S&W SD9 & SD49 discontinued? So I got one

Tennjed

From S&W offical facebook page the SD9 & SD40 are being discontinued. I have been wanting one for a while. Most reviews seem positive. The "worst" reviews seem to call it an upgraded Sigma (better trigger, sights, finish). The Sigma seems to get great reviews (minus the trigger) so an updated version seems like a good thing to me.

I decided to go ahead and get it since it was being discontinued. I figured if I wanted one new, I need to bite the bullet. I have never bought a gun before because it was being discontinued. What are your opinions on the SD series, and have you ever bought a gun when you realized it was being discontinued?

before I put the money down, I compared it to the Sigma and the M&P. the price difference was: (Only shop in town with a SD9 in stock...Sportsman's Wharehouse)

Sigma $339

SD9 $379

M&P $519

I could deffinately justify pay $40 more for the SD vs Sigma, but I could not justify paying $140 more for the M&P vs SD. The trigger is better on the M&P, but not $140 more IMHO

Pictures and range report coming!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have any earthshattering news on the SD series, but I have had both the Sigma 9 and still have an SD40 kit. The Sigma wasn't a bad gun, especially as an entry level product. Trigger could have been a little better on it, but I have had worse. I finally traded it, don't really remember what for. Did get an SD40 a while back in a trade with Magiccarpetrides and I like it. Wish it was a 9 though. but as the 40 goes, it's not bad. May be one of the few 40 cal guns I will keep.

M&P is worth $140 more IMO, but differences in opinion are what make the world go 'round right? :biglol: I would be slightly concerned that parts availability on discontinued models may be an issue in the future should you need something.

So i went to s&w and emailed there customer support to ask abot future parts avaiability and warranty work on the sd line of pistols since they were being discontinued, the following is their response.

" The SD line is still on our web site and they are being sold. There’s no information on this line being discontinued."

That said either they havent told the customer support crew, or maybe someone misread a facebook post.

I've played with all of them and I would definitely get the SD before I'd get a Sigma. That being said the M&P is worth far more than $140 over the other two. Reasons being are parts, trigger, accessories, features, sight availability, magazine cost, etc. Just counting magazine cost, you will nearly cover the $140 difference in two or three mags, not to mention that the frustration you will find trying to get a good holster for the SD or Sigma will be worth the price difference. ;)

Edited by Smith

So i went to s&w and emailed there customer support to ask abot future parts avaiability and warranty work on the sd line of pistols since they were being discontinued, the following is their response.

" The SD line is still on our web site and they are being sold. There’s no information on this line being discontinued."

That said either they havent told the customer support crew, or maybe someone misread a facebook post.

Here is a link to the Facebook post in question. Brad Paynter from S&W made the comments comfiring they have been discontinued. Who knows.

http://www.facebook.com/smithwessoncorp/posts/10150645331538960

http://www.facebook.com/smithwessoncorp/posts/10150658994588960

I've played with all of them and I would definitely get the SD before I'd get a Sigma. That being said the M&P is worth far more than $140 over the other two. Reasons being are parts, trigger, accessories, features, sight availability, magazine cost, etc. Just counting magazine cost, you will nearly cover the $140 difference in two or three mags, not to mention that the frustration you will find trying to get a good holster for the SD or Sigma will be worth the price difference. ;)

From most of what I have read the SD uses Sigma Mags and Holsters. A quick search internet search showed both M&P and Sigma mags at $29 most places.

Certainly does not seem to be a misread facebook post......maybe customer service is out of the loop. I do hate to see it go, much nicer to shot than the sigma imho.

Yeah, I think one thing is for certain, somebody is out of the loop. The facebook post seem to confirm it, but it is still listed on their website. Wires are crossed somewhre. Anyway I guess we will find out. Heck maybe it is their plan to put a rumor out so people on the fence like me will go out and buy one. If so it might be working, because I got one :)