Replacing Gerber Mark 1

I lost my favorite knife... a Gerber Mark 1that was purchased at the PX on Fort Leonard Wood in 1988 during basic training. It was an awesome knife that served me well for nearly 25 years. Stupid me had an full load of gear in my arms and set the knife on top of the car to find keys... and proceeded to drive off without retrieving the knife.

While I would love to just buy another one, the prices on eBay are more than i'm willing to pay.

I have no idea what's available in the world of knives. What knife might you suggest I consider as a replacement?

Thanks!
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to replace it with another dagger or just a similarly sized fixed blade? What kind of price range? Custom or production? Theres thousands of options, so Im just wanting to narrow it down to give you a better answer.
Like Spots said there are simply too many unknowns to be able to suggest what to buy, but this got me looking around and these are similar to the Mark 1.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333][size=3]This S&W is a dirt cheap Chinese knife that [/size][size=3]surprisingly[/size][size=3] has lots of great reviews, though the blade length makes it too long to carry legally. [/size][/color][/font]
[b] [size=3][url="http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SWHRT9B/Smith-and-Wesson-HRT-Boot-Knife-Fixed-4-78-inch-Double-Edge-Blade-Rubberized-Handle"]Smith & Wesson H.R.T. Boot Knife Fixed 4-7/8" Double Edge Blade, Rubberized Handle[/url][/size][/b]

[size=3]A smaller (and legal) blade from Gerber, the Guardian Back-up. I actually own one of these and it's a nice little boot knife.[/size]
[url="http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB5803/Gerber-Guardian-Back-Up-3-38-inch-Blade"]Gerber Guardian Back Up Fixed 3.41" Double Edge Plain Blade, Nylon Handles[/url]

This is another Gerber from their "military" line.
[b][size=3] [url="http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB30000528/Gerber-De-Facto-Combat-Dagger-Fixed-4-inch-S30V-Double-Serrated-Edge-Blade"]Gerber De Facto Combat Dagger Fixed 4" S30V Double Serrated Edge Blade, Plastic Sheath[/url][/size][/b]
Honestly I'd love another Mark 1. The Mark 2 is skinnier on both the blade and the handle.

I would like something similar in size... and probably as large as can be legally carried. My budget right now is quite tiny.

That S&W looks almost identical to the Mark 1. Thanks for the links.

... and disregarding all of the above... I just grabbed a Meyerco Law Dog off Amazon based on what OhShoot wrote on here. Edited by cybernorris
Received my [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Meyerco Law Dog today ... under $25 with shipping! Blade is pretty nice out of the package. Grip is good, feels solid and well balanced.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The sheath holds it well, though it has a metal belt clip screwed on that doubles the thickness. It will probably come off as soon as I get some Loctite.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Still will be in the market someday for a larger dagger to replace the Gerber, but for now I've got a solid blade that I can carry.[/font][/color]