Sig RCS, Smith 1911SC...Thoughts?

FX4F150

Ok Fellas...I don't want to get in to the battle of necessarily which is better but maybe why. Everyone's trigger figer is different and it may possibly come down to looks and feel. I am looking for a possible 1911 carry. Something in a 4"(ish) that will be comfortable. My frame doesn't warrant the carry of a full size. Now, i know that the Smith is lighter, but does that make it better? The Sig is cheaper, does that make it better? Both are fairly refined. I would love to hear from you 1911 owners as to why or why not. These are all opinions, i know. Another factor will be price, but if the Smith is that much nicer, i'll pay it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drv2fst

I have a S&W 1911 with the scandium frame. I really like it. It has been 100% reliable and is very light. I like the lighter frame. I also like that S&W has a more classic 1911 look than the Sig's. While I'm sure the sigs are fine pistols, their look is too square for the 1911 for me. After all, I switched to the 1911 to get away from square guns.

I had a Sig C3 (essentially an RCS without the night sights), and it was a great gun. My only complaint was that it was picky about magazines.

I haven't tried any of the S&W smaller models, but have a SW1911PD full-size, and it is a fantastic shooter.

I have also had a few 3" and 3 1/2" 1911s over the years, and just wasn't crazy about any of them.

I have a RCS and to me it is the perfect 1911 (Commmander slide on a Officers frame). It is accurate and reliable. It is in my carry rotation. As far as the external extractor 1911s, the latest Sigs and Smiths have got it right. I also have a budget but very reliable Philippine made AC Commander in my carry rotation. Bottom line find something you like and trust with your life.

Edited by tacturtle

I have actually heard about the holsters being a PITA. I was looking in to a Dan CCO from one of our members, but i cant get to him. Too far. So i am looking into the next best one. Smith is a VERY reliable company and so is Sig and yes the Sigs are a little square, but i don't think anyone will argue too much when it comes to a 1911, they are are elegant and sleek. I'm finding it very difficult to spend $1000+ because of all of the decisons. I also have 3 sons that i will want to hand these guns down to, so, no offense to anyone, but i want something nice.

I am planning to hand down all of my toys, but not for them to be able to sell. They could if they chose, but more of a family item. Any specific reason to go with Colt, besides name and lifetime no questions asked warranty? I think with any 1911, depending on the environment, there will be issues. So, that being said, i am NOT against Colt at all, but it's like Chevy owners or Ford owners. They like them only because they have one and it's not failed them yet, but they break down too! I have always wanted a Colt for that "nostalgic" reason of history, but i can't find any other reason. They are just as over priced as the others. I AM definately willing to spend money on a great carry that could save my life or my families life.

I have and carry a SW1911 TA (for~4 months now), and I weigh only 140lbs. I know you would rather have the (slightly) shorter slide, but the 5" tends to be a little more reliable, and it is a sweet gun to shoot. With a good holster, most handguns can be carried comfortably. If you want an heirloom, I would recommend a steel frame and I have yet to have any issues with my S&W1911 (>400 rounds over which half was steel cased ammo). Just be sure to purchase replacement parts for whatever you decide on, so that it can be used for a looooong time. A friend of mine has a Springfield TRP, you may want to look at that too. It's a pretty sweet gun.

Thanks for the info hous95. I hava Springfield Loaded and a Longslide, and a few others, but i really want to go 4" for carry. And i recently learned about a Sig "fastback" (bobtail) that i am looking at. Althought the SW1911SC has is beat in weight. This is gonna be tough.