How do your friends react?

Guest benchpresspower

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

Very few people know i regularly carry a handgun on my person for protection. Only close family and friends (not many of either) are even aware that I have a handgun carry permit. I rarely will tell that i am actually carrying because those few close family/friends do not mind.

Folks at work are aware I hunt, thus obviously I own a gun to hunt. But that is the extent of co workers knowing my gun habits. I do not see a big advantage to telling people who are aquaintances and not extremely close family/friends that i have a permit. I like to go about my daily business under the radar of everyone and be discreet (I carry virtually everywhere i go a small snub revolver in a pocket holster). The few people who know i carry can never tell or notice.

Don't ask/don't tell has always worked well for me. I occasionally enter friends' homes armed (friends whose wives are hostile to CCW). The husbands know, but don't want their wives to find out. If it ever becomes an issue, I will use the towerclimber method--I'll leave, and won't be back unarmed. It's their choice, not mine.

Guest flyfishtn
Man that is nasty part of nashville now. I dont go through that area at night any more

Actually better than it used to be. They have cleaned it up a lot over the past few years.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tedbo

I am a violent crime survivor. What few friends I have know that I carry always.

I don't care to ever be unprepared again.

Every discussion with the anti's and their ilk I shut them right down. I ask them where were they when I needed them?

I look them right in the eyes and ask them what gives them the right to tell me what I can and cannot do to defend me and mine?

Then I get real close to them and talk real low. I ask them if they know that it is possible to kill someone with toilet paper,if you stuff it down their throat.Where is the five day waiting period??

Food for their thought processes. I don't get confrontational,just make them think for themselves a little bit.

Guest janwbrown616

I think too many people make too big a deal about Carrying. If I felt like I just had to carry a gun into his house, I'd have just done it and not mentioned it...

We carry concealed for a reason. It's so people DON'T know we are carrying. So, I'd not tell in the first place.

If he discovered it and protested, then I'd say sorry. If I still felt like I just HAD to carry while in his home, then I'd NOT go to his home.

Most of my friends don't know I carry - the ones who do don't care. Some of them are counting on me to carry in certain situations. I'm not fond of that - they should arrange for their own security instead of expecting me to step in for them. I might not. I guess I should tell them that, but it's not an easy thing to do.

Guest jth_3s

Carried in my friends house last night and his roommates girlfriend noticed. She told her Boyfriend and Next thing I knew I heard a yell from across the apartment "Youve got a GUN!" I said thats right and just ignored him.

When at our monthly pot luck dinner at church, a married couple asked me what I did for a living. I told them I trained Armed Professionals and Citizens.

They said, "That's nice", and moved from the table where we were eating and sat at the table farthest away from me.

I think the next time I will say I am a piano player at a bordello and see what the response is. LOL

As far as carrying, in my limited circle of friends of like minds, even THEY don't know and cannot tell that I carry. I have a build that allows good concealment of a "J" frame Smith.

For the most part my friends don't know that I carry. Only about 3 or 4 of my closest friends know. One took his HCP class with me, another bought his first pistol 2 week ago and is planning to get his HCP. The other friends that know will go shooting with me. They only found out when I took my gun off as we were going into a restaurant that served alcohol. Even my bosses didn't know for the first 6 months that I worked for them but they are cool with it.

None of my other friends have detected that I was carrying in their presence.

I agree with the others who have said that if someone protests then I will not return until my gun is as welcome as I am.

Guest tedbo

Enfield is right. People around me know that I will protect me and mine. I give them the scenario of "what if?" I tell them that it would be possible that I could be the first one taken out and they may not be able to get my gun to stop the threat.Watcha gonna do?

Yup,if my gun isn't welcome,I'm not either. People that know me know that I will not go thru what I did ever again.They also know that I wouldn't want them to go thru it either.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest REDDOG79

Most of my friends know that I have a HCP and i have been asked at work where to take the class. But I can not carry at work as they have a no weapon policy. And the company that we are working at is under the Dept of Homeland Security. I am not comfortable leaving a handgun in my car and if i am caught disarming in the parking lot I will be fired. On weekends I carry at my home and while out and about but i disarm when we are sitting on my porch drinking beers. As far as their homes I haven't had a problem with that at all.

Guest justaman30
I carry around my ultra-liberal friends all the time. They don't know.

So do I, no one knows. If it's that much of an issue for that guy, just avoid them. :cool:

Guest justaman30
When at our monthly pot luck dinner at church, a married couple asked me what I did for a living. I told them I trained Armed Professionals and Citizens.

They said, "That's nice", and moved from the table where we were eating and sat at the table farthest away from me.

I think the next time I will say I am a piano player at a bordello and see what the response is. LOL

As far as carrying, in my limited circle of friends of like minds, even THEY don't know and cannot tell that I carry. I have a build that allows good concealment of a "J" frame Smith.

That's really sad, man. But you should see the reaction when folks at my church discover their pastor is packing! Of course, I have alot of carry-folks and gun/hunting enthusiasts in my church, and we are in a rural area, so to most it is just no big deal. :cool: