am i doing this right?

ok im using mean green and boiling water to clean the cosmoline off my mosin so far i have only done the oil bottle (though theres still alot in inside of the bottle that i cant seem to get out) and i have done the mag spring, after i did the mag spring i took my cleaner/oil spray and sprayed both sides and wiped off the excess, is that the correct way to do it or am i doing it wrong and should ask someone with more knowledge than me to help?
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds about right. If you have a compressor I would spray down the parts to wash the simple green off then hit them with plenty of air to get the water off then oil. If you haven't tried yet good luck getting your bore clean. I stopped after the patches came out black instead of blue green and yellow.

How far is donelson to Nashville? I could probably help you out I you wanted to steam clean it which as I'm sure you've guessed is my preference. A shark steamer is actually a pretty handy thing to have yourself.
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1353295377' post='847968']Looking good. Pay particular attention to the chamber, all kinds of gunk gets in there and if not removed when you shoot it can heat up and bind the bolt making it hard to manipulate.[/quote]will do, I will be breaking the whole thing down tomorrow and getting the Cosmo out or tryin to anyway lol Edited by luke9511
[quote name='DMark' timestamp='1353300599' post='848031']
Just soak the metal in Mineral Spirits for a couple of hours. The cosmoline will then come right off with a good brushing.
[/quote]

+1 Works very well. For the barrel, get a 3ft piece of 4" pvc pipe and cap it off. Put the barrel and mineral spirits in there and go take care of chores.
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1353363050' post='848403']
If you haven't already make sure to strip that good looking bolt. All kinds of nastiness might be built up inside. It's not hard to do and there should be a walk through on YouTube. Well worth the time IMO.
[/quote]did and got it nice and shiny though someone on another forum said i shouldnt have used remoil as it has teflon or something in it
[quote name='luke9511' timestamp='1353367180' post='848452']
did and got it nice and shiny though someone on another forum said i shouldnt have used remoil as it has teflon or something in it
[/quote]

Don't know about that, could be true. My thought process was a bit different, I didn't leave a lot of lube inside as oils tend to attract and hold grime and powder and gunk. I just cleaned it real well, sprayed my favorite CLP product and wiped off the excess then reassembled.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Now that its cleaned up a bit I'd run 10-20 rounds through it and see how it performs. That will let you know how clean the chamber is as well as if you even want to go through the headache of trying to clean the barrel out. IMO if its a shooter and accurate, I wouldn't sweat it beyond cleaning enough that the patches just come out black instead of green. Be sure to take some windex to the range and spray it down the chamber and barrel if shooting corrosive ammo. Clean it as normal when you get home.
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1353375516' post='848535']
Don't know about that, could be true. My thought process was a bit different, I didn't leave a lot of lube inside as oils tend to attract and hold grime and powder and gunk. I just cleaned it real well, sprayed my favorite CLP product and wiped off the excess then reassembled.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Now that its cleaned up a bit I'd run 10-20 rounds through it and see how it performs. That will let you know how clean the chamber is as well as if you even want to go through the headache of trying to clean the barrel out. IMO if its a shooter and accurate, I wouldn't sweat it beyond cleaning enough that the patches just come out black instead of green. Be sure to take some windex to the range and spray it down the chamber and barrel if shooting corrosive ammo. Clean it as normal when you get home.
[/quote]i have not yet bought any ammo, so i have not yet had the chance to shoot it, i did clean spray each part separately and then wiped the excess with some patches and q-tips
[quote name='luke9511' timestamp='1353367180' post='848452']
did and got it nice and shiny though someone on another forum said i shouldnt have used remoil as it has teflon or something in it
[/quote]

it does but teflon should not harm the wood.

[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1353378556' post='848565']

it does but teflon should not harm the wood.[/quote]it was for the bolt not the wood but here's what was said

[quote]Just saw your post on using remoil! If that is the Remington stuff, do not use this on the bolt! It has Teflon in it and it can cause a build-up inside your bolt. I used it in good faith and it helped build up residue in my sks-bolt, where I really NOT needed it. If you want to oil your weapon, as JYD says all the time, use engine oil....it is cheaper and works the same.......

Good Night, y'all........this gunner goes horizontal. :D :D :D[/quote]