I'm thinking about replacing my knife, what do you think I should get?

I was a SMKW today and checked out a Kershaw Blurr and the Clash. I think I like the Clash a little better. I'm not a fan of thumb studs. I walked out of there a poorer man than I walked in, but not much poorer. Picked up a Carbone Opinel No. 9 for $8.99, a Gerber Dimond Pocket Sharper for $1.99 and a CRKT Eat'N Tool for $4.99. I'm a happy man!!! Opinels are hard to find in this area!!! I may have to order a Clash from Amazon for $22.93. They are $27 at SMKW. Dang! I'm going Tacticool again!

... I may have to order a Clash from Amazon for $22.93. They are $27 at SMKW. Dang! I'm going Tacticool again!

Clash is another of the impressive PRC Kershaws, sort of poor man's ZT 0350 in overall size and blade shape.

KE-1605.jpg

I have the black bladed one.

I also VERY much like the Compound.

Kershaw-Compound-1940-600x500.jpg

And if you favor a really pointed blade, the Asset is a winner.

kershaw-asset-1930-600x500.jpg

All three allow tip up or tip down clip, but all right handed only.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Nope, I'm the only non-southpaw in the family, I'm also the only one with red hair of all things. Yeah the pocket clip for me has to be one the keeps the hinge down so that so that I can pull and open the knife in one motion. The CRKT knives are surprising nice when it comes to being able to switch the clip around.

Yet another nice thing about the ZT 0350 is that it's a four position carry- left or right handed, tip up or tip down.

I like that swoop of the last blade but I'm wondering about strength at the tip. That's why I liked the tanto, it was thick and blade geometry was good.

Oh course it's not intended for brute strength tip usage.

On the other hand, no knife is intended to substitute for a pry bar, especially with lateral force. You can break the tip off a $100 blade about as easily as a $25 one. All else being equal, high carbon tool steel will be less brittle than stainless, though.

- OS

I have really been impressed wither value of the Sanrenmu SRM-763. They are a great value. Excellent blade shape and size with a decent steel. I'm all for quality knives, but these can't be beat for the price. I still carry one to the office because it isn't as big as my Delica.

This Chinese company makes the Sypderco Byrd line. Exduct is supposedly most reliable vendor.

I have the smaller Flash. Great knife, just wish it was a little larger for grip.

Edited by tbenedict

Right, right I know they aren't designed as pry bars, I was just making a comment about that style. Given I can't see the top of the blade so as far as I know it could be quite thick. I'm really considering one of those Kershaws though.

It's same as Compound on top, thicker than Clash. But all three are hollow ground, so they lose much of that thickness quickly on way to the edge.

At any rate though, these are all quite the value methinks. The Oso Sweet is another PRC value in the line, but the grip is just a bit too short for my taste in proportion to the blade length, though many like it fine.

Above them all though, I chose the Tremor for daily carry for now.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I have really been impressed wither value of the Sanrenmu SRM-763. ...

I often sing the praises of SRM and other of the PRC makers, much to the wrath of the "buy US only or you're not a patriot" folks.

The classic in the SRM line to me is the 710 -- sadly, they seem to have discontinued the solid silver version and only offer the black now.

In general though, I prefer the offerings from Enlan/Bee and Navy, as they make more in the 3.5 to 3.8" range, bigger overall knives in general.

I've not used Exduct, but they are really the only commercial source I know of, and never seen anyone have probs with them. I have maybe 15 from the above makers, and done them all off eBay. A couple of vendors on there, if you get multiples, the shipping comes down to about the same as Exduct. Takes about 2-2.5 weeks from any of the sources.

I think you'll see their reps grow under their own names -- after all, these are the same companies that have made any number of the PRC offerings from the big US based production knife companies.

A good long sampling of the various products lines (along with the same ole "buy US or die" debate):

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/866583-SRM-Bee-Enlan-Navy-and-knives-Fan-post

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I've been tempted to try one of the Navy FFG K631's. They resemble a Spyderco.

I have a couple of black 710s. Great knife if you don't mind tip down carry.

I picked up the BM Mini-ambush a few years ago. I was carrying it all the time until I found the smaller, more office friendly 763.

The 763's hook shaped tang also serves as a good bottle opener. I initially thought this would snag in the pocket, but it hasn't bothered me. I probably sound like a commercial...

The Gerber EZ-out is also a great knife. Wish the steel held an edge better, but they fit the hand well. SMKW had these dirt cheap a while back in a camo pattern. They used to make a version with the ATS-34 steel. I'll find a deal on EBay one of these days.

I've been tempted to try one of the Navy FFG K631's. They resemble a Spyderco.

Here come da pix :)

navy631sale2.jpg

I have one (had to look at the number on blade to remember)....pretty nice, good heavy duty lockback lockup, no horiz or vert play, flicks open pretty well with thumb in hole, good grip, mine came wicked sharp 440c. Fairly thick and heavy, but I like that. One of the rare ones that allows right or left handed tip up only. People will say they ripped off Spyderco.

I have a couple of black 710s. Great knife if you don't mind tip down carry.

SANRENMU_SRM_High_Quality_Steel_Folding_Knife_710_5.jpg

I have one black one, several silver ones...the black one doesn't flick open as easily, I guess due to the blade coating (my Buck Vantage Force same way). Could probably take it apart and buff off the coating around the pivot, but then again, probably won't. People will say they ripped off Reeves' Sebenza.

The 763's hook shaped tang also serves as a good bottle opener. I initially thought this would snag in the pocket, but it hasn't bothered me. I probably sound like a commercial...

No, good to see someone else appreciates these.

SANRENMU-SRM-Axis-Lock-Folding-Knife-LB-763.jpg

I have the 763 also, wow. Yeah, funny, one of the eBay Chinese guys touts the cutout as just that as an added feature, although I'd guess it's an accident of the design. Also allows right/left tip up carry. People will say they ripped off the axis lock.

Both the 763 and the 710 are excellent smaller blades for those that don't want to tote a hunk.

The Navy 508 is another about the same size, but heavier than the SRM 763 has great comfy flare toward blade, great grip, also G-10, right only tip up clip.

$(KGrHqQOKpUE4j-KS+1iBOKhz+wvBw~~0_3.JPG

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

OS, why do you do this to me? I really like that K631 and now that you all have introduced me to www.exduct.com, I've been on there every night looking at their knives, along with wading through that Bladesforum thread. I'm thinking that I want one of those K630's too. Big fat blade like a ZT300, which I can't afford. Dang, I'm going back to Tacticool again!

.... I really like that K631 and now that you all have introduced me to www.exduct.com, I've been on there every night looking at their knives, along with wading through that Bladesforum thread.

If you want to see more pix of SRM/Enlan/Navy/Ganzo, just look at the Chinese eBay vendors, even if you don't buy there ... many of them have excellent detailed pix.

- OS

• Like 1

I also VERY much like the Compound.

Kershaw-Compound-1940-600x500.jpg

I came to this thread expecting to see a bunch of $200 "What a beautiful knife - thank God I can't afford it" knives and OhShoot has to go and post this one. My wallet is now $20 lighter and Amazon $20 richer.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Stopped by Star Sales on Central in Knoxville and checked out the Kershaw Clash and a Compound. While I was there, I noticed a Kabar Large Dozier Folder. Checked out all three and ultimate chose between the Clash and the Dozier. The Dozier is a super nice big blade!!! 3.7" AUS8 steel blade which was very sharp! I estimate the blade thickness was almost 1/8". It looked to be a very sturdy blade! Was a bit on the heavy side though. It was the same price as the Clash at just a hair over $25. I ended up with the Clash. I'm just not a big fan of Thumb Studs. However, I have the Dozier as my next purchase!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Dozier-Folder-Black-Handle/dp/B0012QY7S2/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331920420&sr=1-3

As for the Clash, I really, really like it! It's got good heft, not to light and not too heavy. It's quick opening, with a robust 3"+ blade in 8cr15MoV steel. The blade looks to be about 3/16" thick and just around 1" wide with a deep belly. The pocket clip is set up for right side carry only, point up or down and is contoured and a bit wider than I am used too, but it feels nice in the grasp. The texture on the scales is not overly aggressive and allows for a comfortable grip. I fits my medium sized hand nicely. The fit and finish is what you expect from a Kershaw. There is no safety like on my little Scallion. I like that! The safety on the Scallion is made of plastic and I've had to replace it once already. In fairness, that knife was found in a gravel parking lot by my then 11 year old daughter and it was a daily carrier for almost 4 years. I gave it back to her about 2 years ago and she keeps it a drawer. I think the Clash is doing to be switching out with my Svord Peasant for EDC Duty.

Can't say enough good about Star Sales. They've been in Knoxville well over 50 years and they have always provided good service. They don't have a spectalar inventory, but what they do have is generally cheaper than I can find anywhere else. Brands carried are Kershaw, Case, KABAR, Boker, Schrade/Uncle Henry, Kissing Crane and Smith & Wesson and some other lesser known and cheaper knives. If you don't want to drive to SMKWs and don't want to wait on Amazon or Ebay, you might check them out at www. starknives.com to see what they have in inventory.

Edited by Moped

I came to this thread expecting to see a bunch of $200 "What a beautiful knife - thank God I can't afford it" knives and OhShoot has to go and post this one. My wallet is now $20 lighter and Amazon $20 richer.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Good deal. I guess I have become sort of the blue light special blade advocate here. :)

- OS