Clueless about reloading

I've been reading several different threads on here about reloading and casting. I'll admit that I'm totally clueless. However, I stumbled across a deal on 2 MEC shotgun reloaders that I couldn't pass up. 1 is a MEC 600jr and I'm still trying to figure out which MEC model the other is because it has no sticker or engraving. My questions are this: 1) what's a good book to start researching and learning? 2) where does everyone get their shotgun reloading supplies and what are the normal costs? ( I already have David in mind b/c I like to support my local people)

I figured I'd start with 12 gauge since I had a good deal land in my lap. After I get the hang of this, I'd like to start reloading other calipers. I've bookmarked Dolomite's "Beginner's List" ( that's the name I've given it anyway) as a place for me to start later on. Also, you guys seem to be having too much fun casting. I guess I'll just try to join you in that as well as soon as I can locate the pieces I'll need at prices that won't break the bank.

I look forward to hearing your responses. I'm very thankful that I've found this site with such good people and information.

For stuff that David might not have.(wads and shot)

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/default.asp

Info on your MEC loader and parts

http://www.mecreloaders.com/OwnerManuals/OwnerManuals.asp

Shot shell reload if a bit diff than rifle and pistol, MEC is a very good machine,

my OL got mine at a yard sale years ago, I have a few powder bushings.

I dont load shot just slug and "00" buck, all HD rounds.

The MEC 600jr is a great reloader... I shot skeet yeeeeears ago. On the direction of my buddies Father we were ONLY to pick up low brass Winchester AA hulls. He had 50gal drums full... Every Winter my buddy and I would sit and load those with #9 shot and shoot them up in the Summer. Awww memories. I can't help you much except the "low brass Win AA. But learn how, You'll will enjoy it

• Like 1

Sniper:

A couple of things to think about from an ole shotgun and everything else reloader.

RE: Shotgun shell reloading. The "real trick" to shotgun shell reloading was handed to me by an old buddy in the reloading business over 35 years ago. It goes like this: .... "Set up your loader to shoot one kind of load; and only one kind. Dont change components after ya get it set up....". We set up our loader (...a MEC 600 jr....) to load AA trap loads, standard velocity, 1 1/8 ounce shot. We used winchester once fired AA's, winchester wads, and red dot powder. To change shotgun loads in a mec (...or any other shotgun loader...) ya have to change the powder bushings. It's an aggravation; and ya cant afford to make a mistake here. My advice. Pick the reaload data ya want to use, the components ya want to use, and reload for them alone. Changing components causes trouble with shotgun shell reloading. Ya may want to take a look at this website to get some ideas on shotgun reloading: http://www.ballistic...FQWe4AodL0sANA.

RE: reloading pistol and rifle stuff. Get a single stage press and do a bunch of reading. Reloading for cartridges is a lot more cost effective and somewhat "easier" than fooling with shotgun reloading.

I'm sure others will chime in here.

Have fun and be safe.

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently started into reloading shotgun 12 ga. I picked up a MEC 600 jr along with a ton of hulls and wads, shot, powders through a kind older gentleman getting out of the game. My main loads are slugs to squirrel away for we'll....

I have loaded some #7 shot too. Mainly sticking with AA hulls and Green dot.

Research all the combinations can get confusing fast.

I am in Columbia. Feel free to drop me a line.

Jtmaze just downloaded The ABC's of reloading to his Nook. Not sure how he's liking it though. He did tell me I should read it too because there's a lot of other useful info in it.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

Let me introduce you to some shotgun gurus: Shotgunworld.com. Great forum for all things smoothbore. I learned a lot about reloading from them, loads powders, troubleshooting reloaders. MECs are a very popular line of loaders and I started withe the 600 Jr. too, occasionally you have to adjust the finish crimp. As far as where to get components, I would start with Powder Valley.com, Gamaliel.com and Grafs. If you can't find what you need there look to Ballistic Products. Gamaliel is just over the border in Kentucky and will often set up at the big shoots at Nashville Gun Club. Great bunch to work with.