Good ole TSA

Il Duce

Now, aren't they a bunch to be proud of?

All they are is a group of government thug intimidators. They have never caught anyone in line with their

mission, have they?

[quote name="6.8 AR" post="861290" time="1355680832"]Now, aren't they a bunch to be proud of?   All they are is a group of government thug intimidators. They have never caught anyone in line with their mission, have they?[/quote] Everyday. Contrary to popular TGO belief their "mission" includes more than catching grenade wielding terrorists. Like it or not any time they prevent someone from boarding with contraband, they've succeeded. That includes numerous firearms, every week that somehow got "forgotten" in carry on baggage. Of course that does seem to be a problem, after all someone stupid enough to forget their gun in their baggage is exactly who I want armed next to me on a plane. I mean it just says so much about somebody's good judgment when they "forget" they've got a gun with them. Like I've said in other threads, is the TSA some kind of thing to be celebrated? No. Are they violating anyone's rights? No, flying is not a right, you make the choice to subject yourself every time you pay for a ticket. Do we have much bigger problems in our government than the TSA? Uh, yes.
  • Like 1

The word "contraband" includes some ridiculous items and their mission involving stupid mistakes is a bit

on the edge of harrassment. The airline industry should have control of its security. TSA has some numb

nuts, to borrow from Ted Nugent, that include thiefs and idiots with improper training and would probably fail

background checks from any other employer.

The last time I got on an airplane was before the TSA was around. At least in BNA and Pittsburgh the security

was very good without them. As a matter of fact, Chicago, Cleveland and Newark was very good without them.

That's the extent of my flying commercially.

I don't see how another federalizing did anything good with airport security, at all.

The TSA is a joke to any other group that performs security functions. I would rather see it like it used to be.

People will always bitch about their safety until something happends , then they wish it was there before..

Some do, but others take their safety personally and respect others views. Monsters grow from perceived fears

that don't exist in quantities enough to justify leviathans to make you "feel" safe.

Edited by 6.8 AR
[quote name="Sour Kraut" post="861304" time="1355683268"]People will always bitch..[/quote] That alone pretty much spells it out. My personal favorite is when people complain about the way we do things then point to Israel and ask why we can't do things the same as them.
Part of security is public relations. It allows folks to be eyes and ears for the agency. Is also allows for faith in the agency, and better relations which leads to better use of psychological screening.

TSA is an epic fail because of the way they were stood up nearly overnight and what that meant to hiring requirements. They continue to fail because of fear of them. They also fail at least weekly on public relations and or providing security.

No right to fly? No right to walk outside your home or breath either (none are specifically mentioned in the US Constitution). Now is there a heightened scrutiny at airports, you betchya. But they can do it with public assistance much better by not raising the ire of that same public. It is a leadership problem that has been pervasive since their first day of operation which is sad because there are many folks that are doing the best they can.
[quote name="6.8 AR" post="861311" time="1355683620"]The word "contraband" includes some ridiculous items and their mission involving stupid mistakes is a bit on the edge of harrassment. The airline industry should have control of its security. TSA has some numb nuts, to borrow from Ted Nugent, that include thiefs and idiots with improper training and would probably fail background checks from any other employer.   The last time I got on an airplane was before the TSA was around. At least in BNA and Pittsburgh the security was very good without them. As a matter of fact, Chicago, Cleveland and Newark was very good without them. That's the extent of my flying commercially.   I don't see how another federalizing did anything good with airport security, at all.   The TSA is a joke to any other group that performs security functions. I would rather see it like it used to be.[/quote] You are right on many points 6.8, the federalization of aviation security surely didn't make things better and the list of contraband has grown to lengths that would almost be considered humorous. Likewise I agree that the agents are underpaid, under trained, under qualified. As far as being a bunch of dishonest thrives, you'll find those in any profession so that's almost a moot point. My point is, the TSA has a job, the job gets done. Not always perfectly, and often to the dissatisfaction of those they serve but it gets done. To say they've never done anything favorable or prevented an incident is just as incorrect as to say they are a perfect example of a security force. In this day and age it's also not in fathomable that if left to their own devices the security provided by airlines wouldn't be much the same. The pat downs and screenings would most likely stay, you'll still probably have to take your shoes off, aside from removing the Feds from the equation which I understand and agree with, what would you realistically hope to see changed?
Paladin132, I meant what I said. You have no right to fly, you also have no right to shop at Walmart or drive a car. As far as breathing, well you do have a right to life. As far as walking down the street, I don't know? If we want to make some kind of point about all the things we do on a daily basis that we have no technical right too I guess we can, I don't see the point though? The fact will remain, you have absolutely no right to fly.

I don't know about their pay but I doubt it is too little, but I do care about doing a job right and it is not done at all

right by that so-called agency of the governnment. They should be called the "Transportation Harrassment Agency.

If they are doing their job right, then it must have something to do with the job description and focus, not harrassment.

It was much more satisfactorily done when it was locally managed and prepared for. It is a poor excuse when you have

to go through an damned x-ray machine to get on a plane.

Profiling is a good tool when used properly. Not everyone is a criminal, yet.

What I'm trying to say is you can't turn back the clock. At this point regardless of who's administering it, the X-rays the pat downs, and the BS are here to stay. We live in a different world now than we did then. Sad but true, security measures are not going to become more lax. Can you imagine the lawsuits the airlines would open themselves up to if they decided to forgo existing security measures in the name of making people feel less harassed? It has once again proved pointless to enter a discussion on the topic, you guys have fun giving yourself aneurisms on the topic.
  • Admin Team
If we wanted secure airlines, we would let the airlines run their own security and suffer market consequences for any failures. Of course, we're not really about free markets or consequences anymore.

The airline industry as we know it would have ceased to exist after September 11 had the government not come to their rescue and propped them up. By accepting that bailout, the major carriers are really in no position to whine about the TSA, much less hold the accountable. And, that is a shame.

The TSA is nothing more than a government jobs program with a whitewashing of "security" to pacify the masses.

You could rip 100% of that junk out of the airports tomorrow and be just as safe on your next flight. September 11 changed the paradigm. You'll never see a hijacking like that again, because the next time someone tries it, they'll be beaten to death by the passengers. There's no down side to risking your life interdicting a hijacker if they're planning to kill everyone anyway.

If the government feels like they need to give these people jobs, fine. But, recognize it for what it is. Don't try to make me feel more secure. I know better.
  • Like 1