Need suggestions for 223 range ammo

Having only recently bought an AR15 and not really knowing anything about them, I bough a bunch of Tula ammo. The first time out I only shot 50-60 rounds, no problem. The second time out after about 60 rounds it was jam after jam, to the point I thought the gun was broken. After a thorough cleaning, my son and I took the gun to Norris saturday, same thing. After a couple of mags, jam after jam. One was stuck so bad it had to be punched out. We could continue shooting but every round had to be cycled manually. Rounds would eject weakly but would not load another round. I remembered I had a couple of mags of unknown brand brass cased ammo. Put them in and they ran without a single problem. All this just to say my AR doesn't like Tula ammo so I need suggestions for range ammo. I would rather not spend more than necessary but I want something that works. Suggestions?

Glenn

If you buy American made, regardless of brand, it will be better than Tula. You could also put about 500 quality American made ammo through your gun so it is well broken in then try the Tula again. Some new guns can have issues until they are broken in.

I have chronogrpahed Tula and their 55 grain bullets run ~2,850 or about 250 fps slower than most American made 55 grain ammo. It is giving you problems because they are weak. And from teh sounds of it they may be sticking in the chamber which is another issue when the barrel gets warm.

Now you can make a gun run on Tula but it requires the gas port hole to be opened up. But along with that you may get overgassing with quality ammo.

I would personally just avoid Tula and either by cheap American ammo or reload you own ammo. Reloading isn't hard at all and your reloads are going to be better quality than most ammo you can buy.

Dolomite

Guest bulluck533

I would go with PMC Bronze. Inexpensive and nice brass casings. Have gone through over 10000+rounds and never had a jam.

No more Tula for me. I have seen a friends M16s digest 100's (maybe 1,000's) of rounds of it without a hiccup but I am done with it. I just need to find a decent price on large quantities of something g better.

Glenn

Not sure but isn't tula and wolf junk coated with some sort of coating that becomes gooey when things get hot and sticks to the chamber that causes casings to become stuck? (Prevents rusting of the metal cases while on the shelf) The tight tolerance in the AR doesn't like that.

The AK eats that wolf tula crap alive no problem. But the tolerances aren't that exact either.

it is worth the trouble to find out if your ar will shoot it because of the low cost of the ammo.

I disagree.

Is the money you save really worth the pisspoor accuracy 99% of that russian swill provides? The number one reason the AK is NOT accurate is the cråp ammo they get fed. Do you really thing they can build .223/5,56 any better? I mean if all you want to do is make noise and blast rocks, sure, but that's like using a scalpel to butcher meat.

I have fired Tula ammo in guns that are known performers. My main AR runs Tula just fine but that is about all it can do. My AR is a solid 1/2" at 100 yards performer with handloads. It is a 1" performer with factory ammo it likes. When I feed it Tula the groups are 4"+ at 100 yards.

Here is a thread where I disected some Russian ammo:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/43882-i-found-out-why-your-ak-is-so-inaccurate-with-wolf/page__p__711858__hl__tula#entry711858

And don't think that because it is 7.62x39 that it is any different than their 223. Tula or Wolf the problems are the same.

Dolomite

• Like 1