AK vs. SKS

JoeJ615

Guest drifter

Well I own several SKS's, and no AK's.  Have shot AK's quite a bit tho.  I guess it depends what you want, a tacticool rifle or a woods/range gun.  Tacticool=ak, woods/range=sks.  Both are fun plinkers, with the edge going to the AK because of the magazine release/size, and pistol grip.  But I prefer the more "solid" feel of the SKS.  Just feels like a better quality rifle.  If you can find a SKS that takes AK mags, best of both worlds imho.

Here's my SKS-M

55md6x.jpg

Edited by drifter

Alright as mr.ak47 you would think my vote would be lean you toward the ak platform,but It's more of a style/use decision. For me personally i'm a huge ak fan 11 and counting,but I also have 3 sks and have had upwards of 20 or so since I was 17. Both are excellent rifles.The things you need to mainly consider are if you want a SHTF rifle or a good plinking rifle that will see occasional use. Don't get me wrong both have been proven in battle,but as everyone knows one has stayed in use as a battle rifle since the early 50's and my guess is it will continue to see use in battles for many years to come,and that would be the ak47. Either rifle will serve you more than adequate at typical battle ranges (under 150 yards) and both are accurate at well past that. I have no problem taking my ak's out and hitting a 6 inch plates at 300 yards with every round in the magazine from any position nor do i have problems doing so with my sks. For me I love the feel of my ak47 more so then i do my sk's. I can acquire my sight picture quicker and put more rounds on target faster then i can with my sk's,but this i'm sure is do to practicing with that platform more so then the sks. To me personal the sks has more of a hunting rifle feel to it then a battle rifle feel.So I would recommend you feeling around with them and see which one more suits you personally. For me it's the ak-47 it's reliability,easy of use, and abundance of parts is what makes it my go to gun. Either way happy shooting and welcome to the 7.62x39 world