Concealed weapon in car?

Guest Triggerman

Guest Triggerman

(posting under my husbands username again...I should really get one for myself! LOL):)

We are going to Texas in June, and of course he wants to take a gun. I'm completely ok with that. My question though is, what is techically considered 'concealing' the weapon in a car? Should we be pulled over, I want to be completely within the law. If its in a case, in his suitcase UNloaded would that be a problem? If you can have one in the car, just cant be loaded...where would he store the ammo? Please help me out! I personally know nothing about the state gun laws, so I'm just going on what he tells me....which I question sometimes! :up:

PS-Neither one of us have a concealed carrier permit (although he's been aiming to get one for about 4 years now) and we'll be traveling from TN through AL, LA,and TX.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You should still have time to get a carry permit.That way youll be covered.

As far as carrying with out one,in TN the gun must be unloaded,and ammo must be stored separately,which makes it useless if TSHTF.So take the course,send in your 115 bucks and be protected :up:

Best I can tell by reading the RV/Car page at http://www.handgunlaw.us/ you can have a loaded gun in your car in Texas, but it must not be on your person and must be concealed (glovebox, etc...) within the vehicle.

Title 10 . Section 1

Section 46.02

(a) A person commits an offense if the person [he]intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person

intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or

her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person

or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(
:D
prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;

or

© a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01

For Lousiana it refrences the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Unit FAQ page @

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFAQ.pdf

CAN I CARRY MY HANDGUN IN MY VEHICLE?

Louisiana law does not expressly prohibit the carrying of handguns in vehicles. This is a complicated issue. We suggest that you refer to Louisiana Revised Statutes (L.R.S.) Title 14 Sections 95; 95.1; 95.2; 95.6; 95.7; 95.8. Information on these statutes can be obtained at

http://www.legis.state.la.us/ or in the “Laws and Rules†section of our web page.

In AL and TN the weapon must be unloaded and ammo stored separately.