Reloads and Glocks and squibs, oh my!

Last summer I got my first squib. It was from my one of my powderpuff reloads and it happened at a match, which scared the crap out of me. Think fast follow-up shots and adrenaline and you'll understand why. Luckily it was lodged so near the chamber that the next round wouldn't go into battery or who knows what would have happened. Someone lent me a dowel and I was able to finish up the match.

Learned my lesson, upped the charge from 3.8gr of Bullseye to 4.0 gr, and never looked back.

Recently, however, I've gotten 4 squibs in as many trips to the range. I've loaded and shot almost 3500 rounds of 9mm in the past year, mostly from my CZ Shadow and my CZ P-01. All 4 squibs were in my Glock 17, which I've been shooting more often lately since I did some upgrades (not related to the firing pin assembly).

The first happened with a 124 gr plated bullet from Berry's loaded on my old Lee turret press. The next 3 were 124 gr FMJ from Precision Delta loaded on my new Dillon 650. I've been using the same powder charge all along and with no issues in any of my other guns, so it's hard to chalk it up to coincidence.

I'm thinking maybe I need more powder due to the differences b/w the Glock's barrel and the others'; maybe the one squib with the Berry's was a fluke (partial load or weak primer) and the 3 others are isssues with the new FMJ's from Precision Delta; or maybe my new Dillon press is dropping powder less consistently than my Lee (seems unlikely).

I'd appreciate some constructive input.

Edited by BigK

Sounds like your measure is missing a charge. It happens. I'm not sure how or why. I don't believe you could get a squib in any pistol with a charge of bullseye, even if it was a short charge as little 2.5-3.0g it would have plenty of pressure to get out of the barrel. UNLESS you have some weak faulty primers.

You're getting a no charge or have some bad primers. The fact that it happens in a glock is pure coincidence.

Flame on you progressive lovers, but THIS is the main reason there will never be one on my bench. I may be slower, but I visually see EVERY powder charge before seating.

• Like 1

I am going to second that. A squib is usually a primer and no powder, just enough juice to get stuck. Even 1 grain of most powders will put it on out the barrel with a few tens of FPS, when talking pistols.

I had 2 early on and since then I have looked into the case on every freaking load. Every one. Its a little tedious, but its the only safe way. If I can see powder in the case, I know it will at least pop out the barrel. Thankfully, on most pistols, I can see into the case without taking it off the press, just need good lighting in the work area.

After the 2nd squib, I've been very paranoid about maybe missing a charge, so I have a lamp clamped to my press. It's bent so that its light is shining right between stage 3 and 4, right before I put a bullet on the flared case.

No doubt that it's possible that my press could miss a charge and when it did, it happened I wasn't looking and that round went into my Glock instead of one of my other guns and this all happened 4 trips to the range in a row.

I hope you're right, because that's the easiest fix. I will watch WAY more closely to rule this out.

It just seemed too coincidental, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for some ideas.

Edited by BigK

the good news is that you cannot have a squib that cycles the action. If your handloads fail to cycle, check the barrel, and your score be darned. If you are worried about the score, cut a dowel rod to the appropriate length for a very quick check.

No doubt it does sound suspicious on your end, I just can't, by any stretch, figure how the gun could be responsible.

Try switching to a totally different lot of primers too while your at it.

I know what you mean about it being hard to see how the gun could be responsible. Ididn't know if it was possible the rifling in a Glock barrel might be a contributor, since it's the only one getting squibs.

I hope it's not the primer, since I just split a case with a buddy and kept 3000 of them. It would suck to lose $60 worth of primers like that.

the good news is that you cannot have a squib that cycles the action. If your handloads fail to cycle, check the barrel, and your score be darned. If you are worried about the score, cut a dowel rod to the appropriate length for a very quick check.

Yep....this is the one case that a Revolver will get you hurt due to inherit design