How to determine your CLEO - C&R question

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if you live inside a city, then you go to the cities PD chief, if in the county outside city limits, then the Sheriff.

Im sorry if my answer wasn't correct or caused any confusion. I was basing it on a Q&A on the ATF's web page: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#necessary-le-certifications

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

[27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

The language used on their site leads me to believe that it really dosn't matter whether it be county or city as long as he/she's the CLEO of that entity. But Im certainly no expert.

Edited by barewoolf

It's just my opinion, but I bet if you're in a non-metro city, either the city police chief or the county sheriff would be fine. Especially with a C&R. BATFE might be more particular/meticulous in checking on Class-3 items. If you're in the county, it's definitely the county sheriff.

You could always call the city PD and ask if they want it, or for it to go to the sheriff.

Edited by monkeylizard

Since no action is required from the CLEO, it's not critical the right office gets it. I doubt the BATFE would even know if you threw it in the trash. (Not saying you should).