Jeep Mechanic Help

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

You don't have to be a Jeep mechanic but I am having a problem.

Here we go:

I went to get inspected today for my tags, failed!:D

My left brake light is the problem. When my headlights are OFF, the brake light comes on like it is suppose to do. But when the headlights are ON, the left one goes out. Before you yell a short, I have fixed it. The way these light assemblies are made they have the assembly, then they have a socket holder that the light bulb fits into and that goes into the assembly, twist a quarter turn, and it is in. There are 3 metal contacts on the socket and on the assembly, one at the top, two at the bottom. I got a screw driver and bent the contact that is on the socket out so that it would contact the one on the assembly better. It worked. Lights on, all brake lights come on as they are suppose to do.

The problem. While messing with this I noticed that the lip that the metal contacts are on, and the seal of the socket rest on, is cracked, right beside the contact metal. It appears that this whole piece can be replaced, and I would not have to replace the whole assembly.

Here are pictures. If I need to take the socket out to show more detail, I will, but it is a PIA.

tail_light.JPG

One pointing out stuff.

tail_light_marked_up.JPG

Any ideas if I can replace, cost? A new assembly I have found online for around $90. I thought of going to a junk yard and pull it off.

Cheapest way possible. I just spent $70 on the light assembly switch on my steering wheel column. My hazard light switch broke, would not turn off, so I had to replace that. It comes with the hazard switch on top and a a new turn signal stalk. I thought I was going to have to pull the steering wheel, but take off the plastic, two screws one connector and the whole thing comes out. I got the wrong part, the one with fog lamps, but it still works. My dash lights does have a fog light light next to the rpm guage, which is great, except for not having fog lamps, well at least it lets me know when they are "on"!

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
Other than buying a new one from the dealer for roughly $7098706970976098097069867098906, I'd also suggest a junk yard. It's hard telling what they'd charge, but I'd guess $30 or so.

could prob get the whole assy for that much (30) at a junkyard...

Guest db99wj
could prob get the whole assy for that much (30) at a junkyard...

I have found some on ebay, 45 plus 10 shipping. They are NIB, and "Meet or exceed" OEM specifications.....

Also on a related note, Headlights, the plastic has become very scratched and look oxidized. New fronts are around $200 but I found some replacements at the the same price as the tail light assembly, from the same place on ebay. They have a store. Feedback score is 100,000 or higher, and are a power seller, (I have no idea what that means by the way, not a "ebayer"), the ones I want fit my year, but say "limited" I am a Laredo. They have got to be the same light....wouldn't you think? Stupid question but first time I have dealt with this stuff.

Guest canynracer
I have found some on ebay, 45 plus 10 shipping. They are NIB, and "Meet or exceed" OEM specifications.....

Also on a related note, Headlights, the plastic has become very scratched and look oxidized. New fronts are around $200 but I found some replacements at the the same price as the tail light assembly, from the same place on ebay. They have a store. Feedback score is 100,000 or higher, and are a power seller, (I have no idea what that means by the way, not a "ebayer"), the ones I want fit my year, but say "limited" I am a Laredo. They have got to be the same light....wouldn't you think? Stupid question but first time I have dealt with this stuff.

They are the same...you will be fine....

and if the seller doesnt do you right, we have a member on the board that will help you track down, and sue the seller :confused:

Guest db99wj
They are the same...you will be fine....

and if the seller doesnt do you right, we have a member on the board that will help you track down, and sue the seller :shrug:

Ok, you $%^er, I need a new shirt, keyboard and monitor.. As I have said, Coke Zero through the nose hurts like hell!!!! :confused:

Guest bkelm18

I have the same problem on my 01 Laredo. The headlights look all fogged up. I saw some Laredo assemblies on there for like $100 a pair.

Guest canynracer
Ok, you $%^er, I need a new shirt, keyboard and monitor.. As I have said, Coke Zero through the nose hurts like hell!!!! :confused:

ROFLMAO

Glad I could be of service :shrug:

Guest GUTTERbOY

I'm not sure about the fitment question, but I'd try some clear plastic polish on those headlight lenses before springing for some new units. I've had good luck with Megiuar's Plast-X. I actually used the stuff to get out some scratches in my helmet's face shield after I dumped my bike last year.

Of course, if you've already tried this, you may ignore me. :devil:

Guest db99wj
Check out these forums for all your Grand Cherokee related questions.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com

http://www.mallcrawlin.com

The latter dedicated to pretty hardcore off-roading...Grand Cherokees only.

(I used to have a 93 ZJ w/ locked Ford axles, 35s, home-brew long arm suspension, internal cage, blah blah blah)

Now that BrandonTN mentioned it, www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums is a great place for information. I haven't checked out their Cherokee section but they've got tons of stuff on Wranglers. Pretty good group of guys for the most part -- kinda like this place but for Jeepers.
I'm not sure about the fitment question, but I'd try some clear plastic polish on those headlight lenses before springing for some new units. I've had good luck with Megiuar's Plast-X. I actually used the stuff to get out some scratches in my helmet's face shield after I dumped my bike last year.

Of course, if you've already tried this, you may ignore me. :lol:

So be it. You have been ignored!:devil:

I have used something I got, might have been Meguiars there was 2 bottles, a cleaner, then a polish, helps a little bit, but they got nasty again real quick.

jeepsunlimited, I have been a member there since 2003. Seems like the last few times I have been there, there are few responses, somewhat related, then nothing. Seems to have gotten too big. WJJeeps.com is a great source of info for Grand's as well. I think Milous has ZJjeeps and WKjeeps, etc...

If anyone wants the link to the ebay store let me know.

Oh, my Jeep has 2" of lift with 245's BFG AT's on it. I have about 3" over a stock Grand Cherokee.

I have the same problem on my 01 Laredo. The headlights look all fogged up. I saw some Laredo assemblies on there for like $100 a pair.

Just because your headlights look foggy, it doesn't mean you have to buy new headlights. I was gonna do the same thing on my F-150, but someone told me about this stuff at Auto Zone and/or Advanced. It's a liquid (Acrylic Deoxidizer) that rub on the lens, and BAM! It's like new.

Guest bkelm18
Just because your headlights look foggy, it doesn't mean you have to buy new headlights. I was gonna do the same thing on my F-150, but someone told me about this stuff at Auto Zone and/or Advanced. It's a liquid (Acrylic Deoxidizer) that rub on the lens, and BAM! It's like new.

Do remember what it was called by chance?

Do remember what it was called by chance?

No, I sure don't. Let me look for the bottle. If I remember correctly, it was a little yellow or orange bottle, but I could be wrong. I'm sure either store will know what you're talking about.

There are also many headlight cleaning solutions on the net.

Edited by TripleDigitRide