Installed my first custome Android ROM

piercedan

A couple of months ago I accepted an AT&T software upgrade on my Skyrocket and my phone went to hell. It kept locking up and I had to reboot it several times a day just to keep it working.

I finally had all I could take, and rather than pitch it out the window, I flashed Cyanogenmod 10 (Jelly Bean) on it. Now it is smoking fast again and has lots of updated features. Anyone else delve into the ROM world?
I tried out a good number of custom rom's on my original motorola droid, but haven't messed with my newer phones beyond just rooting them. I have a RAZR now and just don't have any real reason or benefit to flash to a custom rom. The amount I use my phone it would be more for fun than from a practical standpoint.
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1353779878' post='850087']
I tried out a good number of custom rom's on my original motorola droid, but haven't messed with my newer phones beyond just rooting them. I have a RAZR now and just don't have any real reason or benefit to flash to a custom rom. The amount I use my phone it would be more for fun than from a practical standpoint.
[/quote]

Yours has ICS native right? Edited by piercedan
Yup. Been installing custom ROMs on my droid devices since the first generation of Android phones. I usually have a new phone less than 24 hours before I start tinkering.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I've had the phone since December of last year. I had it rooted for Titanium backup, but never jumped into a new ROM because of a fear of loosing purchased apps. I was nervous for no reason. Google Play reinstalled most of them automatically. I only had a few that I had to restore from Titanium. So far it's rock solid.
CM10 is good, but there's a lot of people that have taken that and built even better ROMs from it. ParanoidAndroid is one, KingKang etc... but my favorite is Blu Kuban, it has the speed of the CM10 JB, except everything works and the modems are faster.

Now that your cherry has been popped, you'll probably be on xda weekly, trying out new ones lol
  • Like 1

Yep, CyanogenMod has been on every phone I've had, starting with CM 4 on the G1. It's really became a wonderful team of developers, they really do magic for some of the crappy phones that are put out. Before getting into firearms, I tried my hand at making boot animations, themes and doing some minor coding that was theme related. Firearms make for a better hobby :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• Like 1
[quote name='piercedan' timestamp='1353791519' post='850146']
Can't find the Blu Kuban.
[/quote]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1625535

It's for the galaxy 2 epic touch, but it may work with your model, just ask on that forum.
Caution is good when you start, but after doing some reading, you'll see that it's pretty safe as long as you don't vary from the instructions of the people creating the ROM's.

How people mess up is that they think they can try new things, or use software made for a different phone.
New roms can be jelly bean based, a lot more functionality and they run much faster/smoother. I like the speed, and free hotspot/tethering. Side effect of having the bloatware removed is also better battery life *but this depends on the rom and configurations.

I use the SII epic touch (think it's for Sprint only), and it runs much better than the OEM ROM, a substantial amount faster Edited by Sam1
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1353804668' post='850205']
I've done a very small amount of reading about rooting and ROM's, but it's a little confusing, and I'm afraid I'll screw up my phone.
[/quote]

I was pretty nervous too. I finally made the jump to solve problems, and am glad I did. It was a little intimidating, but pretty easy once I started the process.
[quote name='FJCrusing' timestamp='1353808592' post='850244']
I have an S3 with Verizon and still waiting on Jelly Bean. It's a company owned device managed by a mobile device management system and will show as compromised if I use a custom ROM and loaded Jelly Bean. ugh.
[/quote]

That sucks. The S3 is a pretty sweet phone even with Ice Cream Sandwich.
[quote name='FJCrusing' timestamp='1353808592' post='850244']I have an S3 with Verizon and still waiting on Jelly Bean. It's a company owned device managed by a mobile device management system and will show as compromised if I use a custom ROM and loaded Jelly Bean. ugh.[/quote]

Not if you do it right;)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2