AK - Egyptian Maadi Question...

creeky

My wife has an Egyptian Maadi Ak. Thumb hole laminated stock, couple of mags, yada, yada, yada...

AK.jpg

She really likes it. We've had it for a really long time.

I mentioned to her that you can get AK variants in .223 now.

Since I have an AR, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea for her

to replace hers with one in .223 when we run out of 7.62x39.

(We have about 6-700 rounds left.) It would kick less and I honestly

think she would enjoy it more. (Farm girl, not afraid of recoil mind you.)

Also I reload .223 and have about 3k in brass.

She went from "Absolutely NOT! I love my AK! Sell your AR if you want one so bad." to "I'll think about it... but I'd rather shoot one first."

Baby steps guys... baby steps... :)

My Questions:

• What is the going prices for AK's in .223?

• Who makes good ones?

• What could she expect price wise for her Egyptian Maadi Ak.

• Does this sound like a dumb idea? Honestly?

Thanks for any input on this guys (gals implied but not expressly stated).

**Note! This weapon is NOT for sale at this time! That is her call.

Edited by creeky
Covering my butt in case my wife reads this post!!!!
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CleanSeries80

i had bought a Romanian SAR 3 in 5.56 for $300 that was in really good shape. that was about 4 years ago though. it was a great rifle. no failures of any kind and accurate. it's just really hard to find mags for them.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

Convert a Saiga. I love mine. There's also the Galil, but they're pricey. One thing to consider........the AK-pattern rifle will probably dent the heck out of your brass upon ejection. You'll have to play with it and do some doctoring to avoid this.

Edited by Abominable_Hillbilly

Hadn't thought about it being hard on the brass. Never paid

any attention to the steel cased 7.62 that it slung out.

Hmmm... Good point about replacing parts and dressing it up a bit.

She does like it "As is".

I was just thinking she would like it even better if it

had less recoil. She might shoot it longer and more often.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of what a Maddi ARM would

go for?

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

Here's some more info on the brass denting:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16781&hl=brass+denting

Something else to consider with the Saiga.......the Russians tightly control civilian possession of ammunition. The bolt face on the Saiga will imprint (read "often damage") the primer/primer pocket because it's a civilian weapon. I haven't had much trouble with mine, but some people have ruined good brass or made it a lot of work to re-load. That said, I use mostly Russian steel case .223, and I absolutely love the gun.

Guest Mugster
My wife has an Egyptian Maadi Ak. Thumb hole laminated stock, couple of mags, yada, yada, yada...

AK.jpg

She really likes it. We've had it for a really long time.

I mentioned to her that you can get AK variants in .223 now.

Since I have an AR, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea for her

to replace hers with one in .223 when we run out of 7.62x39.

(We have about 6-700 rounds left.) It would kick less and I honestly

think she would enjoy it more. (Farm girl, not afraid of recoil mind you.)

Also I reload .223 and have about 3k in brass.

She went from "Absolutely NOT! I love my AK! Sell your AR if you want one so bad." to "I'll think about it... but I'd rather shoot one first."

Baby steps guys... baby steps... ;)

My Questions:

• What is the going prices for AK's in .223?

• Who makes good ones?

• What could she expect price wise for her Egyptian Maadi Ak.

• Does this sound like a dumb idea? Honestly?

Thanks for any input on this guys (gals implied but not expressly stated).

**Note! This weapon is NOT for sale at this time! That is her call.

I'm no ak expert, but if you decide to sell what is basically a good looking pre-ban ak, I'd definitely look into how much it is worth. Might be a good one to hang on to.

So you convince the wife its a collector piece and get the new ar/ak in .223. That's how I'd roll :)

I'm no ak expert, but if you decide to sell what is basically a good looking pre-ban ak, I'd definitely look into how much it is worth. Might be a good one to hang on to.

So you convince the wife its a collector piece and get the new ar/ak in .223. That's how I'd roll :)

Mugster. It wouldn't be a pre-ban with the thumbhole stock. The thumbholes were a work around to import them during the ban.

Mike

Guest Mugster
Mugster. It wouldn't be a pre-ban with the thumbhole stock. The thumbholes were a work around to import them during the ban.

Mike

Bummer.

My scheme still might work though.

When in doubt I always check Gunbroker. The Egyptian Maadi is considered as close to a Russian AK as you can buy without getting the real thing. The Egyptians bought the entire manufacturing facilities and parts from Russia. The Russians went to Egypt and set up the facilities for the Egyptians. The pre-ban Maadi's are going for $1500+ in good condition. Yours appears to be a post-ban import most likely imported by ACC/Intrac of Knoxville. These rifles can be found for $500 or so, maybe more or maybe less. I would keep the rifle and convert it. Just buy yourself a stockset(KVAR) and a Tapco G2 fire control group and Rock On! If you would like a real *****cat look into a AK-74 in the Soviet 5.45x39mm. The 5.45 has even less recoil than a 5.56 and is ballistically similar. If there is such a thing as an unreliable kalashnikov they are more likely than not chambered in the capatilist pig 5.56. The very case design of the Soviet cartridges aid in reliability(angular vs. straight). Don't sell it! If you do PM me first.

A couple of Maadi links:

http://www.ak-47.us/gear/Gear_Review_Detail.php?g=gear1141107745&select=Read+Review

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

Edited by Urse

Thanks for the advice and the links guys. I talked to my wife some

more about it. We've decided to keep it. We'll look into adding

enough US parts to get rid of the thumbhole stock.

Over all it has been a great gun for her and me.:tough:

She likes the idea of maybe saving up for aanother in .223 or 5.45x39mm.

We'll have to look it a little more as we head into fall.

Thanks again!

Guest 70below

Given your (er...her) decision to keep it, if you're not in a rush (it sometimes take them a bit) try a stock from Ironwood Designs. He uses real russian birch laminate and CNC equipment to mill the wood. I've been very happy with mine on a MAK90 formerly with a thumbhole stock, I used the dye method to finish my stock a russian red color. I also used the G2 double hook trigger and its just scary how nice the trigger is......I'm really happy with the results.

mak90.JPG

We have decided to keep it. I must confess I always thought an AK, was an AK, was an AK. That there wasn't much difference in them. I always liked

hers... and considered it more of a meat clever than a scalpel. So I didn't

really give it much thought.

After looking over those links you guys provided and reading the comments

it looks like we got a really good AK when we bought it.

We may change some parts out though to lose the thumbhole stock.

We just have to make sure that a new stock won't increase the length. She is about 5'4" and the factory stock fits her well.

Just make sure you get a Warsaw Pact length stock as opposed to a NATO length which is 1.25" longer. Here is a comparison pic:

03_10_08_1428.jpg

70 mentioned Ironwood Designs and he is right if you are a wood kind of family they are hard to beat:

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

Or if you like tacticool polymer:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=251&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=1

last gunshow i bought an original maadi stock set with the hook and numbers on the butplate for 50.00. maadis were imported with double stack recievers and have very little mag wobble. they are far superior to the romanian variants. ive been thinking of selling mine to get that darn ar ive wanted.

70 mentioned Ironwood Designs and he is right if you are a wood kind of family they are hard to beat:

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.htm

Okay... that is some serious cool WOOD!!

My wife has been asking if there was a way to "paint" the stock a dark purple. So it looks like this would be the way to go. I read the "How To" page. It seems a little involved but would make a cool project! I'll show my wife tonight and see what she says.

If she is game... I think I will name it... "The Purple People Eater!" LOL!!! :D

Guest 70below

based on my experience dying my stock red, I don't see a reason in the world you couldn't do the same with purple dye. Test it out on a piece of scrap wood until you find a color you think you'll like, then another piece of scrap to practice ways to apply the dye. Eventually you have to take a little leap of faith, mine wasn't exactly how I expected, but I love it just the same.