I finally got my AK!

and file a tiny bit off the mag catch and it'll be just fine.

Ehhh, I wouldn't do that. Modify each magazine until they fit. If you start removing material from the mag catch, you'll be lowering the position of the magazine in the rifle. Even a little bit can make a difference. Seen it before. Easier and cheaper to work each of you magazines over until they work.

Found out the hard way on my first Yugo build. I was getting failure feed issues. Ended up replacing it and adjusting the magazines. Then it run like a raped ape.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Yep with Saigas you just file the slightest bit off the mag catch. You have to for standard mags to fit. It's just part of the conversion process.

Edited by bkelm18
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest The Dude

not only file the mag catch, but if you run mil-spec mags, then you'll likely have to modify the mag just above the front locking lug. basically take your factory mag, file the built in bullet guide, and do the same with a dremel to the hi-cap mag. the reason for this is the front trunnion on the saiga is a sporter trunnion, for import purposes, and not a mil-spec trunnion. if you don want to do this to the mag, the take some material off the trunnion itself, where the mag makes contact with it, but still have to take some off the mag release. and dont be hesitant about it. you dont just "touch" it. file on it for around 15-20 seconds or more then fit the mag. if not, you'll make an all day event on filing the mag catch.

I apologize for my delayed response, didn't set my email up on my new phone 2 months ago. Only recently set it up because my children's scool constantly send emails.

I almost exclusively use my smartphone to surf the web. My home power was out but I can always charge my phone in my Ford Excursion. I'm a little spoiled since I'm grandfathered in with an unlimited data plan. My power was out but not my cellphone tower.

I reread my post and realize I wasn't clearly explaining my 2 different Saga 223 conversions. The first does not have a bullet guide installed. I cleaned it when I traded for it, and haven't cleaned or even lubed since. It runs flawlessly with the factory mags and heavily used Surefires that came with it. I ran out of Wolf and now shoot Hornady Stamped steel case practice ammo.

My second Saiga does have a bullet guide installed. I clean it every time and lube before shooting. Just like i do AR type rifles.

After drooling over the pics again I'm still envious of your gorgeous AK. Kevin