My Polish Tantal-Short review

I recently picked up a Century Polish Tantal in 5.45x39. I have to say I love it. I have read online on forums and such that this particular Century build had keyholing problems and what not. I took the chance on one, and it shoots great. I shot 3 different types of ammo today, 70gr Wolf MC FMJ, Monarch(Barnaul) 60gr FMJ, and Tulammo 60gr HP. None of the rounds keyholed. I didn't have the time to go the range, but I went down in the field and set some left over osp board up to shoot at. At roughly 50 yards, I put together a decent 2 inch group while standing up. The sights are little off to the right but my group was still pretty tight. The barrel is non chromed lined, and I do not know the rate of twist, but I think it's 1 in 7 or however you say it. Did a couple of mag dumps too, the only problem was one of the cases bulged and locked the bolt up while doing a little bumpfire, but we got it open by force. All in all, great day with my Polish Tantal, I plan to put a wood stock on it, as I don't care for the wire stock. On a side note, my Tantal falls under the supposed bad serial numbers that keyhole(TTL), but NO KEYHOLING!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aces&8s

Glad to hear you got a good one! I would really like to add one to my collection, but have been hesitant due to the mixed reviews. It is good to know that there are some good ones out there.

DSC00697.jpg

My Tantal is the top one. Mine is an InterArms and it's been fantastic.

Just in case you're wondering, the buttstock and pistol grip are from Tapco and the forend rail is from Midwest Industries.

I wasn't crazy about the wire stock either...and the good new is 1) They sell fast on the internet and 2) The Tantal's receiver takes any stock made for a stamped receiver.

Edited by TN-popo

Did you run into any problems installing that MI rail on the tantal? I know the tantal handguards are not interchangeable with most AK handguards.

Lower handguard is standard AK the top handguard is different. However, if the Top handguard attachs to the lower, like the MI, then they will work.

As to the keyholing, that was fixed a while back by Century. The first runs of those they tried using 5.56 barrels and it didn't work. ;) I have one and it is great. I love the keyholing stories because it meant I could get an awesome '74 variant under $500! :)

That's awesome, do you think a micro red dot on the top rail would hold zero?

It should. Those HG lock up pretty tight. However, I'd rather use the MI leaf sight mount. That way you know it will hold zero, you won't have the possible heat issue, and it mounts lower. Plus, I think it looks better balanced IMO. http://www.midwestin...category_id=421

Edited by Smith

It should. Those HG lock up pretty tight. However, I'd rather use the MI leaf sight mount. That way you know it will hold zero, you won't have the possible heat issue, and it mounts lower. Plus, I think it looks better balanced IMO. http://www.midwestin...category_id=421

Thanks for reminding me about the leaf mount. I looked at it a while back but I must have forgotten about it.