Police serving warrants in the middle of the night

Guest kwikrnu

Guest kwikrnu

What's up with cops doing the warrant thing in the middle of the night? Someone in another thread said Tennessee was not one of the States that does the NO KNOCK type. What type of announcement do cops have to make? Is it real loud? Does it guarantee someone will wake up and not be startled if they wake up after the cops are inside?

Some people sleep pretty soundly. When I was in AIT I slept through a fire drill. There were probably 1000 soldiers outside and they didn't find me until everyone was released to go back to the dorms...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
What's up with cops doing the warrant thing in the middle of the night? Someone in another thread said Tennessee was not one of the States that does the NO KNOCK type. What type of announcement do cops have to make? Is it real loud? Does it guarantee someone will wake up and not be startled if they wake up after the cops are inside?

Some people sleep pretty soundly. When I was in AIT I slept through a fire drill. There were probably 1000 soldiers outside and they didn't find me until everyone was released to go back to the dorms...

nope, you should sue....OH, I know....PUT a no carry sign on your doors and windows...THAT will stop them...they will call first!!

Guest kwikrnu

Last time the Sheriff deputy came to my house to serve me a civil process he left a small yellow flyer. I called and found out their hours and the next morning I went down to the Sheriffs office and signed the documents they told me to sign. :shrug:

No one ever called me even though they did have both my cell and home phone numbers. If they would of called I would of asked them their hours and saved them a trip to my house.

Don't worrk Kwik... something tell me from your posts that you'll have plenty of more chances.... :shrug:

DanO

By the way, I definitely think you should post your residence as a "No Carry Zone"... and make sure any LEOs serving papers are properly disarmed. As a matter of fact, you shoud probably answer the door for them with your sidearm in hand (can't be too careful), and tell them in no uncertain terms to relinquish their guns. Make sure to yell really loud so that they hear you...

LEO generally don't serve them in the middle of the night unless it is someone they need to get of the streets and they know were he/she is and doesn't want him to slip away. If it is a civil warrant they serve them in the day or mail them to you. Most departments have a civil and criminal warrants division. Patrol officers also serve warrants for their areas of patrol to help with the overflow. As for the knock policy I guess it depends on the person/type of charge they are serving the warrant on.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest Todd@CIS

Warrant service in the middle of the night is fairly rare and typically reserved for high risk (armed, violent felon types).

We knock and announce, but are not obligated to make sure that you are not still snuggling your teddy bear when we come through the door.

However, props to you if you can sleep through a flashbang...

Guest grimel
However, props to you if you can sleep through a flashbang...

The last tornado that came through Oak Ridge was less than 3 blocks from my apt at the time and I slept right through it. OTOH, don't try sneaking in my place.

Guest kwikrnu

I've never seen a flash bang. It seems to me that it would be easier and less dangerous to serve warrants in other ways. From the thread where the deputy was shot I think there was a news story which stated this was the normal way for them to serve warrants.

"Helm said the three officers approached Bryson’s mobile home carefully and made their way inside. Officers often serve warrants early in the morning, expecting that suspects will be asleep."

Guest Todd@CIS
Back when I was serving warrants(back in the dark ages), we had one officer knock on the front door and announce that we had a warrant, and we just grabbed them as they came running out the back door/window.

Remember the client base that I'm referring to.

I'm talking about proven, violent offenders who have indicated that they have no interest in running out of any back door/window.

Fairly rare.

Most are like the one we (SWAT) served yesterday. Search warrant service, crack house, 1 known/4 unknowns inside, 3:30PM.

It was over in less than 30 seconds with no injuries...except for the cheap beer on my leg because a "forty" was dropped as the holder began shi&^ing kittens.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest kwikrnu
Kwik, what kind of AIT were you in that you had dorms?

I guess they were more of a barracks I think we called them dorms back in 94 though. I was at Fort Sam Houston for about 6 months with one of those months in the typical 2 man dormitory.

Guest Boomhower
"Helm said the three officers approached Bryson’s mobile home carefully and made their way inside. Officers often serve warrants early in the morning, expecting that suspects will be asleep."

Thread title says, "Police serving warrants in the middle of the night"

and the above reference was given :screwy:

Guest kwikrnu

91Q. I stayed for the sterile products course which at that time was determined by the grade in the class. Which gave me the ASIY7. The coasties all stayed too, but they were coasties.

Guest kwikrnu
Thread title says, "Police serving warrants in the middle of the night"

and the above reference was given :screwy:

Didn't they say they served the warrant at 3am? That is the middle of the night to me.