getting nervous

Guest Brent1973

Guest Brent1973

Well tomorrow starts a long week.. Got my hunting safety course Tuesday , Thursday, Friday, and shoot Saturday. Then Sunday i go to Shooters Depot for my concealed carry handgun class.. I'm going with my Storm 45acp.. Just felt i would share .. thanks

Guest drwright6

My 9 year old daughter passed the Hunters Safety Course last summer with no trouble. I passed the HSC and the HCP class after not shooting a handgun for over 10 years. We had a lot of fun at the classes. No worries :up:

Why is your Hunting Safety course so long? When I took it last year it was only one day. You might also want to do the online course as a prep. There is a 100 question test at the end before you shoot. I think you have to have at least 75 or 80 correct to pass. It's all multiple choice.

You are going to be mildly surprised at how easy it is when you are done. It is OK to be concerned but not nervous. As long as you are an average shooter you will pass with flying colors.

Dolomite

Ok now I am nervous :P Just how accurate do you need to be? I am sure I can hit the paper, but haven't shot a honest to god NRA type target in many many many moons.

Guest bkelm18

Ok now I am nervous :P Just how accurate do you need to be? I am sure I can hit the paper, but haven't shot a honest to god NRA type target in many many many moons.

If you can keep your shots inside the silhouette out to 15yds, you'll pass.

If you can keep your shots inside the silhouette out to 15yds, you'll pass.

Pretty sure I can....now I just need to see if my gun can!!

No seriously, I may have to buy a new gun.....at least that is what I will tell the wife!! ;)

**edit** Oh yea...that is my way of saying thanks.....I forget not everyone knows or gets my sense of humor

Edited by Makiaveli

... concealed carry handgun class..

You do know it's not a concealed carry class, don't you?

Of course I roll my eyes when people say "clips" instead of mags. I am that way because my job requires a certain level of specificity and perhaps because I'm a wise a$$.

• Like 1
Guest Glock19girl

Do not be nervous pay attention to the class for the test it's super easy and I had several people in my class never shot before they all passed. Know the rules of handling guns and follow them you will be just fine. We had to shot 32 out of 50 up to 15 yes to pass!

The reason the HSC is long is because it's during the week. TWRA offers a Friday night + all day Saturday option, or the multi-night week days, or online + a field day for the shooting and some final instruction.

HSC is lots of stuff on basic safety, including wilderness survival and how not to fall out of a tree stand. Then stuff on basic firearm types. Then stuff about hunting techniques, game management, etc. It's pretty easy and the materials are good at presenting the subject matter. I was dreading it, but ended up enjoying it a lot. The final shoot is a single-shot .22. 3 shots IIRC at a close range target. The instructors are more interested in you demonstrating safe handling than making one ragged hole in the paper.

Don't worry about the HCP class. If you know the difference between a revolver and a rock, pay attention to when deadly force can be used, practice safe handling on the range, and can keep from shooting your neighbor's target, you'll pass.

Guest HvyMtl

Dont worry too much about the HCP class. It is easy. Listen and take a few notes off the video and instructor. Multiple choice test. The shooting side is not hard at all. They had ppl in the course I took using their never fired guns and had never shot a gun in their lives. They passed.

FYI: Using the firearm you are going to carry: Great idea. I hope its the ONLY time in your life there is any pressure involved when shooting it. (And that is the benefit, the extra pressure in taking the test will allow you to guage how well you are prepared.)

Dont be surprised to have a lot of ppl jump around you when you fire off that .45, as many will be shooting 9mm or less. (Many will use .22.)

Guest Cogent Design

The class is easy. I spent more time worrying about getting muzzled from the first time shooters than passing the class.

Guest Brent1973

thanks for all the help.. As for as why im NOT going to Fugates , well, the ONE time i went the person there was nun to friendly . And Shooters Depot is SO much more organized to me its worth the $10 more...Wish Benton Shooters had one still or i would go there, i realy like going there...

Edited by Brent1973