3 "SWS" in 338 Lapua Mag ? From what I have managed to dig up it looks like one should be had for less then 1100 which is about 600 cheaper than the "net" prices on the AR30 in 338LM.