45 loads work in 1911 but not XD (sometimes_

Loading 230 gr.lead RN. Have had a few primer strikes with the XD that did not fire. Put them in the 1911 and work fine. This has happened with two different XDs. Primer is flush across the bass if not .001 'proud'. I have been told that the crimp may be too tapered on the bullet. It looks and feels good, and the bullet can't be pushed deeper, meaning it certainly is a firm crimp.... so maybe that's it. Whatdaya think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grout

Your primers are too high,they should be seated slightly below the case rim. I had this same problem years ago with a Glock.The hammer on my 1911 had more inertia even with an 18 lb hammer spring than did the striker on the Glock

bullet is seated too deep, so the round can scoot a little deeper into the chamber, soaking up the firing pin hit? Drop the round into the barrel, does it go in deeper than a factory bullet?

OAL is good. But I think you are correct in that it drops into the chamber a little too far. It may be that the crimp is too much on a lead bullet giving me just a slighly smaller OD at the bullet. I'll back off the crimp a hair and see.

I don't think the primer is too 'proud'. Plus that should give me a better chance at ignition. It has done it in two XDs, and fired in 1911 on the second try. I thought they might be too deep, but they are flush and this compares to factory rounds when gapped with a straight edge.

But thanks and I appreciate the ideas...

You shouldn't be crimping it at all in the normal sense. The cartridge headspaces off the case mouth. Get a Lee Factory crimp die. It's very hard to over crimp with one.

I would imagine it's the difference in extractors that's letting one fire and not the other. If your 1911 has a very stout extractor, strong enough to hold the cartridge in place while the firing pin does it's job I'd say that's why. The XD may be letting go enough to keep you from getting a good strike. That's bad as you are now getting excessive headspace. That can kick up a hornets nest. Be certain you are not using a roll crimp of any kind and that you have a good edge at the case mouth.

OAL is good. But I think you are correct in that it drops into the chamber a little too far. It may be that the crimp is too much on a lead bullet giving me just a slighly smaller OD at the bullet. I'll back off the crimp a hair and see.

I don't think the primer is too 'proud'. Plus that should give me a better chance at ignition. It has done it in two XDs, and fired in 1911 on the second try. I thought they might be too deep, but they are flush and this compares to factory rounds when gapped with a straight edge.

But thanks and I appreciate the ideas...

If you had misfires with both XD and 1911 then it is most likely high primers. The firing pin on 1911s can extend way forward of the breachface and fire even a round with excessive headspace; striker fired guns' firing pins don't protrude so far.

Seating primers ten thousandths below flush will maximize the sensitivity of the primer by properly seating the anvil on the priming compound. If the primer is seated high part of the force of the firing pin has to seat the primer and then then ignite it. If rounds go "click" on first hit and then "bang" on second strike it's a sign they are too high. Note that it's possible to crack the pellet of a high primer with the first strike and it'll never go bang after that.

Caster thanks, that is exactly what another friend and experienced reloader told me....almost word for word. Will make the adjustment.

DaveS, will also look again at the primer situation, but what has happened the XD's would indent the primer, but not fire. The second try was always in a 1911 and would fire, which sends me back to Caster's explanation.

Thanks again