Combat Pawn

Just seen this on True TV. Combat Pawn premier July 15. guess you will have to google it or see the ads on True Tv but looks very interesting. From what I can tell its another pawn show but all related to big guns.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hate to do it, never thought I would but I disagree with Dolomite.

I do believe the potential is good but I've been less than impressed with the image of gun owners presented on any of the shows.

The theory is good though, I'm sure they could make a show following many of the members of this forum around that would be great.

Anyway, I'll have to check this one out and see how they do with it.

Just for the record, what you and I may think of as desensitizing some may consider confirming.

As in confirming that the only people interested in firearms are either backwood rednecks or guys with big attitudes seeking to make maximum profits off the unknowing.

No offence intended to any country boys out here.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Well I hate to do it, never thought I would but I disagree with Dolomite.

I do believe the potential is good but I've been less than impressed with the image of gun owners presented on any of the shows.

The theory is good though, I'm sure they could make a show following many of the members of this forum around that would be great.

Anyway, I'll have to check this one out and see how they do with it.

Just for the record, what you and I may think of as desensitizing some may consider confirming.

As in confirming that the only people interested in firearms are either backwood rednecks or guys with big attitudes seeking to make maximum profits off the unknowing.

No offence intended to any country boys out here.

As is with any reality show, the folks portrayed are going to be the cream of the idiot crop. On top of that, since all reality shows are scripted with the scenarios being designed by the producers, those same idiots are going to be even more idiotistic than they are in real life. I'm glad reality shows came a long when they did, because it has saved me a lot of time not watching television since 99% of programming is exactly the same: reality show, cop drama or medical drama. Can't Grey's Anatomy just die already?

Considering those that are being desensitized are idiots the producers are probably just making the shows easier for them to understand. People want things to be as simple as they can so they can understand them. That is why a lot of these shows are getting dumbed down. Us, as a society, are dumber now than we were 20 or even 10 years ago so in order for a show to attect viewers it must be dumbed down as well. A person isn't going to watch a show that they don't understand or makes them feel like they are even dumber than they really are.

We all loathe Red Jacket but they have done a lot of good for us believe it or not. They were the first real gun show on a major network. I have talked to people and because they know I am into guns they mention how cool Red Jacket is, no doubt because of the show, and how they are going to buy a gun.Recently there has been a lot of people talking about American Guns. They may not realize it but they have done a lot of harm even though they are a bit more toned down. The reason is people think that the prices on the show is what guns really cost. That is a question I get asked among friend regularly "Does that gun really cost that muhc?". I tell them no and it is for the show to be more entertaining.

Dolomite

The reason is people think that the prices on the show is what guns really cost. That is a question I get asked among friend regularly "Does that gun really cost that muhc?". I tell them no and it is for the show to be more entertaining.

I’d tell them, they do if you get picked up in a helicopter to go sell them. :)

Guest Bass Junky

I use to work for these people and I did not stay long. Here in Fayetteville NC they are called Guns Plus. They are a bunch of posers. They want to be the Elite guys but they are really a couple military rejects. The owner Chris came into some money and open the shop, then he hired the rejects. If you watch the show and it is not acting and is real TV it won't take you long to see what I Iam talking about. When I worked there at the end of every night as we locked up they would go out swat style " M4's, tactical shotguns, pistols cocked and locked" in a line hands on shoulders, one person goes out scans as the next guy come out. I thought they were kidding with me when they told me, but they do it.

The business end of these guys has a bad reputation as well. Guns are over priced, they try to sale what they want you to buy not wh at your looking for. If you own a gun they don't personally like they will tell you that it's junky.

Please watch the show if you want to get a good laugh...

Guest mattitude

I worked there as well from June 2003 until Sept 2008 as the gunsmith (I believe that I know bass junky...were you the one who gave me your PS3 manual??) and I completely agree that they are all tools, except for Bernard, and that the show is 99% scripted complete with manufactured drama between the owner & manager. I saw 2 commericals and just had to laugh because it is so fake. First off Chris is almost never there and on top of that his firearm knowledge isn't that strong which means that the manager does all of the pricing and buying. When I saw Chris (in the commerical) tell a customer to either take the 25 dollars or take his thing and go out the door I couldn't believe it. In the 5 years I was there I NEVER saw him talk to a customer like that no matter what the situation.

Bottom line is that Guns Plus already has the reputation for being the highest priced shop in town with arrogant & condescending staff...now anyone who watches the show will see what clowns they really are. The TV network that they are on should clue you in to what type of show it is, come on Tru TV is nothing but trash and the show is on its 3rd name change. First it was "Danger Pawn" then it was a spin-off of Hardcore Pawn as "Hardcore Pawn: Fort Bragg" before settling on "Combat Pawn." I wonder where the "combat" part comes from.

I admit about being a little biased because I worked there and I know how they really are, but I always call it as I see it and I am being kind by calling this "show" a turd. I got stories...

I am glad to here that. I still watch red jacket for entertainment sake( nothing else on and they blow things up.) but that is getting ridiculous . I hate American guns. A diamond encrusted 1911 come on. I quit watching that on the helicopter pick me up to take these guns to customer. The way you can tell they set stuff up was Rick on the pawn show in Vegas had a rifle come in that supposedly belonged to Cap Hatfield on the night that Hatfield and McCoys premiered. Hmmmm. He didn't buy it and couldn't be proven that belonged to Cap Hatfield. That was when I called BS.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Guest mattitude

Yea Sons of Guns & American Guns are crap and I might say that they are mildly entertaining, but I'm sure that everyone shakes their head at a 4,000.00 Mossberg bolt action rifle or a 12 grand Colt SP-1 or every target must go up in high order. To call ANY of these shows "reality" is an insult to everyone's intelligence because there is little "real" about them. Nowadays pretty much anyone can get a reality show but unfortunately few of them across the board are even remotely good. Combat Pawn might have more entertainment as a comedy...but who knows they might actually get a few seasons out of it and time will tell if it's poison.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew within 30 seconds it was a bunch of retarded wannabes. The producers no doubt had them do do it for effect but they were doing a full on tactical movement from the parking lot to the front door. And every person had either an AR or an AK that was covered with rails and every inch of rail covered with something. Be it lasers, lights, red dots, you name they had it. And this was when they open up the shop.

Then every single customer than came in was in full "tactical operator" regalia with their rifle hanging from a single point. They all stood in the "proper" low ready stance with one hand on the grip and the other on the foreward grip.

At least they don't have the American Guns pricing scale.

But, without a doubt, it was all scripted. A young lady comes in and cusses the manager out. Then the manager goes and cusses the secreatary out. Then the owner goes and cusses the manager out. There was a lot lf bleeping going on and it has the same feel as Operation Repo except in a pawn shop.

I cannot say whether I will watch it again but at a bare minimum the show is putting guns on national television. And any exposure, as long as it isn't extreme, is a good thing.

Dolomite

I'm like Nostra-effing-domus.

I didn't watch it, but it sounds as if it exceeded my expectations of silliness. If these clowns actually had to employ their "tactics" on a two way shooting range they would wet themselves and probably never touch a firearm again. Losers.

Wannabees. If they want so bad to be operators or whatever they can take their fat, out of shape a$$es down to a military branch recruiter of their choosing, become men, then go use that tacticool crap for what it's intended. It's one thing to have an admirable collection; it's another to "play" Ranger in the parking lot of your gun store. Geez, I don't know what is worse; the fact they have their own show or the fact that a market for viewers actually exists.

They even made sure to throw in a few "war" stories.

Wheelchair guy said he had someone steal his air and he burned in from 75 feet. Screwed him up pretty bad. The counter guy, from the 75th no less, lifted his leg up and tapped on it with his knuckle. Not sure if it was an artificial leg or just a brace but it sounded plastic. He said they were coming in low and slow when he had a malfunction as he exited. He said it was LOW, as in 275 feet, when they exited and his canopy never opened. His quote "They dug me out of the Georgia clay".

Now I know miracles do happen. But falling from 275 feet and still able to walk and not be a doped up zombie from all the meds is pretty amazing.

I got to know a guy who burned in from 100 feet. He spent 359 days in the hospital. I met him years after it happened and he was still pretty F'd up. I know he broke all but I think it was 3 ribs, shattered both femurs, his head hit so hard it ruptured both eardrums and he had his knees wired together. He had a bunch of other injuries to, It messed with his cognative abilities and he spoke with a very strong because of it. And he said what saved his life is he landed on his pack and it forced him to do a PLF. He said he was stiff as a board as he burned in but hitting his bag saved his life. He was a hardcore MF'r, SF, AB, AA. I met him in PLDC, he was a cadre, and we became friends a few years later when we found ourselves at the same duty station. He said he hated working at PLDC. He had A LOT of awards and accountrments but he said the command would not let him wear everything on his A's because the other cadre would get upset because of all the extra attention he got. He said they told him to tone it down "for the students". I saw his DA photo and I would have a hard time standing up without leaning to one side. Again, one bad ass MF'r.

I will probably watch this show but realize it is for entertainment only. I know it got me worked up a few times which I guess is good.

Dolomite

They even made sure to throw in a few "war" stories.

The counter guy, from the 75th no less, lifted his leg up and tapped on it with his knuckle. Not sure if it was an artificial leg or just a brace but it sounded plastic. He said they were coming in low and slow when he had a malfunction as he exited. He said it was LOW, as in 275 feet, when they exited and his canopy never opened. His quote "They dug me out of the Georgia clay".

I'm wondering what year this war story took place. As far as I know there have been no jumps from such a low altitude in training. In fact, even low altitude static line jumps executed in combat were higher than that. Furthermore, doing the math in my head regarding how fast a falling object accelerates (9.8 m/s squared) and the time it takes a chute do deploy after jumping out of a C130 (4 secondsish) he would be a lawn dart before his chute would fully deploy and slow his decent.

Last I checked it wasn't easy to get permission to jump below 1,250 ft. Anything below 800 ft is gonna start negating even having a reserve chute, as by the time you realize that your primary has malfunctioned there won't be much time (less than a couple seconds) to activate your reserve and have it deploy.

Approval for a low jump altitude would have to get approval higher up than Regiment, and I don't see any GO looking at that risk assessment and saying "yeah, that's good training." Furthermore, no matter how gung-ho some folks want to be, there is an endless supply of smart folks to say "hey, we shouldn't jump at that altitude because the potential training gains are not worth the likely risks.

I guess what I'm saying is, the story is beyond complete BS. In fact, this a-hole claiming this should reach into the display, load the largest caliber pistol he has for sale and suck start it. Repeat as necessary.

I'm wondering what year this war story took place. As far as I know there have been no jumps from such a low altitude in training. In fact, even low altitude static line jumps executed in combat were higher than that. Furthermore, doing the math in my head regarding how fast a falling object accelerates (9.8 m/s squared) and the time it takes a chute do deploy after jumping out of a C130 (4 secondsish) he would be a lawn dart before his chute would fully deploy and slow his decent.

Last I checked it wasn't easy to get permission to jump below 1,250 ft. Anything below 800 ft is gonna start negating even having a reserve chute, as by the time you realize that your primary has malfunctioned there won't be much time (less than a couple seconds) to activate your reserve and have it deploy.

Approval for a low jump altitude would have to get approval higher up than Regiment, and I don't see any GO looking at that risk assessment and saying "yeah, that's good training." Furthermore, no matter how gung-ho some folks want to be, there is an endless supply of smart folks to say "hey, we shouldn't jump at that altitude because the potential training gains are not worth the likely risks.

I guess what I'm saying is, the story is beyond complete BS. In fact, this a-hole claiming this should reach into the display, load the largest caliber pistol he has for sale and suck start it. Repeat as necessary.

Quit sugar coating your opinion and tell is what you really think. :D