AR15 Bipod help

Newman

Had to purchase a Harris AR15 Adapter (hb5) like the one here: www.harrisbipods.com/hb5.html

I need to know which bipods I can use with it. Can the adapter only be used with Harris bipods or can I use another name brand?

I need your suggestions please. Would like to stay under $75 if possible.

Also for the 30 round mag, what height legs will I need to go with? Edited by Newman

bad link, upper case on the last part:

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB5.html

HB5.jpg

Why you "had" to purchase the Harris specifically aside, any bipod that attaches to a swing swivel stud will work, like the ones at Wally's, whatever.

If you mean height to clear a 30 round mag with butt sitting on a level surface rather than in your hand, depends on thickness of fore arm, and rail, or however that adapter is attached, type of butt stock,etc, but you'll need 10-11" from bottom of barrel to bottom of bipod feet, measured vertically, not along 45 degree of the legs themselves.

Of course, most all bipods telescope some, so you can lengthen legs (although it makes them more unstable). And it doesn't matter once you've shouldered the gun, all kinds of clearance with any then, and can always stick something under the butt in between shooting to raise it a bit.

And lastly, if you use 20 round mag while bench shooting, about any arrangement will clear when you set butt down.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Has Wally changed from the "Winchester" branded one?

Whatever it is, if it says it's for sling swivel base, it should work okay.

The only other type I know of fits directly on a rail. There are some that come with adapters to fit both ways.

- OS

for a few dollars more just get a Harris  check amazon  Basic Harris no swivel,no notch, start around $65.00 or so

http://www.amazon.com/Harris-Engineering-1A2-LM-Solid-Base/dp/B000VYR0H6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1357072827&sr=1-2&keywords=harris+bipod+9-13

add a few bucks for notch legs ,swivel etc.

for me it is a Harris or a sandbag   have used my Harris for 20+ years not a glitch, try that with a UTG and get back to me.

do some math  vs. the cost of the investment of the rifles the Harris will fit isn't that expensive and can be moved from rifle to rifle easily..

theres a reason why Harris always comes up when you ask/search for a bipod they work and they last.