In Need of a Rlooader

there are a number of mom & pop type setups that sell reloads legally via a FFL. You can find them at gunshows or the like, but it can be hard to locate one. Most them them sort of half hide from the public as they cannot keep up with demand. Not too long ago I got several boxes of 45 acp at about $11 per box from such a booth at a gunshow, and long ago I got a lifetime supply of 44 mags (well it was a lifetime supply at the time, before I got an automatic and just had the blackhawk).

Not sure about your area, but they exist. You are unlikely to find a random person willing to do this for you. I would do it for someone I know reasonably well, or more likely, loan them the use of my press and dies if they bring their own materials.

I have been tempted to get a FFL and try it, run a booth once a year at a show or something, but I can barely keep up with what I shoot, I would not have anything to sell :)

Guest canebreaker

I heard from co-workers when I started casting. "You can sell them and pay for the casting equipment."

I can't cast them fast enough for my own use since I have 11 shooters in the family.

you can sell cast bullets. You cannot sell live ammo. I do not know who would pay much for cast bullets --- it would depend on how many you can make how fast and at what expense --- but to my knowledge that is perfectly legal.

Edited by Jonnin

you can sell cast bullets. You cannot sell live ammo. I do not know who would pay much for cast bullets --- it would depend on how many you can make how fast and at what expense --- but to my knowledge that is perfectly legal.

Some people actually prefer lead to jacketed. I don't care either way but as a person who casts there is a lot of value in it.

Because I cast my own bullets I can LOAD 45 acp for under a nickel a shot.

Dolomite

All the people I know that reload will not, myself included, sell their reloaded ammo specifically because the legalities involved as well as the liabilities. Winchester, Federal, et. al., have MASSIVE liability insurance policies and entire legal teams available for the possibility of damage to persons and property.

As close as I ever get is letting a buddy I'm at the range with shoot one of my weapons with my ammo in it. We discuss ahead of time that while the weapons and ammo are mine, the liability is on them when they pull the trigger. If they have a problem with that, they can bring their own weapons and ammo.

It's not an "A-Hole" stance, it's a "CYA" stance.

Mac

• Like 1

All the people I know that reload will not, myself included, sell their reloaded ammo specifically because the legalities involved as well as the liabilities. Winchester, Federal, et. al., have MASSIVE liability insurance policies and entire legal teams available for the possibility of damage to persons and property.

As close as I ever get is letting a buddy I'm at the range with shoot one of my weapons with my ammo in it. We discuss ahead of time that while the weapons and ammo are mine, the liability is on them when they pull the trigger. If they have a problem with that, they can bring their own weapons and ammo.

It's not an "A-Hole" stance, it's a "CYA" stance.

Mac

Exactly and another thing, who'd want to shoot a stranger's reloads? I'd be hesitant to shoot a good friends loads [though I have] let alone someone else. How do you know what kind of gumby that guy is?

Some people actually prefer lead to jacketed.

Dolomite

Wait..what? Did someone call me?

Patrick If you lived close enough to me Id offer my equipment and shallow knowledge for you to use if you brought your own bullets,brass, primers and powder.

Im sure if you ask around you might find someone near you who would do the same.

Guest canebreaker

It's south of Mt. Juliet, cross Stones River and it's on your left. Outdoor range, open fri, sat and sunday. A lot of reloaders use it.

Some people actually prefer lead to jacketed. I don't care either way but as a person who casts there is a lot of value in it.

Because I cast my own bullets I can LOAD 45 acp for under a nickel a shot.

Dolomite

I prefer lead as well. And I buy cast bullets. But not at a very high price, that is a big part of the attraction. What I meant was, I do not see how a backyard caster can make much off it. I think I pay $30 for 500. From what I have seen, 500 bullets would be on the high side for 1 day's work (???) for a backyard caster.

I prefer lead as well. And I buy cast bullets. But not at a very high price, that is a big part of the attraction. What I meant was, I do not see how a backyard caster can make much off it. I think I pay $30 for 500. From what I have seen, 500 bullets would be on the high side for 1 day's work (???) for a backyard caster.

Unless you can afford to put a 12 grand Magma in your backyard, you are right. Casting is not necessarily a labor of thrift, it's a labor of love that, if you LOVE IT like I do, saves you a lot of $$$ but will cost you a fortune in time. I have a lot of time, so what do I care?

• Like 1
Guest canebreaker

I've looked at sites that sell cast bullets. Lets say 30 per 500, shipping is normally 15. They'll say 45 with free shippng. If you want more than 1 box, it's still 45 per 500 with free shipping. Other sites will let you get maybe 6 boxes for the 15 shipping.

Backyard casting with a 10# production pot and a 2 cav. mold, 500 bullets is a days work.

the place I buy from ships using the flat rate boxes, so if you have them fill a box, the shipping is pretty low for the quantity --- 15 for 6 boxes as you said, which is pretty reasonable per bullet.

I do not have the time to cast right now. I need to get the equipment and learn the process, even if I still buy bullets --- its a long term goal. One thing at a time, reloading was a big step all by itself.

I have done more than 500 a day a few times. I'm glad I am ahead of my reloading enough that I don't have to do that anymore. I've done a 1K in a day but we're talking an 8hr day, my back was feeling good, two tramadol and several Vault sodas while listening to The Prodigy. Get the rhythm and roll on. The next day I question my sanity as hobble through the day like Quasimodo.

Now I cast about 4 days a week through fall and winter to build an inventory for spring and summer.

Edited by Caster