carry on a TVA lake

Guest m&pc9

btw.... if you guy's non arguments are valid, then that would mean all Highway Interstates are technically under control of the U.S. Dept Of Transportation Federal Highway Administration... so all the Interstates would be "federal property" meaning you couldnt carry/transport a firearm on them either???

Just trying to get you guys to see this from my side... B)

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to toss another question into this discussion. If I am carrying while lawfully trout fishing in a National Forest or WMA stream then would this apply? I understand what the guidelines are for National Forests and WMA's,This has been a very interesting thread to read.

(2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351;

(3) At the person's:

(A) Place of residence;

(:D Place of business; or

© Premises;

(4) Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;

(5) By a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory animals;

It looks pretty legal to me to carry whatever kind of firearm you wish while taking part in outdoor activities, such as hiking, camping, fishing, trapping and so on.

Edited by steamnsteel
additional comments
Just to toss another question into this discussion. If I am carrying while lawfully trout fishing in a National Forest or WMA stream then would this apply? I understand what the guidelines are for National Forests and WMA's,This has been a very interesting thread to read.

I can't say for sure, but I'd say, without a permit, No. Because a handgun is not required or used to fish. Now if you had a knife and was using it for cleaning the fish, then I think it would be legal to have the knife.

I understand this is totally anecdotal, but I'm going to share.

I had a couple of TWRA guys who work Percy Priest come talk to some guys I'm taking fishing over the next two days. As I was walking them out I asked them about HCP on Priest since that has been a discussion on here.

They will recognize HCP permits. Technically you're not supposed to have them at the boat ramp, but it's not something they were going to enforce. Both agents acted like one would be foolish *not* to carry if they were out fishing on Priest, especially if they were going solo and possibly loading their boats up after dark.

Just thought I would share.

Most police aren't going to hassle honest folks with permits (sometimes without permits) who aren't making fools of themselves in public. The nice thing about TN, the way i understand the law, i could have a shotgun in my boat, since i'm fishing...use it for snake protection!

• 4 months later...
Guest redbarron06

Well I looked over the first 8 or nine pages and nobody brought one one small little point. TVA does not own any lakes. The US Army Corps of Engineers do. They build the dams. They lease property to TVA. In the case of Percy Priest they have leased a great amount of the shore to TWRA. See Percy Priest WMA with a great deal of shotgun and muzzel loaders hunting. Note for example that some of the shore in Smyrna is not WMA. That is because it is leased by the National Guard.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MikeH
Well I looked over the first 8 or nine pages and nobody brought one one small little point. TVA does not own any lakes. The US Army Corps of Engineers do. They build the dams. They lease property to TVA. In the case of Percy Priest they have leased a great amount of the shore to TWRA. See Percy Priest WMA with a great deal of shotgun and muzzel loaders hunting. Note for example that some of the shore in Smyrna is not WMA. That is because it is leased by the National Guard.

TVA actually does own lakes and rivers all over the south. Tims Ford Lake and a lot of the Elk River Basin is owned by TVA. My neighbor is a TVA officer and advised that even though the ramps at some places are posted, most officers wouldn't enforce that since they are so few and far between (he covers southern middle TN and a lot of northern AL).

• 4 months later...

This is VERY wrong. TVA built its own dams. The USACE has no input or control over TVA lakes or Dams. TVA cooperates with the USACE in matters of of the Clean Water Act and the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899, but has primacy on the Tennessee and it tributaries through the TVA Act. TVA hires the USACE to operate the locks. It also cooperates with the Corps in flood operations. Almost all TVA land is posted "No Firearms", but there are/have been exceptions, the firing range at Gallatin, for one.

The rivers should be treated like an Interstate or other federal highway. You cannot drive through a posted parking lot to get to the highway, but once there you should be legal.

TVA hires the USACE to operate the locks.

This is correct. A lockmaster at Wilson Dam who was a USACE employee told me the same thing when I was locking through. TVA owns and USACE operates. Also, if you look at river charts it shows TVA boundry, not USACE boundry.

• 1 year later...