Make your own knife classes Part 2

Once again, after the initial success of two hammer ins, My dad and myself are opening up the Flatwoods Forge to anyone who would like to learn to forge steel. We are gonna start doing it different. Because of only having one anvil, and one forge, we are going to limit it to 2 people per weekend. Now I'm opening this up for every weekend between now and Feb. So hopefully anyone who would like to do this, gets a chance too. 1 or 2 day class option, with primitive camping onsite. You will need to provide food and drink for yourself, we provide the campsite, and plenty of firewood. We can provide the steel, but most of our stuff is scrap we have collected. Leaf springs, coil springs, both of which make good knives. We also have railroad spikes, horseshoes, and different pieces of square, round, and rectangle stock. Good steel such as 1084 is optional, we can order it and you can pay us at the class, or you can order it and bring it with you, from newjerseysteelbaron.com. See examples below to see what can be done in a 2 day weekend with a good effort. Please post here AND send me a PM if your interested and we will get you scheduled and setup.

Thanks guys.

Jordan

Flatwoods Forge

These knives were all done in two days or less

Zombie cleaver

5160 truck leaf spring, leather wrapped handle. 22" overall, 15" blade

2012-10-21_20-45-08_615.jpg

2012-10-21_20-44-56_707.jpg

Fighting Bowie

1084 from website above, Burmese Rosewood handle, 19.5" overall, 13.5" blade

Untitled.jpg

2012-10-14_20-25-53_419.jpg

2012-10-14_20-26-05_351.jpg

Camp Bowie

5160 truck leaf spring, seasoned oak through tang handle, 15" overall, 10" blade

2012-10-11_12-31-31_410.jpg

2012-10-11_12-31-54_733.jpg

2012-10-08_19-45-31_217.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

Dad and I, or at least myself, will be hitting you up for several times. Maybe even once a month, or every two months. Hell, we may just make a weekend of it and camp out, lol. I'm looking forward to many more good times. I'm going to have to start planning out what I want to do ahead of time, though. I really want to try my hand at making that hawk again.

I had a couple of questions on this, so just to clear it up. There is no cost what so ever for the classes. The only thing you will have to pay for is your fuel to drive here, and to bring a sack lunch, and supper.

Pictures from our last couple of classes.

First me and my dad, the two blacksmiths from Flatwoods Forge

2012-10-13_19-29-05_380.jpg

Broomhead working in the forge back in July when him and his dad came out

danforging.jpg

danforging1.jpg

The whole group from the last class, plus Jaxjohns spring steel knife

2012-10-20_17-12-07_432.jpg

2012-10-20_17-12-19_935.jpg

Edited by Spots
Guest Broomhead

I'm going to get with Dad and see if we can't get some dates put together. I can't wait to come pound some more steel. I have a much better idea of how to make the 'hawk I want. I'll also bring you a piece of two of long leaf spring.

Come on folks, feel free to take advantage of this opportunity. Try your hand at forging without investing in any of the tools, or if your already a smith come out and have some fun. A couple of members have booked weekends, feel free to pm and book your own.

UncleJak and son: Nov. 17th and 18th
Broomhead and dad: Dec. 8th

Also I have one spare room with a bed available at my place if you would like to do a full two day weekend, and don't want to camp, contact me for those arrangements also.
  • 2 weeks later...
Well another wonderful class weekend has drawn to a close. Unclejak and his son visited from Portland,TN and spent two days learning to beat, twist, hammer, weld, and work hot steel. We made several knives, with Unclejak making the best first knife Ive seen from a railroad spike, as well as several smaller blanks and a horseshoe blade. As a grand finale we all worked together and made his son a 12" plus bowie and a wrapped eye tomahawk as a war set. Id would like to thank them for coming out and being the best stundents as well as friends you could ask for. Here are some pics

Unclejaks son learning to file a blade

[IMG]http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/tnplowboy07/2012-11-18_10-00-02_668.jpg[/IMG]

Unclejak guiding his son on filing bevels

[IMG]http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/tnplowboy07/2012-11-18_10-00-22_588.jpg[/IMG]

Unclejak and son with several forged pieces, including knife and hawk set.

[IMG]http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/tnplowboy07/2012-11-18_15-41-39_47.jpg[/IMG]

And myself after two fun days of heating and beating.

[IMG]http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/tnplowboy07/2012-11-18_15-42-02_891.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for a good time guys, I hope you learned alot
I wanted to add that while this is free, and will be as long as I'm able to make it work, donations are appreciated. They would be used to fund better materials, help cover cost on fuel and other supplies for the forge and just generally being put back into the program. Thanks guys

Edit: I also wanted to add, if you think this is just a ploy for me to make money, send me a pm and i can send you a list of what it cost to run the class, and where money goes. I will assure you that I spend much more than I make on the classes, and that I do them to help spread a dying art and keep it alive, and to give forums members a chance to do something unique. Edited by Spots
  • 2 weeks later...