Current 9mm Defense Loads

I have tried many different brands and feel comfortable with many of them.

Currently I'm running 115gr Hornady Critical Defense. Zombie max is about $15 per box in my area compared to $19 for the standard CD and I'll use that zombie stuff to test function in a new pistol, I know it's the same stuff and it's a personal preference not using Zombie max for carry.

I have seen and used Black Talons and know the back story and that the Ranger T line is the same difference. What I can't figure out for the life of me is why some folks will pay up to $60 per box for the stuff (Saw that price at a gun show awhile back). Teflon coated, bullet proof vest piercing non sense aside, even if it were true wouldn't get me to pay that much or anywherebnear that price. Guess there's a sucker born every minute.

There is all the difference in the world between a 380 and a 9mm +P. Energy is not the only thing to consider; momentum is a big deal in handgun rounds. The difference in momentum between a 380 and a 147 +P is huge, while the energy difference is lower due to the squared velocity. That momentum ensures the 9mm will exit an attacker, rather than just stop after hitting a bone or something like a 380.

Both energy and momentum are important in a handgun. Rifles tend to reach potent energy levels and make up for the low mass (most rifle rounds weigh less than average handgun rounds...!) with raw energy, but handguns cannot get to that level. If energy alone would do it, you would see on the shelf bullets made of aluminum that weigh like 20 grains or something.

That was a tongue in cheek comparison. I was over simplifying P=MV. My original statement was assuming a certain velocity is needed to move a certain mass to effective ballistics. If you take too much velocity from the 9mm you negate it's mass and thus you get what I called a "heavy .380" . .45's overcome their deficiency in velocity by using more mass. It works on the same principal but from the complete opposite direction. That's why effectiveness is nearly identical (in SD rounds) between a .45 and a 9mm.

I believe we are agreeing? ;)

Hornaday 115g Critical Defense is what I have today.

+1, and 2, and 3, and I think 4... there may be more.

My reasoning is because they cycled flawlessly through my LCP. I guess I got carried away and bought them for my LC9, .38 Spl S&W 642 & Model 10, and my S&W Model 65 .357 Magnum. They also come in the same weight that I shoot in target rounds, so I "believe" there shouldn't be any surprises if I ever have to use my weapopn in a self defense situation.

It must have been one of my OCD moments... but I feel comfortable with my decision.

Guest Lester Weevils

Usually Hornady "custom" 124gn xtp hp. Muzzle velocity (presumably 4" barrel) is published 1110 fps, so it probably isn't even +p ammo. And some say the XTP bullet ain't as good as some other designs. But it feeds OK and goes bang. Haven't chrono'd in the 3.6" barrel carry gun. Ought to do that sometime. In the 4.9" barrel beretta 92 it cronos a little faster than 1150 fps IIRC. Made 1000 "copy cat" reloads of 124gn XTP but ended up with em a little faster than the hornady custom, averaging near 1200 fps in the beretta 92.

Sometimes carried Corbon 124gn +p but I shot all of em up and didn't get any more lately. Those things are hot as a firecracker. I usually shoot out the carry mag on each range visit to make sure it goes bang so eventually it gets used up. Can't recall the fps when I chrono'd it, except was wondering how the heck they made it go so fast without blowing up the gun.

Some say that a bullet can be "too fast" to perform optimally as well as too slow, but dunno anything about it and you can read about anything on the internet. Next time I tote the chrono to the range ought to test various ammo in the 3.6" barrel carry gun. Would be interesting to know, but I'm not real concerned that one fairly hot hp would be marginally better than some other fairly hot hp. Hopefully I never have to put em to practical use.