Anyone use a Harvey deprimer?

Guest Travtastik

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Travtastik

Hopefully they have enough escape velocity to exit our world and land in another dimension.

Dolomite

I think that model cost a little more.

It is adding a step but I don't see it as a big deal running on a progressive press. I like that I can use it away from home, and away from the bench if needed.

I just can't figure out why you would want to deprime the cases first when the sizing die does it during the sizing process. You are still going to have to size the brass.

Dolomite

Maybe if you have a bunch of filthy brass and like to tumble after depriming? That way you wouldn't foul up the sizing/depriming die.

i want it for military brass. So can swage the primer pockets before I clean them. Also sometimes that brass will fight you in the press. I have also encountered some Berdan primed cases mixed in and using a progressive I have broken the decapping pins before I caught it. But I agree that if the primer just pops out onto the ground it can't be in my carpeted living room.

Guest Lester Weevils

The Harvey design looks similar to the leverage principle of the dillon military crimp swager tool. Perhaps it would work pretty efficient sitting with a trash bucket between the feet, popping primers into the bucket like shucking peas.

Couple of years ago saw a few hand-deprimers specialized for certain calibers, that looked like funky-shaped pliers. Those seemed marketed toward cowboy rounds and people who like to load a few rounds right at the shooting bench.

I've been depriming for the last year or so with a lee hand press and universal deprime die. Maybe the Harvey is quicker. It is smaller than the lee hand press. Am guessing the lee hand press can deprime just as fast as the Harvey, however. Or real close to the same speed.

I tumble, hand-deprime, hand-prime, and load on the dillon square deal b progressive. Removed the deprime pin from the size die on the SDB, so it works fine with clean primed brass. Started doing that so I could uniform the primer pockets between deprime and prime steps. Am happier with primer seating after starting doing it thataway.

The extra steps take more time, but some time is regained because with primed brass I can output loaded rounds much faster with the dillon. Not having to fill the dillon primer tubes and not having to take so much time feeling for the primer seating on the dillon. The RCBS hand prime tool has a better feel and seats more consistently, especially with uniformed primer pockets.

Before getting the lee hand press for depriming, for awhile would size-deprime out in the shop on the dillon in one pass, then take the brass back in the house to watch tv and uniform the brass, then take it back out to the dillon to prime and complete loading, but I can shuck out the primers in the living room with the lee hand press quicker than standing up at the bench working the cases thru the dillon.

I want to start marking the uniformed cases and try running them thru the dillon without uniforming "the second time around" to see if once uniformed, loading/priming goes faster/better on the dillon without the extra steps.

Edited by Lester Weevils