Leatherwork for knife sheath needed

That's pretty much all there is to it. I need a small leather knife sheath made with a loop to run a belt through. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that'll hold up over time. The blade is a cold steel push blade. One of those little ones with a T-bar of a handle. I'm looking for someone close to Nashville who can do this for me. If anybody is interested just lemme know and I can email a picture of the blade and we can talk turkey.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Did this one for a buddy last week... I'd like to get more practice with carving, but not too many seem to want it....DSC02306.jpg

Nice work! I am just trying to get into some tooling techniques. I really like the results (although not so much my results - yet) that carving can give. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of beveler did you use around the carving? I like the way (at least from what I can tell from the pic) that you got a smooth look over such a relatively large 'negative' space.

I used craftools #B701, Z-B701, and F899. Use light strikes and continue going over it until it is what you want.

The Tandy factory outlet in Knoxville gives classes, but I've never been able to attend. I'm entirely self taught - I'm sure there is a better way to do it, this is just what works for me.

I used craftools #B701, Z-B701, and F899. Use light strikes and continue going over it until it is what you want.

The Tandy factory outlet in Knoxville gives classes, but I've never been able to attend. I'm entirely self taught - I'm sure there is a better way to do it, this is just what works for me.

I am actually in the midst of taking the 'beginner' leather tooling classes at that very Tandy store. We did 'stamping' in the first class (two weeks ago), carving with accent stamping/beveling in the last class (last Saturday) and are supposed to cover dying techniques this coming Saturday. I have done a very, very little stamping, before (did a holster for my NAA mini with a basketweave stamp) but last Saturday was my first carving experience. I'm not real impressed with my own skills in that area, yet but that is to be expected. We are getting pretty good, basic, introductory info - which is about all I am ready for at this point. Pretty good considering the classes are free. One really cool thing is that the guy who is teaching the classes (who also works in the store) told us that if there are any of the stamps, etc. we want to try out that he doesn't already have out on the table then he will let us try those, too.

Looking at that last sheath, in particular, I'd say that you are already well beyond those first, beginner classes. For some reason, though, I am thinking I heard something about them offering some more advanced classes, too, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info. As far as 'just what works for you', I think leather work is really one of those things where you learn the basics then have to pretty much adapt most things to 'what works for you.'

Edited by JAB

For the stamps - I bought a half-ton arbor press (harbor freight, 30 bucks) and got a local machine shop to drill the bottom of the arbor. It holds the stamp 'foot' adaptor, or can take it out and put a craftool in it. Works a heck of a lot better, and cost me about $75 total. Tandy sells something similiar but they want about 275 for it, if I recall correctly.

I'm gonna try to get down there Saturday for the big sale. I'm short on some stuff.

If you get a chance to swing by, I have a pretty good process for holsters. I've tried to change my sidebar info - I am in Mooresburg, now. About 15 minutes north of Morristown

Edited by Mark@Sea