Noisy Neighbors

I live in a "condo". The young guys beside me like to play their Spanish jam really loud. I tried leaving a polite anonymous note on their door but I guess they figured out it was from me. Now they only give me nasty looks. Ah, the joys of living in apartments.

Did you write it in English or Spanish?

Well the only thing is, this isn't an apartment truely, it's a 5 unit town home. I have the middle unit and I don't have any issues with the old people on the other side, it's this younger couple on the one side of me. There is no apartment management that I can turn to, there is a HOA but if you've seen my previous post about them, they are as worthless as tits on a hog. It is the surround sound though, all I was hearing last night was what was coming through the woofer. The tv may be low, but if the woofer is on the wall then it's not going to do anything but echo into my living room. It's just irritating, I just wish some people would get their heads out of their a$$es, at least get their ears out so they can listen to the words coming out of my mouth.

When I was in college my roommate had a bad habit of going to sleep with the TV and his surround sound on. His speakers were mounted on the wall that adjoined our rooms. It was so loud that I could put my TV on the same channel as his and mute mine and still hear what was going on perfectly fine. One sleepless night it occurred to me that the breaker box was in my room. After that I would flip the power off to his room for a second when his TV was keeping me awake. He never did figure it out. He just kept saying things like "Man I think the power in my room went out last night but the rest of the house looks fine, no clocks blinking or anything."

When I was in college my roommate had a bad habit of going to sleep with the TV and his surround sound on. His speakers were mounted on the wall that adjoined our rooms. It was so loud that I could put my TV on the same channel as his and mute mine and still hear what was going on perfectly fine. One sleepless night it occurred to me that the breaker box was in my room. After that I would flip the power off to his room for a second when his TV was keeping me awake. He never did figure it out. He just kept saying things like "Man I think the power in my room went out last night but the rest of the house looks fine, no clocks blinking or anything."

Heh... did the same thing to an annoying college dorm-mate. His room was down the hall and he was the guy whose alarm clock had to be at 130dB to wake him up. Problem was he'd go home every weekend and leave the alarm on, so the rest of us on the floor got woken up early on the weekends. Once we figured out which breaker was his room, one of us would cut his power friday afternoon. After about a month of him coming back monday and finding his power off and everything in his fridge ruined, he got the hint.

Edited by peejman

I feel for you. Years ago my next door neighbors had two idiot sons who each had boomcars. Usually on Saturdays they would either do yardwork or clean up their cars and the bass would literally rattle the windows in my house. I tried asking them politely, and it just pissed them off, including the father. They actually turned up the volume from that point. There was nothing I could do since there is no county noise ordinance, and apparently disturbing the peace did not apply. I did a happy dance the day the last one moved away from home.

To this day I cannot tolerate the "boom-boom" of someone's car stereo, no matter where I am. I can feel my BP going up.

I just can't comprehend some people's complete lack of consideration for others. Seems like our society is becoming increasingly and exponentially insensitive and selfish.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

I feel for you. Years ago my next door neighbors had two idiot sons who each had boomcars. Usually on Saturdays they would either do yardwork or clean up their cars and the bass would literally rattle the windows in my house. I tried asking them politely, and it just pissed them off, including the father. They actually turned up the volume from that point. There was nothing I could do since there is no county noise ordinance, and apparently disturbing the peace did not apply. I did a happy dance the day the last one moved away from home.

To this day I cannot tolerate the "boom-boom" of someone's car stereo, no matter where I am. I can feel my BP going up.

I just can't comprehend some people's complete lack of consideration for others. Seems like our society is becoming increasingly and exponentially insensitive and selfish.

Inconsiderateness or thoughtlessness (maybe cluelessness that people don't know anyone else would be bothered by such wonderful music at the same dB as a Saturn V moon launch). And then there is orneryness, "nobody tells me what to do". Which most folk have to one extent or the other. Which makes it sometimes a little more productive to discuss such issues with great tact with neighbors so you don't trigger a "nobody tells me what to do" reflex.

When I played music, ran into a surprising number of "professional" musicians, who would be playing a gig some customer was paying them good money to show up, and if they would get volume complaints they would not only ignore the complaints, but they would turn up out of spite. Never could understand that. Music is an art if you are doing it on yer own dime, but its a commodity if somebody is hiring you do do it. It would be like a fellow working on the car assembly line who is too arty to build yellow cars. Red cars are the only ones "artistic enough" to bolt fenders on or whatever. If that guitar solo ain't at 140 dB it ain't artistic. The same thing at 80 dB is selling out, man.