Distilling Spirits for SHTF

I pointed out problems in moonshiners to my wife.   On one of the tubs there was a hugh crack between the wood and the copper. 

They are doing nothing but running water though those stills on that show..

Was that the still that Tickle and his friend made?

The type stills Tickle and Tim was using on the show are called Submarine Stills.

This type is the easiest to build and cost the least for the amount of moonshine they can run. They can also be made round, with the top and bottom made of wood.

If made round, the bottom is buried in the ground about 5" to keep from burning the bottom out. The metal used was mostly aluminum, not the best, but they were made for money. Felt was used between the metal and wood and the metal was nailed on.  They would need to have water in them a few days before they was used to swell the wood. The mash would seal any small leaks when fired.

building4.jpg

By necessity, the largest blackpot still operations have had something of an assembly-line orderliness.  This site included 24 800-gallon submarine stills.  Each row of 12 pots had two caps, two thumpers, and two condensers.  Franklin County, Virginia, circa 1972.

An operation of this size could make about 2,000 gallons of shine per run!

It was one of the Submarine Stills, I believe it was 1st season when Tim and tickle where setting up and putting it up on the blocks, it looked like the side was very loose with about a 2 inch gap.

I didn't see that part. But like you said.. running only water it wouldn't matter.

If they where running anything beside water, with their pictures they would have been arrested already.  That is what I base only running water though it to show the process.

I remember a county fair in Stinking Creek TN and their was a moonshine still setup.

I was only a kid but I remember an uncle walking up to it and smelling it and came back and said it's only water.

Yes.. the ATF doesn't like people to run a moonshine still at a fair or on TV!

And one of the reasons is the possibility of an alcohol fire from the vapor with a lot of people near by.

You never want to run a still much above 200 because it will start to boil the water, about 173 to just over 200 degrees is the range.

Yes.. the ATF doesn't like people to run a moonshine still at a fair or on TV!

And one of the reasons is the possibility of an alcohol fire from the vapor with a lot of people near by.

You never want to run a still much above 200 because it will start to boil the water, about 173 to just over 200 degrees is the range.

My uncle told me to never run it too fast.  Just get a steady stream and hold it. 

He as told me that you can taste the difference if it is run too fast.

Serious anyone know of a small distillery that is opening anytime soon.  I think I want to change jobs and make some legal moonshine.  It would be a dam good change of pace for me.  I don't have the funds to even think about starting my own distillery.

My uncle told me to never run it too fast.  Just get a steady stream and hold it. 

Serious anyone know of a small distillery that is opening anytime soon.  I think I want to change jobs and make some legal moonshine.  It would be a dam good change of pace for me.  I don't have the funds to even think about starting my own distillery.

Your uncle told you right.  To much heat and you take a chance on scorching the mash.

Many of the old stills used in Alabama used double-walled stills and used steam for heat. This prevented burning the mash.

If you apply heat slow, the alcohol will regulate the mash temperature as it vaporizers. As the alcohol percent drops in the mash it will get hotter.

By-the-way... "mash" is fermented grain before distilling whiskey, bourbon, etc.

It's called "wash" if fruit is used to make brandy, apple jack, etc.

Don't know any small "legal" distillery. You may have to search around on the net and see if you can find one?

A little birdie told me that running around 180F is ideal. Nice little trickle.

I wish I did. The startup costs of a distillery are prohibitive to getting into the business. I have a passion for homebrewing but do not distill for legal reasons.

TC

Your uncle told you right.  To much heat and you take a chance on scorching the mash.

Many of the old stills used in Alabama used double-walled stills and used steam for heat. This prevented burning the mash.

If you apply heat slow, the alcohol will regulate the mash temperature as it vaporizers. As the alcohol percent drops in the mash it will get hotter.

By-the-way... "mash" is fermented grain before distilling whiskey, bourbon, etc.

It's called "wash" if fruit is used to make brandy, apple jack, etc.

Don't know any small "legal" distillery. You may have to search around on the net and see if you can find one?

To add to the completely correct statement here. Mash is completely legal just like homebrewing anything else. Distillation of the homebrew is where things get complicated (legally speaking).

TC

To add to the completely correct statement here. Mash is completely legal just like homebrewing anything else. Distillation of the homebrew is where things get complicated (legally speaking).

TC

Let me first say... I have no first hand knowledge about anything to do with making alcohol ! :ugh:

But, I can tell you this...

If you get caught distilling, one of your charges will be not paying the tax on the alcohol at that location.

This is every Mason jar with shine... mash that is in the still... and ALL mash on sight!

If you got the idea that they are going to believe that you're really making beer or "corn wine" with a still next to the mash barrel... it ain't a going to happen! :rofl:

Now... if you got fruit fermenting, or making beer, you better not have a still anywhere around that location!

They also know rum is make from molasses, sugar, or other cane, like sorghum.

The bottom line is... if they show up, somebody run their mouth!

Let me first say... I have no first hand knowledge about anything to do with making alcohol ! :ugh:

But, I can tell you this...

If you get caught distilling, one of your charges will be not paying the tax on the alcohol at that location.

This is every Mason jar with shine... mash that is in the still... and ALL mash on sight!

If you got the idea that they are going to believe that you're really making beer or "corn wine" with a still next to the mash barrel... it ain't a going to happen! :rofl:

Now... if you got fruit fermenting, or making beer, you better not have a still anywhere around that location!

They also know rum is make from molasses, sugar, or other cane, like sorghum.

The bottom line is... if they show up, somebody run their mouth!

Don't forget that raw sugar also counts toward the alcohol tax.

I did not mean to imply having a still near homebrew is a good idea; I was simply pointing out that fermenting any must (in my last post, the must happened to be corn mash) is legal. I cannot imagine corn wine would taste very good; so, good luck convincing the law that was your intention (I do confess to never having tried it though). I do not own a still; I do homebrew (primarily fruit wine) and stay under the legal gallon limit for my household.

I absolutely agree that, if someone is actively distilling, talking about it drastically increases their chances of being caught. That is really what surprises me most about the shiners in the show Moonshiners.

TC

Edited by tvcannon

Just joking about the corn wine... but I'd say it was tried a few times when ATF showed up! :pleased:

If a person was making a small amount for themselves, family, and friends. And not selling any in large amounts, you wouldn't be on a "bad list" with the law. Many people have "granny stills" in the 5 gallon range and makes just enough for a few.

I do know some who have "pee pots" in the range from 20-40 gallon stills.  This size with supply family and several friends. It's not sold...

but a favor or donation is nice to receive. You start selling it for the money and you cross the line.

We just had a guy in Clarksville get rolled up for making shine in his house. Cops came out on a domestic and saw a few dozen mason jars filled with various flavors of moonshine. Apparently he gave it away to coworkers. Yet another reason not to slap your wife around.

Just joking about the corn wine... but I'd say it was tried a few times when ATF showed up! :pleased:

If a person was making a small amount for themselves, family, and friends. And not selling any in large amounts, you wouldn't be on a "bad list" with the law. Many people have "granny stills" in the 5 gallon range and makes just enough for a few.

I do know some who have "pee pots" in the range from 20-40 gallon stills.  This size with supply family and several friends. It's not sold...

but a favor or donation is nice to receive. You start selling it for the money and you cross the line.

As soon as you distill a drop, you have actually crossed the legal line.

whether or not you sell any.

However, making the Mash or Wash (also known as Still Beer) is legal for person use, 100 gallon a person or 200 family or whatever was stated above.

I have been intending to make my uncles recipe for Still Beer for a while.  Maybe this spring.  No still, no legal problem.

It is an art in making the mash and also running a Still.  As I said before I would love to run one at a legal distillery. 

I am not talking anything like the size of Jack Daniels either.  I am talking if a small company wanted to run small batches for quality, not quantity.

The first bit of steam as the temp comes up contains methanol. Methanol steam starts to run at ~150 degrees and ethanol steam comes on at ~170 degrees. Ethanol is drinkable and methanol will kill you. You need to run the temps at ~150-~160 until the steam stops then run the temp up to above 170 but below probably 190. This steams the ethanol but not the water. This will make sure you don't get methanol contamination in your ethanol. Or you can do like most do anyways and run it twice but following the temperature range like I mentioned before, ~150 until it isn't steaming then run the temps up to 170-190

If after you get past the methanol you let the temps get too hot you will only dillute the ethanol with water steam. You can run it again to extract more of the ethanol, leaving the water behind.

If you run the temperature up too quickly or don't stop at ~150-~160 the methanol can contaminate the ethanol. This is where you hear of the health issues like blindness and death from drinking moonshine. It isn't that corn whiskey is any more dangerous than other types of alcohol but the maker has allowed methanol to contaminate the ethanol by not paying attention to temperatures. And yes corn mash WILL produce methanol. And the amount produces is enough to cause serious health issues if it isn't extracted.

I have also heard of people adding battery acid to the mixture to speed up the fermination process. I have also heard of people running it through a radiator to cool it off. Both of these will cause serious health issues. I have been told if it burns anythgin other than blue or clear you will likely get sick.

Dolomite

The first bit of steam as the temp comes up contains methanol. Methanol steam starts to run at ~150 degrees and ethanol steam comes on at ~170 degrees. Ethanol is drinkable and methanol will kill you. You need to run the temps at ~150-~160 until the steam stops then run the temp up to above 170 but below probably 190. This steams the ethanol but not the water. This will make sure you don't get methanol contamination in your ethanol. Or you can do like most do anyways and run it twice but following the temperature range like I mentioned before, ~150 until it isn't steaming then run the temps up to 170-190

If after you get past the methanol you let the temps get too hot you will only dillute the ethanol with water steam. You can run it again to extract more of the ethanol, leaving the water behind.

If you run the temperature up too quickly or don't stop at ~150-~160 the methanol can contaminate the ethanol. This is where you hear of the health issues like blindness and death from drinking moonshine. It isn't that corn whiskey is any more dangerous than other types of alcohol but the maker has allowed methanol to contaminate the ethanol by not paying attention to temperatures. And yes corn mash WILL produce methanol. And the amount produces is enough to cause serious health issues if it isn't extracted.

I have also heard of people adding battery acid to the mixture to speed up the fermination process. I have also heard of people running it through a radiator to cool it off. Both of these will cause serious health issues. I have been told if it burns anythgin other than blue or clear you will likely get sick.

Dolomite

Yes, you're right.

Like I said in post #25... "You always discard the first half pint, or so, depending on the size of the still. This first part is called "foreshots" and contains amounts of undesirable compounds such as acetone and various aldehydes, and methanol."

If you supply a steady low heat to a still, as the mash heats up and liquid starts out the condenser, this first part will contain the bad stuff!

The amount of alcohol in the mash and the rate the alcohol vaporises determines how fast the mash temperature increases, without changing the heat input.

You have four sections of liquid coming from the condenser... foreshots, heads, hearts, and tails. And when you hear the word "cut", it is the separation of each section. Heart is the best section for best flavor. Foreshots are discarded. Heads and tails are most of the time added back to new mash in the still, or used in a thumper keg. Also a percentage of the used mash can be added back also. This used mash is call "dunder". 

I think we have enough people here, we should get an ATF license and open a distillery.

I don't know if that would work out???  We would most likely drink up the profits!

If ever a still could be called a work of art... it would be the Portuguese copper alembic still...

I need to make one from stainless steel!

whiskey-still.jpeg