Mitt Romney Vs Ron Paul - Who Do You Choose?

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest Lester Weevils

RP would be the dream candidate for gun owners, but I truly have a distaste for his willingness to allow legalization of drugs. Romney will be OK, I believe he can help stabilize the economy and won't be a disaster when it comes to important social issues such as gun control.

Therein lies a problem with intolerance. If we were a true democracy, I bet that this very day there are more people in favor of legalizing drugs and banning guns. So in a two-wolves-and-a-sheep election, they get to keep their drugs and you must give up your guns. Being as we are (theoretically) a constitutional republic, and there is massive inertia to change built into the system (which is a good thing), it will take awhile to legalize drugs and ban guns, but that is the end state of intolerance in our culture, because democratic votes fuel the republic and eventually the majority will get its way.

So the best long term strategy for you to keep your guns, is to encourage tolerance and support politicians who would ban neither guns nor drugs. Politicians who refuse to use use the power of government to tell everybody how to live and what to think. Our only hope to preserve many freedoms, including some which you or I might not approve, is to encourage tolerance and respect for adults to make their own decisions. If you don't want to be treated like a child by big brother and have your guns confiscated "for your own good" then it would be wise not to treat another fellow like a child and take away his tobacco, coffee, booze or pot "for his own good". Karma. What goes around comes around. You meet the same people on the way down as you met on the way up. Treat em nice on the way up and perhaps they will be inclined to treat you nice on the way down. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I approve guns and don't generally approve of drugs, but I strongly disapprove the government treating adults like retarded children.

Edited by Lester Weevils

The misconception is that I vote to help Romney or Obama. I don't. I vote for my posterity and principals.

Please explain how a vote for any loser, regardless of the margin, benefits posterity, your direct own, or in general.

By the way, it's "principle" on which you wish to stand. Henry Clay said, "I'd rather be right than President". That proved to be true, 5 times, but he didn't affect posterity in any way as much as did the various folks who beat him.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

Please explain how a vote for any loser, regardless of the margin, benefits posterity, your direct own, or in general.

By the way, it's "principle" on which you wish to stand. Henry Clay said, "I'd rather be right than President". Well I suppose he was, but he didn't affect posterity in any way as much as did his opposition.

- OS

Ah darn, you got me on the principle. Thanks for correcting me.

You view it as voting for a loser, I view it as supporting the person closest to my beliefs. It helps mine by teaching them not to settle and follow their principles even in the face of adversity.

I feel for the folks who think the sky is falling and what not, but after watching the elections through my lifetime, I can only surmise it's because of people settling on who they think others will vote for. I'm certain that no one here can guarantee how either bozo will act or what they will or won't accomplish the next four years. So it's purely speculation at this point and well, speculation aint worth a crap to me.

....I feel for the folks who think the sky is falling and what not, but after watching the elections through my lifetime, ...

For what it's worth, I've seen about 5 more election cycles that you, and really DO believe that this one is unique in my life. It may well be too late anyway, but if not, 4 more years of Obama and whatever legacy continues after that will seal it for both your own progeny and the extended posterity.

Certainly, Mitt is by far an imperfect standard bearer, but what's unprincipled with supporting him over what may for all practical purposes be the frigging AntiChrist?

You DO have "skin" in this game, and the stakes are very real for them.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, I've seen about 5 more election cycles that you, and really DO believe that this one is unique in my life. It may well be too late anyway, but if not, 4 more years of Obama and whatever legacy continues after that will seal it for both your own progeny and the extended posterity.

Certainly, Mitt is by far an imperfect standard bearer, but what's unprincipled with supporting him over what may for all practical purposes be the frigging AntiChrist?

You DO have skin in this game, and the stakes can be very real for them.

- OS

Not debating how many more election cycles you have seen. Hell you're OhShoot who has seen, done and knows everything there is to know.

I've been watching the sky fall for too long and am over the prospect of worrying about it. If it finally falls, then so be it. It only came 16 years later than I expected. I support nothing about Mit, how about that? Yall are asking me to support someone who I view just as bad. I get that yall have a different perspective and that's great. Nothing like a little variation.

The political factions in this country are to blame. Asking me to join the faction, when they put forth the status quo which I despise it ludicrous. One more step down the staircase does not benefit me any more than the possibility of a fast descent. At least if it moved quicker all the freakin frogs would actually recognize it.

Hell, perhaps if it finally fell folks would get the hell out from in front of the idiot box, go outside and perform some real work and form their own opinions and thoughts.

Guest ThePunisher

I've been scratching my head the last four years wondering how the heck someone so unqualified and unknown as the commie Obama, could possibly get elected POTUS having a Muslim name, and the US fighting a war against Islamist radicals. Now after witnessing the commie the last three and half years on the job destroying the economy with green energy policies, siding with Arab enemies of Israel, trampling on the constitution, destroying the best healthcare system in the world, destroying jobs, creating runaway spending and debt, attacking capitalism, becoming the food stamp president, siding with the UN on small arms treaty that will affect US sovereignty and the 2nd Amendment rights; how can anyone with a brain still vote for the commie Obama, or even waste their vote on a third party candidate that only benefits Obama getting re-elected?

There are several here that are not being very logical, unless of course they truly love the Marxist/communist policies of Obama. He is a confirmed Marxist intent on transforming American capitalism and constitutional law. Tell me why you are still intent on voting third party, when it will only re-elect Obama. Why do you want to be complicit in destroying our great country.

Edited by ThePunisher

You seriously see this all as just having started four years ago? If so, then there is nothing I can do to explain it to you and it is apparent you are stuck in the left right paradigm as with the majority of folks. The slow frog boil is working.

Why are you complicit in destroying our great country by continuing to support the lesser of evils?

When running in 1994:

Romney supported the Brady Bill and a ban on assult weapons.

Romney supported gay marriage.

Romney supported abortion.

Romney supported homosexuals in the military.'

as Governor:

Romney raised Capital Gains and business taxes

Romney raised the majority of fees for licenses and permits in MA.

Romney passed a state funded healthcare initiative.

Romney banned Assault Rifles

You see a tomato and I see another freakin commie.

Guest ThePunisher

You seriously see this all as just having started four years ago? If so, then there is nothing I can do to explain it to you and it is apparent you are stuck in the left right paradigm as with the majority of folks. The slow frog boil is working.

Why are you complicit in destroying our great country by continuing to support the lesser of evils?

When running in 1994:

Romney supported the Brady Bill and a ban on assult weapons.

Romney supported gay marriage.

Romney supported abortion.

Romney supported homosexuals in the military.'

as Governor:

Romney raised Capital Gains and business taxes

Romney raised the majority of fees for licenses and permits in MA.

Romney passed a state funded healthcare initiative.

Romney banned Assault Rifles

You see a tomato and I see another freakin commie.

Evil is evil no matter how you slice it, dice it or cut it. Voting the lesser of two evils is how you eventually eliminate evil altogether. If you think that Romney is more or equal in evil terms, then I question your reasoning abilities, just as I'm sure you're questioning my reasoning and logic. I'm convinced you are happy with Obama or you would do everything in you power to try to defeat him. Your logic is self defeatng and destructive to our country just as Obama's is destructive to our country. Be happy in your hard made bed, because you've made it hard. Get ready to learn comradeship of the communist party.

Evil is evil no matter how you slice it, dice it or cut it. Voting the lesser of two evils is how you eventually eliminate evil altogether. If you think that Romney is more or equal in evil terms, then I question your reasoning abilities, just as I'm sure you're questioning my reasoning and logic. I'm convinced you are happy with Obama or you would do everything in you power to try to defeat him. Your logic is self defeatng and destructive to our country just as Obama's is destructive to our country. Be happy in your hard made bed, because you've made it hard. Get ready to learn comradeship of the communist party.

If you think I am happy with Obama then as my grandma used to say... you've got another think coming.

On another note are you a yankee or a southerner?

Not debating how many more election cycles you have seen. Hell you're OhShoot who has seen, done and knows everything there is to know....

Seems a bit harsh on the satire ... even if it is accurate. ;)

But I can tell you that I'm closer to your POV than you think -- unlike you, though, if BHO is reelected I'll probably go full tilt boogie apathetic. As tough as it will be for an old news junkie (ie "contemporary historian"), I may well have to just absolutely tune out. Just don't think I can stand the day to day national degradation any more.

Might do the same with Mitt too; he's about as imperfect a set of attributes I can imagine as a GOP nominee; but at least I'll be able to tune in for a few years to reserve judgement. I actually have a strange feeling he may turn out to be as effective a prez as we've had in a long while. But only if elected.

But hey, if America wants BHO, America gets BHO. May we wear our many new chains lightly.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Seems a bit harsh on the satire ... even if it is accurate. ;)

But I can tell you that I'm closer to your POV than you think -- unlike you, though, if BHO is reelected I'll probably go full tilt boogie apathetic. As tough as it will be for an old news junkie (ie "contemporary historian"), I may well have to just absolutely tune out. Just don't think I can stand the day to day national degradation any more.

Might do the same with Mitt too; he's about as imperfect a set of attributes I can imagine as a GOP nominee; but at least I'll be able to tune in for a few years to reserve judgement. I actually have a strange feeling he may turn out to be as effective a prez as we've had in a long while. But only if elected.

But hey, if America wants BHO, America gets BHO. May we wear our many new chains lightly.

- OS

:)

Been full tilt apathetic since the digital switch. If I didn't have to make a living of this damn thing I'd give up technology for the most part. If I'd known this is how we'd end up, I'da forsook my trs80.

That is a really pathetic outlook. Either someone votes the way you and others vote or they are supporting Obama. I get so tired of hearing this crap. This country wasn't founded and wars to protect individual liberties were not fought so citizens could have a choice between either the Republican or Democrat candidate. I believe, even though I don't always act on it, is that an individual should vote their conscience and who they like best. Those (myself included) that engage in some half-baked political strategy should not criticize those who choose not to participate.

I wish a lot of people would listen to what they say or read what they write. Individuals who desire a positive change in this country's direction are being criticized for it because they are going to vote according to their desire. Ron Paul is out, and he is not coming back this election. However, Johnson is still running and is ever bit as conservative/libertarian as Paul. Those that vote for Johnson are not electing or supporting Obama; they are doing the exact opposite. The only people who are supporting and electing Obama are the ones who will be voting for him. It is only those people who deserve an abundant amount of criticism.

I am trying hard not to become a cynic, but this election cycle has made it very difficult. I often wonder if Carlin had it right when he said our only real choice in this country is paper or plastic.

Warning! Bad language, not safe for work.

[media=]

[/media]

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Reality sucks man!