Survival Gear

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Voodoo_1

Brian,

I had to go back and look them up. They are a bit pricey!

Cruiser - $350.00

Mariner - $450.00

Sandstorm - $400.00

I agree that all should come with all the accessories.

It'd be cheaper to put together one's own survival kit... realistically...

Besides, a shotgun with just a pistol-grip would be more difficult for some people to use effectively. I'd prefer a folding stock, at least.

Or,

One of these would fit into a much smaller pack... if money is not as much of a concern.

super_shorty_870.jpg

http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Or,

One of these would fit into a much smaller pack... if money is not as much of a concern.

super_shorty_870.jpg

http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

That's odd, Dan and I were just looking at those yesterday. There's a class 3 dealer in Franklin that has a version that's a little bigger than that one. The beauty of that gun is that it's a smoothbore pistol and only subject to the $5 AOW tax if you buy it like it is instead of the $200 tax on a short barreled shotgun. :stare:

Guest macho999

I keep coveralls, boots, a boggin, a pistol, jumper cables, a jack and tire iron.

If whatever I get into takes more than that then I'd probably rather die anyway.

Some of you sound like you carry more gear around than Daniel Boone did. I work in some pretty out there rural areas and live in what most of you would consider a rural area. The only piece of gear I've ever used in a breakdown was my thumb to hitch a ride to town.

You can survive for days without food. I don't believe you can walk for days in TN or KY and not run into a town or some people who can help you. So if you're carrying around spears and traps to catch food for when your vehicle gets stuck somewhere, you may consider you'd probably waste more time trying to catch a meal in the wild than it would take to get to a mcdonalds if you'd of started walking right off the bat.

I keep coveralls, boots, a boggin, a pistol, jumper cables, a jack and tire iron.

If whatever I get into takes more than that then I'd probably rather die anyway.

Some of you sound like you carry more gear around than Daniel Boone did. I work in some pretty out there rural areas and live in what most of you would consider a rural area. The only piece of gear I've ever used in a breakdown was my thumb to hitch a ride to town.

You can survive for days without food. I don't believe you can walk for days in TN or KY and not run into a town or some people who can help you. So if you're carrying around spears and traps to catch food for when your vehicle gets stuck somewhere, you may consider you'd probably waste more time trying to catch a meal in the wild than it would take to get to a mcdonalds if you'd of started walking right off the bat.

I don't know about everyone else but my bag wasn't originaly packed for the purpose of my truck breaking down, but it could work for that so I grab it if I know I'm traveling out of town.

Guest Voodoo_1

Archi,

That is the perfect match for the Mossberg JIC. A .460 cal pistol and a 12 ga. shotgun loaded with 00 buck would tend to make one feel a little more at ease.:D

mine too teague,

In my jeep I carry a 200 ft. coil of rope (new england dry weave) a poncho liner, lighter, flashlight and some tools.

I never go anywhere without a light, a source of fire and a knife...not a rambo knife..just a short little kershaw thats sharp as can be.

of course the pistol is there too...

I'm with you Macho. I carry car fix-it-up gear in my car so I can hopefully make it to a place that fixes cars. Not much "survival" gear. While I have jumper cables and a Halon fire extinguisher (wish you could still buy those) they are not survival gear.

This time of year about the only thing I have in the trunk that might qualify as survival gear are a jacket and some big plastic bags. You can do a lot to stay alive and live in relative luxury if you can stay warm and dry with a few plastic bags. :D

I guess I have a bit of an advantage when I am in the wifes car. We usually have a diaper bag that has a bit of food, some juice, and baby wipes. Say what you will, but along with the pistol and the tie down straps in the car I could probably go for a while. I do need to get a lighter and flashlight and keep it in the car just in case.