Buck Help

Ok so heres a little backstory, I own a little over 30 acres that I havent hunted in roughly 15 years. Last deer season I decided to buy a game cam and put it out during the season beside some corn I set out, and simply watch and see the pictures of all the animals that came out,ended up not hunting last year. Decided to set the camera out again this year and do the same just see what comes out with no real intentions of hunting my property this season. Well it started out as usual a bunch of doe show up every night for probably the first week, then to my surprise I get a couple Bucks to appear a 3point a flimsy 9 point and a crooked 7 point. None of the bucks were anything I had to just hunt and simply just enjoyed seeing them on camera. Well a week ago this guy shows up(see below)

t1_zps2e9d10b8.jpg

t3_zps8dbeb2ba.jpg

t2_zps1924c2b8.jpg

This buck sent me into hunting overdrive, I figured I would let him come around for a week remove my bait and then try and tag him after the 10 days is up, unfortunately he hasnt made any real regular appearances, and when he was there he seemed to get ran off by the 7 pointer which I simply thought was a fluke in the pictures since the size difference between the 2 isnt even comparable. After watching my cam for the last few days the 7 pointer is there non stop and he seems to be running off everything, I mean the does arent even showing up anymore. Everything I have read says to let little bucks walk to draw in big bucks, well is it possible a little buck is the dominate one in the area and is actually scaring away the bigger bucks??? Below are a couple of the 7 pointer. Let me know what you guys think.

10-6C1_zps4c8e1836.jpg

c1_zps72d2d674.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the larger buck (maybe the younger of the bunch) is a transient since you don't see him regular. He knows he tresspassing on a dominant bucks turf, he just hasn't realized that he "outclasses" the older smaller buck. He's probably not ready to "show his stuff" yet. When the girls get "ready" he'll probably walk in with a chip on his shoulder. Try to pattern him if you at all can. When the rut starts coming in, hunt the mature does and big boy might just give you a shot. It has worked for me many of times!

Dave S

Can you give us a better idea of your property setup? Are you hunting a bedding area, food source, or just a trail? I understand that you have feeder there, but how active is it?

Dave is probably right, but a little additional info could help us provide advice.

Edited by quietguy

Can you give us a better idea of your property setup? Are you hunting a bedding area, food source, or just a trail? I understand that you have feeder there, but how active is it?

Dave is probably right, but a little additional info could help us provide advice.

These are all good questions. I didn't ask any, but am curious as well.

GPS coordinates would help also! LOL

Dave S

It looks like he made one appearance on the 8th of October, and was photographed 3 times between 2049 and 2055. Check the feeding times for that day, and the days/times your other bucks showed up. Start noting those camera times and compare them to feeding charts. It may tell you when would be a good time to be on stand.

Dave S

The Camera is setup near a dry creek bed, it is a pretty flat field approx 10 acres I guess with the creek bed running through the middle, the direction in which the camera is facing is towards approx 20-30 acres of woods unfortunately my property ends at the wood line which is maybe 100 yards from the camera.To the left of the camera is a thicket maybe half an acre in size then past that thicket my property line ends and a 20 acre wheat field starts. From the way the deer seem to typically come in the look as though they are coming from the wheat field in a diagonal direction through the woods and then onto my property,then they leave via the woods and just do a circle through the 3 properties if I had my guess.

The area is extremely active and is a bedding area from my guess, I let the grass grow tall there this past year and you can see all of the trails going through it and buy the camera there are alot of bigger areas of crushed grass where they appear to be bedding. The big buck in the pick stayed for roughly 20-30 minutes before he left I had over 100 pictures of him but only posted 3, as far as activity up until this past Thurs the 11th I have been averging 1,000+ pictures a night(Mostly deer with a couple of coons) with the camera setting on 3 burst pics and 15 second delay. The doe seem to come in early evening typically around 5:00pm and stay around the area pretty much all night and have stayed as late as 10am and the 7 pointer is the only buck that has been caught out after daylight other than the 3 pointer. Now I typically check the camera daily and the deer dont seem to mind but this time I left it on from the 11th till today the 13th approx 48 hours and the number of pictures dropped from 1,000+ in 24 hours over the past week to 170 pics for 48 hours in the last 2 days, and the only thing caught on camera that 170 times was this 7 point buck not even a doe showed up and typically there seem to be atleast 5 doe and camera at one time every night, except for the past 2 nights.

Edited by ~48_South~

The Camera is setup near a dry creek bed, it is a pretty flat field approx 10 acres I guess with the creek bed running through the middle, the direction in which the camera is facing is towards approx 20-30 acres of woods unfortunately my property ends at the wood line which is maybe 100 yards from the camera.To the left of the camera is a thicket maybe half an acre in size then past that thicket my property line ends and a 20 acre wheat field starts. From the way the deer seem to typically come in the look as though they are coming from the wheat field in a diagonal direction through the woods and then onto my property,then they leave via the woods and just do a circle through the 3 properties if I had my guess.

The area is extremely active and is a bedding area from my guess, I let the grass grow tall there this past year and you can see all of the trails going through it and buy the camera there are alot of bigger areas of crushed grass where they appear to be bedding. The big buck in the pick stayed for roughly 20-30 minutes before he left I had over 100 pictures of him but only posted 3, as far as activity up until this past Thurs the 11th I have been averging 1,000+ pictures a night(Mostly deer with a couple of coons) with the camera setting on 3 burst pics and 15 second delay. The doe seem to come in early evening typically around 5:00pm and stay around the area pretty much all night and have stayed as late as 10am and the 7 pointer is the only buck that has been caught out after daylight other than the 3 pointer. Now I typically check the camera daily and the deer dont seem to mind but this time I left it on from the 11th till today the 13th approx 48 hours and the number of pictures dropped from 1,000+ in 24 hours over the past week to 170 pics for 48 hours in the last 2 days, and the only thing caught on camera that 170 times was this 7 point buck not even a doe showed up and typically there seem to be atleast 5 doe and camera at one time every night, except for the past 2 nights.

From your description, they probably have a bedding area close by and probably on your property. In your shoes, I would hunt the best trail in the wood-line that led to the wheat field on your neighbors property, late in the day. You will have to be extremely careful getting to your stand, and I would setup something fixed that I could get in with minimal noise.

Where is the closest water source?

Edited by quietguy

From your description, they probably have a bedding area close by and probably on your property. In your shoes, I would hunt the best trail in the wood-line that lead to the wheat field on your neighbors property, late in the day. You will have to be extremely careful getting to your stand, and I would setup something fixed that I could get in with minimal noise.

Where is the closest water source?

He gives good advice, but I would not turn my back on that thicket!

Dave S

I've got that same trail camera. Been happy with it.

Looks like the big buck is definitely a shooter. Possibly 5 to 6 years old. That 7 pointer may be 2 years old, possibly 3 and still needs some time to mature but like others have mentioned he is ready to face off with some other bucks.

Guest USMC 2013

I've got that same trail camera. Been happy with it.

Looks like the big buck is definitely a shooter. Possibly 5 to 6 years old. That 7 pointer may be 2 years old, possibly 3 and still needs some time to mature but like others have mentioned he is ready to face off with some other bucks.

I disagree. Look at the white on the muzzle of the 7 point. And they sway in his back. That is an old buck! He's tougher than the young guy, small rack due to his age, he is in decline.

I would harvest the 7, the old guy, and let that young monster get truly monster next year! Semper Fi,

Joe

I disagree. Look at the white on the muzzle of the 7 point. And they sway in his back. That is an old buck! He's tougher than the young guy, small rack due to his age, he is in decline.

I would harvest the 7, the old guy, and let that young monster get truly monster next year! Semper Fi,

Joe

I have to agree with this also...get that 7 out of the herd. If I had a shot at big boy, he's going down. I'd love to hear he bred some does first though.

Dave S

I have to agree with this also...get that 7 out of the herd. If I had a shot at big boy, he's going down. I'd love to hear he bred some does first though.

Dave S

Yeah the 7 from what I have seen so far will be the easiest one to take out,he didnt show up lastnight but a new buck made an appearance around 6 am and stayed till about 6:30 am a 5 point with about as nice of rack as you could get (form wise) for a 5 point. There have been a total of 5 Bucks that have made an appearance here since the 5th of this month,only 2 of which have been return customers so far.

Yeah the 7 from what I have seen so far will be the easiest one to take out,he didnt show up lastnight but a new buck made an appearance around 6 am and stayed till about 6:30 am a 5 point with about as nice of rack as you could get (form wise) for a 5 point. There have been a total of 5 Bucks that have made an appearance here since the 5th of this month,only 2 of which have been return customers so far.

Culling your herd for QDM purposes, must be done wisely. You'll be happy with whatever you choose. They are all worthy of putting in the freezer though. post us up some more pics!

Dave S

Culling your herd for QDM purposes, must be done wisely. You'll be happy with whatever you choose. They are all worthy of putting in the freezer though. post us up some more pics!

Dave S

Yeah I really only had interest in harvesting a couple doe this year but after seeing the bigger buck its got me foaming at the mouth a bit, I normally wouldnt take out the 7 that appears to be dominate but if he is infact an older buck that is scaring away the trophies I will probably take him out if given the opportunity. Below are pics of all the bucks that have strolled through minus the 9 pointer to which it appears I deleted off of the sd card or got mixed up with a different 7 pointer.

First buck young 3 pointer

PRMS0511_zpsf4b07b6d.jpg

Different 7 pointer not the one that appears to be dominate

PRMS0064_zps67b9edca.jpg

10-5S3_zps5338cb02.jpg

A couple more of the big buck as he came in

texedit_zps47543d01.jpg

texedit2_zpsa838312c.jpg

Couple more of the dominate 7

10-6C2_zps15454323.jpg

10-6C3_zps05ddcf82.jpg

Now for a couple of this morning NEW little 5 pointer