How do your friends react?

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Just wondering if any of you all have had your friends more or less "shun" you for carrying? While yes I am still waiting on my permit, I talked to a friend of mine about whether or not it would be a problem for them when I start carrying to enter their home with it. He told me he would ask his wife about it, that was about 4 months ago. During this time I have asked him may a couple times more and still get the same answer. I am aware he doesn't like guns (and doesn't know anything about them nor the laws, he told me Tennessee didn't have any self defense laws) but personally I think he could give me a straight answer I mean I DID ask him first out of respect for his family and home but this whole time I have heard nothing from him (not just on guns but anything). Basically in a nutshell he hasn't even spoke to me ever since I had that conversation with him. Is he scared of me now, does he think I'm gonna go shoot him and his family up? How bout it folks, anyone on here ever have the same thing or something similar to it happen to them?:shrug:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angel 24/7

I have a reputation of being very out spoken & I don't take alot of sh** off of anyone. When I told my friends I was doing this I thought they where going to sh** their pants. Now that they see I respect the gun & I am very aware of things I think they are loosing up.

But, they also have concidered I may be able to help them one day????

Dont ask dont tell!

Theres a blog run by a woman thats pretty winded,and likes to go on,and on,and on,and on... anyhoo its a pretty good read.She has a story similar to yours where she lost a friend over her carrying,and decided not to tell anyone else,since then alls great!

Maybe someone will post that addr since I cant think of it...

I just carried. I didn't ask permission, because I have never ask permission to carry my pocket knife, my keys, or any other article I have on my persons. I view my gun as just another article of clothing that I wear.

Now if I am going to a house where there little kids that I will more than likely be playing games with or something than I will take it off. But I have never sought permission.

I have a saying that my boss taught me...."It is always easier to seek forgiveness than it is to seek permission."

You can always say:

"Hey look man, I asked, and your were to scared to say anything to your wife, so I had to do what I had to do." I have been carrying around here for a while now and you just noticed? Dude, you need to get your head out of your wife's arse."

Well that might be a little to harsh.....but I think you get my point. :shrug:

Guest darkstar

I had a couple of my friends visit from Atlanta back in April. They were giving me some good natured crap when I was holstering up before we headed out to an event. Nothing serious just run of the mill stuff, pretty much kidding. They changed their tune later on during the ride home. Long story short, we were on 8th Ave South near Edgehill and Wedgewood (if you know Nashville, you know thats a crappy area) we narrowly avoided getting sideswiped and at the red light about 100 yards up from where it happened the dope that almost hit us got out of his car and ran up to ours yelling, screaming and generally acting in a menacing manner with something in his hand. He got about 10 feet from the car when I leaned out from the rear and yelled at him to stop. This obviously surprised him as I don't think he saw me back there. He kind of stood there for a minute then retreated. He was about a half second away from getting shot. I had my Sig out and drawn on him. Luckily nothing else happened. But since then these particular friends don't tease me anymore.

Turns out it was his cell phone in his hand but I couldn't tell until he was right there. I still wonder if I did the right thing, drawing....but at that point I had no idea what this guy had in his hand, it was dark and he was behaving in a very threatning manner. All things considered I probably let him get too close before I acted, he was literally a couple feet from the vehicle.

Edited by darkstar

I was at my buddys house before and was wearing my 1911. When I took my coat off, of course it was showing. He has his permit, but his wife is not a gun person. She asked me to take it off, and since I was on my motorcycle I had no where to put it. I said that I would unload it, so I dropped the magazine and put it in my pocket. He just looks at me and smiles as he says the magic words, Condition 1 huh? Then again, I was at his place before, and he had to run out somewhere, and he told me, while I am gone, you are considered a resident of the house. Pretty much my friends know that I carry, and I assume they know I will be carrying. I don't bring it up, and they really don't either.

Guest Boomhower
Pretty much my friends know that I carry, and I assume they know I will be carrying. I don't bring it up, and they really don't either.

I've gotten the friendly pat several times before, but that's usually followed by a :shrug:.

Guest jackdog

I will respect the wishes of any one while in their home. If they ask me to not a carry because they don't like it then me and my firearm will leave. It has only happened once.

A few weeks later the same couple invited us to a BBQ. I said No thanks, my friend calls

back and says hey were inviting your gun to. So all s back to normal.

Guest bluecanary25
Any man who has to ask his wife would be no friend of mine.

After asking my wife, she said it's OK if I agree with you. :shrug:

Most of my friends know I carry and don't have a problem with it.

I agree with the don't ask don't tell policy...I also agree with Jackdog. I will not enter another persons' home if they don't care for firearms. I will also not be in a position to be a victim...so I won't patronize them.

This sort of thing isn't a debate for my close friends or co workers. heh. most of them are now asking me if I will go with them to go help pick them out a pistol for self defense and teach them basic safety or refer them to someone to teach them.

Guest Major Pain

Hey Jackdog, you got some good friends. Most of mine carry so usually no problem. The other friends don't know so I don't tell. Works for me.-------MP

Guest jackdog

Like I said it happened only once, the guys wife is a vp at a bank and thinks guns are evil. To my buddies credit he resolved the situation. Hey I even got her to shoot an evil .22 pistol on two occasions. Her hubbie just took the carry class 3 weeks ago. This should be interesting.

I have three good friends.

One of them i have never set foot in his house before and only had a hi how are you with his wife out and about so i don't know her stance on it. But he has 100% knowledge it goes where i go and has no issue's since he's a former prison guard, other then he's never shot a handgun but i'm going to solve that soon for him.

Another one he has no clue i have my permit or carry for a fact but since he's close with friend number three below then i can bet he almost bet's i do even before i was legal. And what he don't know till he asks or catch's me is fine with me.

Friend number three on the other hand is a A1 carry permit holder from the start of the program. It's becasue of him and alot of talk's about it that i went and got mine. He absolutely knows i carry and actually get's pissy and call's me a chicken Sh** P**sy if i don't have it with me which is rare (he checks) but im still temid about the laws and such untill i get fully comfortable with where i can or cant carry so i tend to rule with dbout if im not sure about a place untill i know for sure. Hey i want to keep it for awhile yha know! His wife has no issue about it since she has a permit too.

As far as strangers house's or any not listed above, i keep it covered and keep it on me and guarded at all times. If they was to find out and freak that is fine, i explained to my wife that she and the kids be ready to leave at that time if it happens since she knows it's on me to protect her and the kids, so it goes where i go.