.380 conversion for makarov?

I do.

and I have to say, I've been really impressed with the little dude.

I was a little shocked at how well I shot with it to be honest...

And aside from the ammo being a little pricey and scarce, I can't really find much fault.

that being said, anyone tried any of the .380 conversion barrels for it?

I found one online for 75$ and another for 39$.

just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of people have used them. It works fine. IIRC it is just a barrel replacement and maybe the recoil spring is lightened (?).

The barrel is not easily replaced in an "actual makarov" --- you need a "barrel press" to get one in and out or a gunsmith to do the work. The barrel is pushed into the frame HARD and not really meant to be removed!

This seems folly to me. 9x18 costs about like 9mm. 380 costs about 50% more. The 2 calibers are virtually the same unless handloading or carefully picking defense loads. All swapping to 380 does is cost more!

If you have something other than a PM, like a cz82 or feg, some of those can be convereted and some cannot.

Another thought: most of these guns are CHEAP. You can buy a 380 cal makarov for not much more than buying a barrel and paying a gunsmith to convert an existing one. Assuming $50 in labor and $80 for a barrel.... on a $200 gun....

Last thought: the PM in 9x18 is deadly accurate. I have made solid holes at 25 yards with it. I cannot vouch for the 380 at this accuracy.... I suspect it loses some of that. Much of the accuracy is the fixed barrel, but, I think the 9x18 cartridge is just inherently accurate and has an edge on the 380 --- I cannot prove it, but that is my opinion.

Edited by Jonnin

cool, thanks for the replies.

I think maybe I'm just not finding a good source for cheap 9x18 ammo.

its ben a little on the pricey side everywhere I've gotten it so far.

but what y'all are saying makes sense...

I believe I'll stick with the original barrel and quit over thinking it.

:P

I have to agree with the others, Mak ammo is cheaper. Of course, I don't see it at Walmart, though. I assume you want to convert, b/c the .380s are easier to find?

Also, you're likely to damage the frame trying to remove the old barrel yourself. These blowback style pistols have the semi-permanently attached barrels, like Jonnin said.

Seems like a lot of risk and extra cost (short-term and long-term), but it's your gun, so it's your call. I wish you luck however you decide to proceed.

Ever tried AmmoSeek.com? They help you search the interweb for lowest prices.

Not to criticize but if 9mm Mak is more than .380, you're doing something wrong.

brass cased 9x18 is very expensive, and yes, sometimes more than even 380. Even trashy brass cased is high, $15 a box or more. That is where the problem lies most often --- some stores that do have 9x18 often only have the brass cased, or worse, SD ammo.

brass cased 9x18 is very expensive, and yes, sometimes more than even 380. Even trashy brass cased is high, $15 a box or more. That is where the problem lies most often --- some stores that do have 9x18 often only have the brass cased, or worse, SD ammo.

$20 bucks for 20 rounds stuff, I think Hornady makes some stuff like that I think.

$20 bucks for 20 rounds stuff, I think Hornady makes some stuff like that I think.

hornady, corbon (no longer?), buffalo bore (probably the best?), a few others made SD makarov ammo. And places that have NO plinking ammo will carry a box or 2 of defense ammo in the caliber. Sellier and belliot sell brass cased plinking ammo which used to be quite a deal but is pricy now. I have not seen cheap brass cased in a long, long time.

Is Corbon no longer around? Or did another company buy them? I know I saw some of that uber-expensive lead shot filled, copper jacket, polymer ball tipped ammo recently. Academy is the only place that has "plinking" if you can call it that.

They are still around but no longer produce 9x18 ammo. They own glaser safety slug & powerball, which may or may not still come in 9x18 (I am not sure!). But the old corbon 9x18 JHPs are not produced.

edit looks like safety slug and power ball both still are made in 9x18 -- 70 grain rounds.

Edited by Jonnin
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest poboyspecial

I had my Mak converted over to 9x17 and now have a world of choices in ammo... just a thought. I love my Mak.

Not to criticize but if 9mm Mak is more than .380, you're doing something wrong.

If going to every gun store in my area (including academy and dicks) is doing something wrong, perhaps you would care to enlighten me how to do it right?

Kind of the point of my WHOLE THREAD.

Troll harder...

If you've got an academy sports near you they usually carry boxes of 9 x 18 for about eight or nine bucks.

And yeah, I heard that.

But the last seven times I've been in they've been out.

Lol.

But I LOVE this gun!

I have a five seven, glock 17, and a Beretta 9mm and the mak is my favorite to shoot for some reason. Kind of the mouse nugget of pistols I think.

:)

I took my CZ 82 out to the range yesterday and a couple of buddies went with me. They really liked the way the Makaorvs shoot and so did I. I'm shooting reloads in mine at the range and using Hornady ammo when I carry it.

I've always wanted to shoot a 'real' Makarov pistol to compare it to the CZ 82. Just curious, what Makarov do you own? Bulgarian? Russian?