After recent .410 posts I decided to make this.

I got bored last night in the garage so I decided to make a quick project for my .410. I am out of thread so I couldn't stitch anything and that's why it's riveted instead of sewn. I always like having extra ammo at hand and thought a holder for .410 would be nice since I already have a belt with 12 gauge shell holders on it. It's not great, but for all sake's and purposes it works.

2012-05-17015002.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks good. I like the riveted look. I went back and forth on the idea but after our discussion in the other thread I decided to put a sling on my .410 and incorporate a shell holder into it. I'll post pics over in that thread.

That might be a little frustrating, but I don't know. Kinda like a butt cuff for your arm. Hmm...

I don't know. I don't know if it is just Hollywood's version of old west attire or if they were really used but I have seen 'gunslingers' wearing leather wristlets/cuffs in some movies. I think the style of shell holder you have come up with wouldn't look bad, at all, incorporated into a set of those cuffs.

That looks good. I like the riveted look. I went back and forth on the idea but after our discussion in the other thread I decided to put a sling on my .410 and incorporate a shell holder into it. I'll post pics over in that thread.

I don't know. I don't know if it is just Hollywood's version of old west attire or if they were really used but I have seen 'gunslingers' wearing leather wristlets/cuffs in some movies. I think the style of shell holder you have come up with wouldn't look bad, at all, incorporated into a set of those cuffs.

I like the shell holder in the sling that you made. I think I might try that next only make it so that it can easily go on a sling or belt. Maybe make some kind of inserts so it won't slide so much, dunno. On the cuff idea, it would serve it's purpose, but might chafe you up a good deal. You would also me really sweaty under it, just my .02 cents.

I like the shell holder in the sling that you made. I think I might try that next only make it so that it can easily go on a sling or belt. Maybe make some kind of inserts so it won't slide so much, dunno. On the cuff idea, it would serve it's purpose, but might chafe you up a good deal. You would also me really sweaty under it, just my .02 cents.

I had other ideas for a way to make a shell holder that would be integral with the sling. I mostly went with the method I chose because I wanted to stay with the 'frontier' looking sling. I had considered going with a different overall 'look' that would have been a little more 'western' or, for lack of a better term, 'cowboy'. If I had gone that route, instead of braiding a sling I would have used a solid band of leather for the sling (something like a belt blank.) I would then have made a 'shoulder pad' type of thing - you know, a wider, maybe slightly padded piece like many modern slings have on them. It would have been three layers of leather with the shell loops cut into one face (like I did with the shell holder I made.) The 'cut' piece would have another leather piece of leather as a backing and the sling would be sandwiched between that second, backing piece and a third piece of leather that would form the actual back of the shell holder. The whole thing could be sewn up leaving a 'slit' for the sling to pass through that would be tight enough to allow the shell holder/shoulder pad to slide without it sliding randomly around or it could simply be sewn in place on the sling.

Right now, I am in the midst of forming another idea whereby I would make a leather buttcuff for my Henry lever .22 (probably no sling and certainly no forstock cover.) If I do that, since I think it would be a PITA to carry .22LR ammo around in a shell holder, I might incorporate a small ammo pouch onto the right side of the buttcuff (I am right-handed so I put my cheek against the left side of the buttstock) as long as I can place it so that it won't be in the way while being able to hold enough ammo to make it 'worth' it.

Before I do that, however, I kind of want to make myself a 'possibles bag'. I first thought of doing so for woods bumming but after looking at some designs/examples online I think I might want to made something with more of an EDC application in mind.

Edited by JAB