TGO NCAA Brackets

Ok, so I'll admit it. I don't watch basketball and when I saw it was free with no prize, I just did this to have something to do. So how does the ranking work on the brackets? It seems weird that the #1 and #2 people have the same # correct, but #1 still has a higher score. And I have 16 correct but I'm in between two people with 17 correct.

Well you may have the same number correct but the team that lost, you had winning two more games. So you have already lost those points as well. So technically you have less points available to score in the upcoming rounds.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I'll admit it. I don't watch basketball and when I saw it was free with no prize, I just did this to have something to do. So how does the ranking work on the brackets? It seems weird that the #1 and #2 people have the same # correct, but #1 still has a higher score. And I have 16 correct but I'm in between two people with 17 correct.

Another "trick" on the scoring is that the first 2 rounds award bonus points equal to the winner's "seeding". So if you pick a #2 to beat a #15 and they do, you get 1 point for the win, and 2 points for the seed for a total of 3 points. But if you picked Norfolk State or Lehigh, both #15's that beat #2's today, you would have received 16 points each, 1 for the win + 15 for the seed ranking. I did that to reward people who went out on a limb and picked unexpected upsets.

So 2 people with the same number of correct picks could have different scores based on those seed bonuses.

That only applies for the first 2 rounds. After that, it's back to normal. If you check my Opening Post, you'll see the details of how each round is scored.

Edited by monkeylizard

Another "trick" on the scoring is that the first 2 rounds award bonus points equal to the winner's "seeding". So if you pick a #2 to beat a #15 and they do, you get 1 point for the win, and 2 points for the seed for a total of 3 points. But if you picked Norfolk State or Lehigh, both #15's that beat #2's today, you would have received 16 points each, 1 for the win + 15 for the seed ranking. I did that to reward people who went out on a limb and picked unexpected upsets.

So 2 people with the same number of correct picks could have different scores based on those seed bonuses.

That only applies for the first 2 rounds. After that, it's back to normal. If you check my Opening Post, you'll see the details of how each round is scored.

Ahh. Got ya, thanks for explaining guys. We always did this on the ship too, but I never paid attention to how the scoring worked.

Ahh. Got ya, thanks for explaining guys. We always did this on the ship too, but I never paid attention to how the scoring worked.

The great thing about bracketology is that you don't really need to know a lot about basketball. If you know the statistics behind the rankings, you can make some pretty good guesses. A #1 has never lost in the first round. Before today, only four #2 teams have ever lost in the first round. Upsets will usually happen to a few of the 3,4, and 5 teams, but it's a crapshoot picking which ones. After that, the teams are fairly evenly matched so it's a coin toss for those too unless you actually do know something about the teams. Even then, I don't think it improves the odds that much.

For picking a tie-breaker score for the final game: always remember that this isn't the NBA. College games usually fall in the upper 50's to low 80's in points per team.