Ziplock sized survival kit

I had a friend that was driving around the smokies and found a cool place to take some photos, so he stoped and started taking pics. He was not paying attention and fell 10ft to a ledge. After being there for 4 hours he reliezed he had to climb down to a trail and find a way out. He was stuck out overnight. He ended up ok but he said he wished he had something he could have thrown in a pocket to help get him through the night. So I want opinions on building a ziplock bag sized survival kit. This kit would be something that can be thrown in things such as wifes purse(she carries a small purse), diaperbag, glove compartment, carried in a cargo pant pocket. I was thinking more of situations where you crash your car and help is not on the way, or out on a walk and get hurt and have to spend the night out overnight. Just something to have handy for short term use. I am trying to think of really small Items that would be helpful in case of emergency. This is not a BOB, I have those in the cars and the house.

I was thinking

firestarter of some kind

solar blanket

protein bars 2-3

small led flashlight w/unopned batteries

pancho

water filter of some kind

any imput on items that could be added would be great

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plastic garbage bags, large. Not much of a sleeping bag, but its warm, waterproof, and small.

Cig lighter for fire.

small pocket knife, maybe a swiss army of smallish size?

Trail mix, chocolate, or the like?

collapseable "boy scout" drinking cup? Water purify tablets (or iodine can be used for this and minor first aid...)

bandaids or tape & gauze or the like, alcohol swabbie packs, other light first aid.

small mirror, or possibly other items usable as a signal to searcers, a whistle?

some sort of strong but compact, lightweight string/rope, to make a tent of your garbage bags if you like, or whatever else.

A few sturdy nails, to climb a tree or make a tent or something.

sunscreen. 10 feet of TP folded up.

Bandanna (hat, bandage, and whatever else!)

Edited by Jonnin

Solar blanket

Shemagh

Straw filter things

Lighter/matches

Couple feet of 550 cord

Platypus collapsible water bladder (the 1 liter ones or something)

Basic first aid kit like those Johnson and Johnson 2 buck deals

Razor blade/Swiss army knife

Cliff/protein bars

• Admin Team

Survival gear is just like your carry weapon. If it's sitting at home - it won't do you any good when it comes down to needing it. Man has an incredible capacity to survive - but a little gear goes a long way. If you are going to stare down the reaper and send him packing, you have to be prepared.

My kits are broken down on a graduated basis. I would consider your Ziploc kit equivalent to the level I kit I've listed below.

These kits are broken down into levels: pocket, I, II and III and are fully 'stackable' That is, if I've got Level III, then I also have Level II and I.

Here they are:

Pocket kit - this stuff goes everywhere - everyday - to church, the grocery store, wherever - this is what goes in my pockets:

Multitool (currently Leatherman Skeletool CX), Knife with locking blade (backup is good - currently a Spyderco military - a big knife can do a little knife job, but not vice versa), small lighter, small flashlight (Maratac AAA is AMAZING), lip balm, space pen, phone, wallet, carry weapon

Level I kit - this should fit into a cargo pocket comfortably - some people like an Otter box or something like that. If you are old school, this is your tobacco tin kit. Both are too bulky for me, so I fit it in one of those wallets for kayakers that looks like two heavy ziploc bags and folds in half. Contents:

· Flint Rod and Scraper – 1 ea.

· Butane Lighter – 1 ea.

· Betadine – 10% solution ½ Fluid Ounce Bottle -1 ea.

· Signal Mirror – 1 ea.

· 24 Fish Hooks & Split Shot

· Large Fish Hook – 2 ea.

· Spool of Tripwire – 1 ea.

· Sewing Needles (Large Eye)– 3 ea.

· Fishing Line (10-12 lbs.) – 40 ft.

· 550 Para Cord – 20 ft. 2 ea.

· Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpener – 1 ea.

· Space Blanket – 1 ea.

· First Aid Kit – Personal

· Button Compass – 1 ea.

· Fuel Tabs (Hexamine)– 2 ea.

· Freezer Bags – 2 ea.

If I'm actually in the field then my other cargo pocket usually has a MS2000 rescue strobe, a MSR steripen, a better compass and a Garmin Etrex loaded up with the maps of the operating area. If I am in a more civilized area, the Level I kit goes on the inside pocket of my suit coat and the extra gear in my briefcase along with a bigger light and some extra AAs. Both make it through magnetometers at the airport fine - the kit is so crowded it just shows up a one mass - that or the fine folks manning it just don't get paid to care.

Level II kit - carried in a small (500 cu. inch) ruck or buttpack - Always in the car. I'm always stuffing things in here. Thus, there are always some extra goodies, but the contents always include:

· Insect Repellent

· 550 Para Cord – 50 ft. - (You really can't have enough)

· Ranger Sighting Compass

· Flashlight (larger LED light plus LED Headlamp)

· Dehydrated Sponges

· Mini Cable Ties – 50-75 ea.

· Commercial Game Snares – (4 ea. Small, 1 ea. Medium)

· Animal Scent Lures

· Fishing Kit

· Small Frog Gig

· Sun Screen

· Hygiene Kit (Campsuds, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Dental Floss, Small Roll AP Paper)

· Clear Plastic Trash Bags

· 9 Hour Candle – 1 ea.

· Medium Fixed Blade Knife

· Notepad (Waterproof) with Pencil

· Tubular Webbing – 1 Inch, 15 ft.

· Carabineer (Locking)

· Sling Rope – 15 ft.

· Mini Chain Saw

· Emergency Bivy (AMK makes a great one that's cheap)

· Trioxane Fuel Tabs – 4-5 ea.

· Emergency Strobe

· Global Positioning System

· VHF Radio with Weather Bands

· Extra Batteries – 6 ea. AA, 3 ea AAA

· Leather Gloves with Liners

· Watch Cap

· Rations – 2 Day (3 High Protein Myoplex bars, 3 Gatorade, Peanut Butter, Bullion Cubes, Tea Bags, Sugar)

· Nalgene Canteen (1 Liter) – 2 ea.

· First Aid Kit (Rapid Deployment Kit)

Level III kit - carried in a small assault ruck (~1500 cu. inch) - this one is for when you know that you might be stuck out for a while - I guess this one qualifies as the 'bugout bag' - and for me, it's truly that - by the time we get here, things have seriously headed south

· Water Purifier

· Game Snares – (3 small, 2 medium, 2 Large)

· Utility Pot

· Military Fuel Tabs – 5 ea.

· Gortex Pants and Jacket

· Nalgene Canteen – Large

· Sling Rope – 50 ft.

· Hydration System

· Large Fixed Blade Knife

· Small Shovel

· Whetstone

· Gortex Bivy

· Poncho Liner

· Stove with Fuel

· One pair clothes - matched to mission, environment, season

· Extra Socks

· LRP First Aid Kit

· Pistol with Extra Magazine

· Ammunition (matched to objective)

· Rations – 3 Day (5 High Protein Myoplex bars, 5 Gatorade, Peanut Butter, Tea Bags, Sugar, Bullion )

If you do a google on Personal Survival Kits, you will find oodles of info. You don't really need a ziplock bag for this. Most people make them out of Altoids Tins. You would be surprised at what you all you can stuff in one of those tins. Definitely enough to get you through the night in an emergency situation.

Here is an excellent link to check out. http://www.equipped.com/drperskit.htm

Thanks moped, that is more of what I am looking for I would like it as small as possible so I can put them everywhere. I just figured to get something useful I would have to go bigger, but that is the perfect setup and small. I will be making those but if anyone has seen a better one let me know, or something this one is missing

Edited by Lions Fan

One other thing about the Altoids Tin sized PSK, is you can fit it into one of those clip-on cellphone holsters. Makes a nice easy way to carry it around if your wearing something that doesn't have big pockets.

• Admin Team

I use real, "professional" snares from Buckshot's Trapping Supply. Snares aren't something you're likely to get lucky with in a survival situation unless you've really practiced the art beforehand. And, a wounded animal can wreak havoc on your equipment.

There are a couple folks on here who can weigh in, but from my perspective, the secrets to being successful with snares are placing enough good snares, choosing the right placement at natural or man made bottlenecks and improving your odds through the use of scent lures - in that order. I carry several snares because I think they're worth it. A snared raccoon can keep you alive for a week.

As to checking them, I like them in a place I can check them without getting too close to them and getting my scent on them. But, check them often.

Note that there are a lot of laws that cover trapping. If you're going to hone your skills, make sure you do it within the confines of the law.

Edited by MacGyver
  • Admin Team

Buckshot's Modern Trappers Guide is probably the best book available today on trapping. This book was literally going for ten times the price in the link below before it was rereleased.

http://www.snare-trap-survive.com/Buckshots-Book-Survival-Trapping-Guide-S.htm

His scent lures are awesome, too. Both the "raccoon stacker" and "predator thrasher" work great.

Edited by MacGyver

One other thing about the Altoids Tin sized PSK, is you can fit it into one of those clip-on cellphone holsters. Makes a nice easy way to carry it around if your wearing something that doesn't have big pockets.

Great idea

My fire starter is also a whistle...

Light My Fire 2.0 Swedish Scout FireSteel available at Amazon.com

41sIQPMOH4L._AA300_.jpg

this is the exact one I was looking at. I love duel purpose items

I bought a BDU wallet from voodoo tactical and it serves as my "pocket kit". I have a lot of the same stuff everyone else has in theirs. I also keep a large sheet of aluminum foil folded up that can be used as a cup, bowl, plate, water boiling vessell, etc...

Guest ochretoe

I use real, "professional" snares from Buckshot's Trapping Supply. Snares aren't something you're likely to get lucky with in a survival situation unless you've really practiced the art beforehand. And, a wounded animal can wreak havoc on your equipment.

There are a couple folks on here who can weigh in, but from my perspective, the secrets to being successful with snares are placing enough good snares, choosing the right placement at natural or man made bottlenecks and improving your odds through the use of scent lures - in that order. I carry several snares because I think they're worth it. A snared raccoon can keep you alive for a week.

As to checking them, I like them in a place I can check them without getting too close to them and getting my scent on them. But, check them often.

Note that there are a lot of laws that cover trapping. If you're going to hone your skills, make sure you do it within the confines of the law.

I have been trapping for almost 30 years. I almost only use snares now. Leg hold and conibear traps are good but I have better luck with snares. I use scents a little but just having a clean set is most important. Use existing runs and natural trail blocks and you will have success.

I tend to follow MacGyver's logic as well. I have different levels of packs that I am putting together: a pocket survival kit, a small go bag, and a larger BOB that I keep in my car most of the time.

I have made my pocket kit using a GCB Mini Mess Tin. It's a bit bigger than an Altoids tin, but small enough to fit in a cargo pocket. I decided to go with this for a couple of reasons. The most obvious reason is that it can hold a few more items than the Altoids tin. I opted for a metal tin over a pouch because the tin can be used to boil water if necessary. Third, this tin has a rubber gasket that helps keep it water tight unlike an Altoids tin. I am planning to hunt down a small nylon pouch with a spring clip for it as well in case I want to just clip it to my belt, pocket, or bag. Plus, if I end up needing the tin for cooking, I can put the contents in the pouch. These are not sold in the US, but are very common in the UK. I ordered mine from this seller on eBay and got it in about a week:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/350534500317?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

I included a Tool Logic Survival Card SVC2 in it, which is a handy little addition to any PSK. It has a small knife, a whistle, an LED light, a firesteel, tweezers, and toothpick. There is another version that has a small button compass instead of the LED, but I read some mixed reviews on the quality of the compass so I opted for the LED. The one downside to this little gem is that it is just a tad too big to fit into an Altoids tin.

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Card-Red-Translucent-Black/dp/B0018EIDEM

In addition to the Survival Card, I included a signal mirror, a Streamlight 73001 Nano, about 10 feet of duct tape, 2 pieces of Write in the Rain paper, a small golf pencil, some foam ear plugs, a small Bic lighter, some water purification tablets, some cotton soaked in petroleum jelly for tinder, a pack of GI matches from an MRE, some Kevlar cord, a P38 can opener, some adhesive bandages and ointment, a CRKT Eat N Tool, a button compass, a razor blade, some heavy duty leather needles and some regular sewing needles, and few other little odds & ends as I come up with them. I figure this, along with the Victorinox knife I carry all the time would be enough to get by for a couple of days in a situation like your friend encountered.

I have a several more items I include in a Maxpedition Fatboy Versapack that I usually carry while hiking including 2 SOL Emergency Bivvy sacks (one for me and one for my wife - I figure our little one can cuddle up with one of us), a Katadyn water bottle with a filter, a stainless steel cup, my firearm, an ESEE Izula with survival items on the sheath, some 550 cord (about 30 feet or so), and other odds & ends.