Any SW99QA/SW990L and M&P owners here?

S&WForty

I am looking for shooters with experience with both the SW99QA (990L) trigger and the M&P trigger.

I was close to buying a M&P a year or so ago, but I read somewhere a comment that the M&P trigger felt "gritty." That is how I describe my SW99QA. I know the Apex trigger replacement is popular with M&P's. I am curious how similar they really are out of the box. I am debating getting a trigger job on my SW99 or put the money toward a G27.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Travtastik

My m&p trigger is nice. My gun was build in Feb/12. It's not as sweet as the apex kits I have messed with but it is nothing like the older m&p triggers that people complained of.

Thanks for the replies. I had an interesting Saturday. My friend let me borrow his G27 to compare side by side with my SW990L. On two past occasions, I had poor accurary with my SW, and I'd hit a bullseye on my first shot with his G27. I'd shoot just 1-2 magazines out of his, so just enough time to plant seeds in my head...

Prior to Saturday's outing, I had read on other forums some comments that told me I wasn't alone in my opinion of my SW990L trigger. One person said "it's not a match pistol. The slower you pull the trigger, the more off target you'll be." Another comment was "a quick fluid pull of the trigger will give you your best groupings." I remembered how in the past, I shot as well or better when shooting faster.

I guess knowing it wasn't just me helped my focus. I dry fired it a ton of times Friday night, and I when I compared the two side by side, I actually liked my pistol better. Shot for shot, my grouping with the Glock was better, but it was by a slim margin. Even though the Glock's trigger felt more crisp at the breakover point, I think the pull was a tad longer than my SW. The Glock shots farthest from bullseye were the result of me anticipating recoil.

Overall, I went from wishing I had a trigger job or wanting to get a G27 to being content with what I have. Deep down, I wish it was a bit cripser than it is, but I'll practice some more and see if my thoughts remain the same. It was my best day shooting in a long time!

Edited by S&WForty

I've got a SW990L and from what I understand it's DAO. No decocker and always has the same trigger pull. When I first bought it about four years ago it had a fairly gritty feeling to the trigger but after about 500 rounds it's nice and smooth. It has a fairly long trigger pull but not even close to my wifes LCP. Really like the 990L now, same trigger pull each time so no surprises and is proving to be a very accurate firearm once the trigger anticipation has been eliminated.

I have several M&P's and 1 Glock. As for the trigger on the M&P, I installed the apex sear and safety plunger and the trigger pull was just to light for my liking. Replaced the plunger with the original and it's a heavier pull but almost perfect for me.

Accuracy wise, I was horrible with any Glock and reasonably accurate with the M&P. My groups were low left and I knew it was due to a very tight grip.

One day a guy comes up to me at the range and asked if it would be alright to give me a few pointers. He said my grip was too tight, ok, I was tracking that. He then pointed out that my pinky and ring fingers gripped too tight and that maybe I wasn't using my middle finger enough. Bam! It was like a light bulb flashed on. Since then I have ensured my middle finger is gripping tightly and less from my other two. Accuracy has improved dramatically with either the M&P or the Glock and any other pistol I shoot.

I honestly tried to like Glocks and for years my horrible accuracy with them kept me from it. Since I fixed my grip I feel better about a Glock in the safe and may eventually use one for carry. I have looked at the 99 but never fired one. Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong with the Glock, M&P, or the 99.

Maddog, I had probably 600-700 rds through the pistol, but I dry fired it with a snap cap a LOT the night before my last shoot. Maybe I finally reached that point of break-in!

FIST, two shoots ago, I remembered how a very tight grip helped me a long time ago. I tried that, and I saw some improvement. For me, a purposefully tight grip countered my tendency to point down and to the left. But it sure is tiring.

I will pay close attention to my pinky and ring fingers with my normal grip next time and see of more pressure with my middle finger helps.

Thank you both for the help!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2