Snake!!!!

Guest db99wj

Guest canynracer
I didn't read 13 pages of this thread, but that's what shovels are for.

ahhh,,,,but the last couple pages are fun...LOL

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
I would have figured a cut down,juje,an insult,reather then"i like mice"lol

no, it was your sometimes random "drive-by" type off topic, but funny post...not meant to be a cut down...just seemed to fit :D

you are my hero :D

Guest shortfri

Didn't read all the pages. But i'm sure someone is gonna try to straighten me out.

First i think that snake is a type of water snake. If you've ever seen a copperhead. you'll notice two things. first the tail is to sharp, second the damn thing is just to long. Of all the copperheads i've seen none have ever had a sharp tail and have never been that long.

Second i know laws change but unless they have the only snake illegal to kill in the state of Tn is any type of rattle snake.

This comes from the fact that i use to be a backwoods cop. A lady called in wanting to know if it was all right to shot a copperhead in her back yard. I told her it was fine with me as long as i didn't have to be any where near it. I later asked the local game warden What snakes could be killed and what couldn't. He said all he knew of that couldn't was rattle snakes. But this was years ago and the laws may have changed.

Guest canynracer
Didn't read all the pages. But i'm sure someone is gonna try to straighten me out.

First i think that snake is a type of water snake. If you've ever seen a copperhead. you'll notice two things. first the tail is to sharp, second the damn thing is just to long. Of all the copperheads i've seen none have ever had a sharp tail and have never been that long.

Second i know laws change but unless they have the only snake illegal to kill in the state of Tn is any type of rattle snake.

This comes from the fact that i use to be a backwoods cop. A lady called in wanting to know if it was all right to shot a copperhead in her back yard. I told her it was fine with me as long as i didn't have to be any where near it. I later asked the local game warden What snakes could be killed and what couldn't. He said all he knew of that couldn't was rattle snakes. But this was years ago and the laws may have changed.

It sure looks like one to me....

ORIGINAL POSTER PIC:

Snake_1.jpg

Snake_2.jpg

Image results from google, as well as science sites...

copperhead1.jpg

copperhead.jpg

and according to http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-copperhe.html

The body, which may reach a length of 4 ft (120 cm), is hazel brown with chestnut-colored crossbands above and pinkish white with dark spots below. The head is a pale copper color.

Edited by canynracer
Guest db99wj
I think your jealous...its ok..I understand :D

:D:D:hat: Translation: Lies, I ignore you, I like the smilie with the hat

Back to the topic at hand, that is a big ass snake.:P

That IS in fact, a copperhead.

they are an aggressive species of snake. if you guys have kids, then do what ya need to do.. I myself grew up along with Mark@sea, catching king snakes and other, venomous snakes. (yah even an occasional water moccasin). have you ever seen a king snake kill another snake? its COOL!

I've perished my fair share of snakes as well. I don't see much use in killing them these days. I should imagine that if Julez and I ever have a child, I'll adjust my thinking until s/he is old enough to teach them not to fool with snakes.

Canyon, that was a funny post. :D

Strick, Julie is looking forward to the range this weekend, but I doubt she's going to let me stay as long as I want to. She'll probably shoot a couple of boxes of ammo through her newest pistol and then call it a day.

that's fine with me too, really. I worked 67 hours this week and I took last weekend off!

hopefully, I'll be able to pick up the p3at when we go too.

Guest canynracer
That IS in fact, a copperhead.

they are an aggressive species of snake. if you guys have kids, then do what ya need to do.. I myself grew up along with Mark@sea, catching king snakes and other, venomous snakes. (yah even an occasional water moccasin). have you ever seen a king snake kill another snake? its COOL!

I've perished my fair share of snakes as well. I don't see much use in killing them these days. I should imagine that if Julez and I ever have a child, I'll adjust my thinking until s/he is old enough to teach them not to fool with snakes.

Canyon, that was a funny post. :D

Strick, Julie is looking forward to the range this weekend, but I doubt she's going to let me stay as long as I want to. She'll probably shoot a couple of boxes of ammo through her newest pistol and then call it a day.

that's fine with me too, really. I worked 67 hours this week and I took last weekend off!

hopefully, I'll be able to pick up the p3at when we go too.

Thanks!!

I used to catch king snakes in CA and sell them to folks with rattlesnake problems...it is a cool thing to watch!!

Strick...you are nuts

Guest 70below

Another note in regards to the post some pages back about being chased by a cottonmouth..... If I recall correctly, the state of tennessee doesn't recognize cottonmouths as a native species. And as such, it would be a ferral species with no closed season.

Guest JavaGuy

It's a shame that the photos don't show the snake's head a little better. One photo does look like the classic wedge shape of a pit viper (copperheads, rattlesnakes, moccasins), but it's not clear enough to be sure. After all, some animals (snakes, frogs, etc.) do mimic more dangerous species in order to be left alone by predators. Yeah, it might well be a water-snake.

On the issue of legality of killing snakes in TN, I looked and couldn't find anything beyond what's already been discussed. I suspect that it's probably a matter of TWRA's rules and regulations instead of actual TN law. To me, killing a snake comes down to a matter of self defense and of protecting people and pets. If the snake could be avoided (in the wild) or removed (in my yard) safely, that's great. Otherwise, you do what you have to do to protect yourself, people or your pets.

If you've ever seen a copperhead. you'll notice two things. first the tail is to sharp, second the damn thing is just to long. Of all the copperheads i've seen none have ever had a sharp tail and have never been that long.

At first I also thought that it may not be a copperhead but after doing some research I am convinced that it is indeed a copperhead. I thought it was actually a cornsnake but notice the two pics below, something that the corn snake or water snake doesn't have (that I can find anyway) is the dots on their body. Then look back at the original snake picture we have been discussing, it has the dots. These pictures show a copperhead with a pointed tail.

I was told a year ago that a snake in my yard was NOT a copperhead because it did not have a blunt tail. I wish I could find the pictures I took of it because now I am not so sure. I can't remember if it had the dots or not. The snake had crawled up onto my pond walk and had my pregnant daughter up on the cement bench screaming her head off LOL. That snake is now dead........... but I didn't kill it. :up:

Anyway, these two pictures were taken from a website discussing copperheads.

ch1.jpg

ch2.jpg

Edited by Guns&Dobes

From http://chenocetah.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/cherokee-place-names-in-the-southeastern-us-8/

High in the Smokies, on the Haywood County line, is Inadu Knob; to the northeast in Cocke County is Inadu Mountain, of which the knob is really the summit. Inadu Creek is nearby, and to its west is Snake Den Mountain. The area seems to have a long history of being a very snaky place, seeing that “inadu†[modern form: "inada"] is the Cherokee word for “snake.â€

I once was hiking the Inadu Knob trail in the Smokies and spotted what I thought was a baby black snake. Their coloration is much like a copperhead. After playing around with for a few minutes, it finall opened its mouth. That's when I spotted the fangs. Oops, time to hike on. :up:

Guest db99wj
Here's a little info for those that may not know, a nature lesson, this will help me in the future.

snakelesson.jpg

db99wj, how come you didn't get down and examine it? :D:up::D

Wasn't my house(wife's coworkers house) and I didn't take the pictures.

I would have gotten closer and made better shots:eek:, I'm talking about a camera shots, not 40 S&W!

hahahahah

yep Guns, we know you would have turned it into puree'

here's a bit of information for you folks.

when identifying a snake, you'll not always be able to tell if they're venomous by the shape of their head!!

there are 2 types of snakes in North America. pit vipers and elapids.

most folks don't know much about the elapids...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This el·a·pid thinsp.pngspeaker.gif Audio Help /ˈɛlthinsp.pngəthinsp.pngpɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[el-uh-pid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.any of numerous cosmopolitan snakes of the family Elapidae, having permanently erect fangs in the front of the upper jaw and including the New World coral snakes, the cobras, and most Australian snakes.

if you have ANY doubt about what sort of snake it is, don't pick it up or get within striking range of it. (a snake can usually strike 2/3rds the length of its body. they don't have to be coiled to strike.)

Julez recently had a guy in CCU that was moving boxes in his barn and reached into one. he got bitten by a copperhead and had to have 4 or 5 bags of anti-venom over a course of 10 days. at a cost of 1500 dollars a bag (liter), because they have to make it up every time from the actual venom.

also, because stupid people import venomous snakes from other countries, contrary to the law, there is now a self sustaining population of cobras and constrictors in florida. there is NO guarantee that they haven't migrated, though they don't like the cold weather that much...

and if you notice, cobras have ROUND pupils.

there's NO telling what you'll encounter, so be careful!

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest JavaGuy

That's good info.. and you're right about not being able to ID a snake strictly by the shape of its head. I've also read that some of the non-venomous snakes have the ability to flatten their head, giving them more of that wedge-shaped look. I'd say that's more of the mimicing I mentioned earlier - look like the dangerous snake and be left alone by other animals.

However, the pit vipers (copperheads, rattlesnakes and moccasins) do have the wedge-shaped head and vertical pupils. Of course, if you're checking out the pupils, you're way too close.

Agreed on dumb people bringing in exotics (fish, reptiles, animals) and then releasing them into the wild when they get to be too much trouble to maintain. That's why you see occasional reports of someone catching piranha in TN streams, rivers and lakes. Some dummy thought it would be cool to have piranha in their aquarium and then dumped all the fish into the lake..