Anyone ever had problems with 147gr bullets in their pistols?

Guest sling

Guest sling

Granted, if i'm not mistaken, the 147 gr 9mm was developed for subguns and as a nifty round to develope sub sonic speeds. However, i carry them frequently in my handguns.

I was talking with a buddy yesterday about this and he mentioned he had had nothing but trouble with them. I understand the variables that could cause this but wanted to know if anyone else ever has problems?

An example of course would be the 147 gr Gold Saber or Federals 147 gr HST. I use both of these rounds and have never had a hickup... well except for that one instance a few moons back where i had an HST squib.. :screwy:

Now i weigh them out of paranoia...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkstar

I seem to remember an article in one of the gun mags going on about that the 147 grain load tended to under perform. Sorry I can't remember the exact place or I'd post it. I want to say it had something to do with not penetrating deeply enough or something to that effect. As far as 147 loads having problems such as squibbing or otherwise failing to fire I have not heard anything. Even with top quality factory loads you can get a bum round but I don't think it's a sepecific problem with 147 grain loads

Guest sling

Oh no no. Sorry i didnt clarify. The squib didnt have anything to do with the fact that it was a 147 gr. Just a bad round from the factory. Still, it was unnerving to remember that that round was in my magazine.

this is one of those topics that never gets to a conclusion. Everyone will state their facts and there seems to be evidence for both sides of the coin.

Personally the effectiveness of 9mm is the blalance of higher velocity and weight. That is why 115 is the standard. I use 124g +p for the same reason. 147g tends to be too heavy to get necessary velocity. However, advances in bullet design nullify some of those concerns but I still don't like them.

Here is an excerpt of an article from Chuck Hawks.

"All during the post-WW II years from 1945 to the 1990's there were a tremendous number of articles and books written by supposed experts alleging the superiority of the .45 ACP over the 9x19. These assertions were usually based on theoretical models of stopping power (like the Cooper "short form") that suggested a large .40 or larger caliber bullet had some intangible advantage in stopping power irrespective of the actual energy delivered. These theoretical models seriously over estimated the stopping power of the .45 ACP and seriously underestimated the stopping power of the 9x19. Assertions that .45 ball (FMJ) ammunition was 90% effective in achieving one shot stops were common. The truth revealed by the 15 year Marshall-Sanow study of thousands of actual shootings is that standard 230 grain .45 ball ammunition is about 62.89% effective, and 9x19 115 grain ball ammunition is 62.26% effective in achieving a one shot stop.

More important to civilian and police shooters is the effectiveness of the best bullets in the calibers, which for most purposes are expanding JHP bullets. The top load for the 9x19 is the Cor-Bon +P 115grain JHP, which is 91% effective in achieving a one shot stop. (For comparison, the top load for the .45 ACP is the Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shok, which is 92% effective.) The 115 grain +P loads from Federal, Remington, and Winchester are all close, averaging about 89% one shot stops.

The effectiveness of the 9x19 goes down as the bullet weight increases and velocity decreases. The best 124 grain JHP loads average about 81-84% one shot stops, and the best 147 grain JHP load delivers about 76% one shot stops."

Guest Todd@CIS
Yeah but have you ever shot anybody? :D

Los Angles Co Sheriff's Dept has...alot.

They report very good results with Winchester 147gr Ranger-T.

IMO, this is one of the top 5 defense rounds in 9mm.

Guest utarch00
Yeah but have you ever shot anybody? :D

No, but the OP asked if anyone had had any problems with 147gr in their guns. Not if anyone had shot anyone with 147gr.

From what I understand...there was some over-charging of some earlier 147 loads..I dont remember what manufacturers. Modern loads have come along way...and as long as its a newer modern load I wouldn't worry or think twice about carrying 147g unless your running less than a 3" inch barrel. There is an approved load list from Dr Robert's in this thread somewhere.. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7291

This issue was corrected YEARS ago. Today's 147 gr Golden Sabre, Ranger, and such will penetrate and perform with the best of them.

Remember, when using a sidearm, penetration and bullet placement are the important things in a defensive situation involving lethal force.