The true cost or reloading?

I figure my 223 reloads are @ 20 cents. 62 grain bullet @9 cents, primer 3-4 cents and @7 cents for powder (accurate 2230 @22 grains)

Time is irrelevant as I enjoy doing it as a hobby. Otherwise it would not be cost efficient, or at best it would be a push.

The other issue that no one mentions...

the rock bottom cheapest ammo is often pretty bad stuff. It is usually steel cased (hard on extractors, not reusable by any but the most frugal folks). It is often inconsistent, making large groups at any distance past point blank range. It has unknown coatings and chemistry in it, making very bad smells that I personally am afraid to inhale. It shoots sparklers out the end of your barrel (unburnt powder?). It is, by and large, junky (a few brands are half decent, but this can vary by caliber as to which ones).

This is what you are comparing to equally priced handloads which have:

reusable brass cases

reasonably to highly consistent loading (we can only assume the reloader is doing it right)

no harsh smell/sparks/etc

The reloads made using materials that are the same price as the rock bottom cheap ammo are as good as the mid-grade factory ammo (pmc 223 for example) -- which is a bit more expensive than something like brown bear.

Good point. Dolomite has been tearing down steel cases bargain ammo and his findings are pretty sad. Some of the powder charges vary by grains...not tenths of a grain. I think most if not all of us reload to a MUCH higher standard than the bulk ammo manufacturers. NONE of my reloads vary by more than +/- .1 grain. That's match grade by comparison. I think if the truth was known, most of us reload our blasting ammo to "Industry Premium" standards and what most handloaders call match grade loads would embarrass the quality of factory match ammo.

well to try to help keep reloading cost down for tgo members 844,842 or 846 85.00 per 8 pound jug

55 grain lake city bullets 75.00 per 1000

primers are already starting to get tight 30.00 per 1000 for winchester or cci

and i still have primed lake city brass for 100.00 per 1000

i will hold these prices for tgo members as long as i can

Three questions (not very familiar with surplus powders)-

842 = ???

844 = H335, and

846 = BL-C2 .......right ?

Are these all ball powders ?

Edited by R_Bert