Want to try trap/skeet shooting.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I couldn't hit any clays with a Mossy HD 18.5" shotty that I tried once. That could have been the choke more than the length though. I don't know what it was choked with.

My advice, try both guns. You'll settle in to one over the other pretty quickly, or maybe you'll like one for skeet and one for trap.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest Torrin

I plan on trying skeet or trap shooting this summer. I would like to use my coach gun, but the barrels are only 20" and have fixed chokes.. Would this be a waste of time? I have and 870 I can use, but enjoy shooting my SxS more. Thoughts?

With trap it is no big deal, just stand back on the 21 line, you will want a full choke if you let the bird get out there a ways. A full choke would not work will in skeet however.

Your shoulder will probaly take a pretty good beating. It is one thing to fire you coach gun once or twice and then take a break. In trap you will will be shooting 25 targets in less than ten minutes with a decent squad and could be 25 straight if you happen to go to line by yourself. Your 870 wont treat you a whole better either. Would not even bother trying to shoot a round of skeet without at least a modified choke and improved cylinder or skeet choke would be the optimum

• 1 month later...

Any good place to learn near Middle TN? I heard some people mention Nashville Sporting Complex. Yay or nay?

It's a very nice place to shoot, I've shot there in several competitions. The only problem is that you lose the targets in the sky sometimes.

I plan on trying skeet or trap shooting this summer. I would like to use my coach gun, but the barrels are only 20" and have fixed chokes.. Would this be a waste of time? I have and 870 I can use, but enjoy shooting my SxS more. Thoughts?

You would be better off getting a used over-under. I personally have shot with a Benelli the past five years but that's just what I put my hands on the first time and never changed. You can shoot all day and not feel it though with Benelli's.

It'd be tough with a 20" barrel. I've used my 28" 870 for skeet/trap several times. While I personally suck at it, I've had some good shooters prove to me that it ain't the gun... And yes, my shoulder was sore the next day. As mentioned, a good over/under is the way to go.

Edited by peejman