Bee L02

I've been hanging out on Bladeforums.com too much. I've discovered the Enlan/Bee/Sanrenmu/ line of knives, which all use the 8cr13mov steel, and yes, they are made in China.

My curiosity got the best of me, so I ordered one of these:

7069032639_87a9294652_z.jpg

6922953610_c7ac2e08c2_z.jpg

7069049169_2cfb65ee33_z.jpg

For less than $20 including shipping, I'm pretty impressed with this knife. Solid lockup, no blade play at all, blade is not exactly centered when closed but it's close enough for the money. Blade has a nice thick spine, slightly thicker than any of my Kershaws or Spydercos. It wasn't quite sharp enough for my liking out of the box, so I ran it over the rods on the Lansky turnbox. Now it shaves hair off my arm with ease.

The blade flicks open fast and easily with the comfortable thumb studs.

One of the things that drew me to it was the nice deep carry clip, which allows it to ride completely out of sight in a jeans pocket (except for the clip, of course).

The only thing it seems to be missing is a lanyard hole, but that's not a deal breaker. It can also be carried tip down and right hand only.

It feels like a good quality product with good quality G10 scales and stainless steel liners. Weight is reasonable at 3.5 oz. Blade length is 3", closed length is 4", and over all length is just over 7".

This could've gone either way, but with positive reviews, I perceived the risk to be fairly low. It's well worth the $20 or so that I spent. I'll carry it for a while and put it to use to get a better idea of whether or not it is a performer.

Edited by DaddyO

Nice looking knife! OS has got me started at looking at these PRC knives. I like the Navy 631. Seen them on EBAY for around $20. Holding off though since I just bought the Kershaw Clash about 3 weeks ago. I'm looking to buy a new hat first.

I'm a big fan of SRM/Enlaln/Bee/Navy.

Don't have that model, but have L05 (G10) and L05-1 (apparently actual "rosewood", not Pakkawood, but not positive about that) . These have lanyard hole, but only right handed tip down clip. Easy to get hooked on these lines for sure.

beel05.jpg

- OS

I'm a big fan of SRM/Enlaln/Bee/Navy.

Don't have that model, but have L05 (G10) and L05-1 (apparently actual "rosewood", not Pakkawood, but not positive about that) . These have lanyard hole, but only right handed tip down clip. Easy to get hooked on these lines for sure.

beel05.jpg

- OS

Love the flat grind on that L05-1.

Edited by DaddyO

Love the flat grind on that L05-1.

Yeah, love the flat grind all the way from top -- the grinds are different enough, you'd think they'd have totally different model numbers (the dash number generally just denotes handle material), but you find a lot of oddities like that in these lines. Both of these were plenty sharp, and since I'm not using them, didn't try to touch them up for the max (well, max that I myself can seem to do anyway :))

Note that the pivot screw is oriented differently on them too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I bought it off eBay. But its shipping from China.

If they used the China Post thing, the number will show "preparing shipment" on that end until it reaches US (through Chicago I believe), then will show up under USPS. You'll know it's just a couple days more once you see that.

I've bought most of my PRC knives through about 3 vendors on there. "sanrenmu.knives" has shipping on multiples at $3 each, so found him cheaper over all if getting several.

I see with quick perusal that prices seem to be up on all these by at least 15% since the last time I bought any -- folks are tuning into them more and more, obviously.

- OS

Mine was 11.50 shipped. I used the make offer feature and just kept haggling. Took a while but it worked.

The small USD profit on that probably feeds the seller for several days. Or buys 3 more knives to sell. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

OK, OS, tell me what it is about this - Why are these Chinese knives so addicting? I just ordered a Bee L01B and SRM 738. I just couldn't hep it.

What you get for what you pay, simple as that. Generally excellent functionality, good steel, good grinds, etc. Sometimes a bit of a cosmetic flaw on blade or handle, but these are to be used, not simply collected.

Main criticism is that some of the models are quite emulative of some American models, like the SRM 710 and Sebenza, some of the Navy models and Spyderco ones, etc. On the other hand, some of these PRC companies are the ones that are making or have made the Chinese renditions FOR Spyderco, Buck, Kershaw, etc etc. to being with -- they're just now starting to be recognized outside of China under their own names. Other carp is the "buy American or you're not a patriot" argument, but to me that just shows a rather naive world political and economic view.

So in short, in a market like knives, where it's often said you only get what you pay for, many/most of these various models far and away out pace that adage. Price is starting to creep on these a bit as more folks discover them, and some of the companies are apparently going to deliver more options for higher end steel than 8CR13MOV and 440c too (although both of those are more than serviceable blade materials), maybe some fixed blades and whatnot, so I expect them to grow in the market.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well mine arrived last night. Pretty fast shipping considering it had to travel the world. Very nice little knife for the money. The wood handles are actually really soft though. Mine had a small dent (barely noticeable) out of the box. I probably won't carry it ever but its still a nice little knife. Now I want some of the others.