need advice from a gunsmith concerning Lorcin Firearms

Guest unreconstructed1

Guest unreconstructed1

OK, I have a Lorcin L-380 handgun. yes I know all the stuff about P.O.S., Saturday night special, breathe on them and they'll blow up etc., but aside from the scare talk, has anyone here who knows anything about pistols ever worked on them?

hopefully in about a month, I'll have my HCP. now teh Lorcin won't be my primary carry piece, but i will be buying an IWB holster for it, in case I carry somewhere that I decide to CC instead of OC in the summertime, since my primary carry piece is a little on the bulky side for concealed carry (Hi-point C-9).

My question has to do with the safety on it. I have dissassembled it and inspected the safety, and it seems like an adequate design to me. any gunsmiths here ever happen to inspect one of these and found a reason why they wouldn't be suitable pistols to carry with 1 in the pipe?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue isn't that they will go off accidentally. The issue is they will not go off intentionally. Firing pins tend to break at inconvenient moments. Stoppages are frequent.

I guess I'd rather have one than my bare hands. But it isn't something I'd really want to bet my life on.

Guest unreconstructed1

I have heard about the weak firing pins, but so far mine is still doing top notch. I have fired a little over about 600 rounds through it. As I said, when I dissassembled teh gun ( about 5 minutes before posting this thread) I didn't see anything wrong with the firing pin.

So then, youv'e never seen a problem with the safety design?

I just fixed a friend at works MP-25 and it was scary to look at the guts at that thing! I would not trust any Lorcin's safety!

I had to replace his broken firing pin. If you shoot the thing at all you will be replacing yours too so here is the link on where to buy them. Its a breeze to replace so maybe just buy one and carry it with you as well.

Good luck, and upgrade soon!

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=469100&MC=

Guest unreconstructed1
If you're looking for affirmation for your decision that carrying a Lorcin is a smart idea, look elsewhere.

actually, i'm just looking for a professionals advice relating to the dependability of the safety mechanism of the pistol...

The best advice anyone can give you is, get rid of both of pistols, and get something of quality. That's no joke.

Those things are dirty cheap for a reason, and it's not their craftsmanship.

As a fellow Tenneessean, TGO member, gun owner, HCP holder and human being, please think twice about using either of them as a carry/self defense weapon.

Guest Verbal Kint
The best advice anyone can give you is, get rid of both of pistols, and get something of quality. That's no joke.

Those things are dirty cheap for a reason, and it's not their craftsmanship.

As a fellow Tenneessean, TGO member, gun owner, HCP holder and human being, please think twice about using either of them as a carry/self defense weapon.

+1

For the price of those two guns you could pick up a very reliable Taurus.

I do not own a HiPoint,but I do have a Jimenez which pretty much the same as far as reliability stands. It makes a great range gun,although I wouldn't ever carry it!

It fired flawlessly for without a hiccup(no FTE,FTF or any problems whatsoever) for 600-800 rounds or so,then it just quit.

Now after I had it repaired through warranty it once again fires flawlessly,but I still would not carry it! Theres no way to tell when a cheap gun will stop working.

My suggestion would be to keep those two guns as a range gun only! If cash is a deciding factor then sell those and opt for a Taurus,or save up for something more reliable!

Edited by strickj

Lorcins are pretty well known to have shoddy build quality and unreliable safeties. I've never worked on one, because I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole, but I simply offer that observation and will refrain from criticizing your choice of firearm... just be careful, okay?

Guest c_o_jones

No one can make you follow good advice, but I will add my +1 to those telling you to lose the ghetto guns.

If you want an inexpensive 380 that goes bang every time, I would look at a bersa thunder. :hat:

Guest unreconstructed1

As far as teh Hi point goes...

the Hi point C9, while hving a bad reputation due to it's price, is actually a very accurate and reliable weapon, once it's properly broken in. I have roughly twice the ammo through my C9 that I have through the Lorcin, and since teh reccomended break-in period( about 500 rounds) it hasn't jammed on me once. I have absolutely no problem with the idea of carrying that gun, as it has proven itself to be a good weapon. teh only problem with that particular pistol is teh fact that it is quite wide, and therefore makes concealed carry harder. While most times, that won't be a problem, I posed the question regarding the Lorcins safety since it is a slimmer design, and therefore can be more easily concealed.

At some point I plan on buying another carry pistol, but that has to do with caliber choice rather than any problem with my C9.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Lorcins safety feature.

Check out my Avitar. After this particular gun failed to work on a number of occasions, the guitar player that owned it had it gold plated and used it as a hood ornament.

My son in law bought it at a yard sale for $6.00.

He wuz had!

Guest eyebedam
For the price of those two guns you could pick up a very reliable Taurus.

I do not own a Lorcin,but I do have a Jimenez which pretty much the same as far as reliability stands. It makes a great range gun,although I wouldn't ever carry it!

It fired flawlessly for without a hiccup(no FTE,FTF or any problems whatsoever) for 600-800 rounds or so,then it just quit.

Now after I had it repaired through warranty it once again fires flawlessly,but I still would not carry it! Theres no way to tell when a cheap gun will stop working.

My suggestion would be to keep those two guns as a range gun only! If cash is a deciding factor then sell those and opt for a Taurus,or save up for something more reliable!

+1

Guest shortfri

I have worked on a lorcin. I didn't really pay attention to the safty. But my opinion no matter how much you pay for a weapon i don't trust the safeties. Mechanical parts fail. Also there are only two ways to tell if a firing pin is bad that i know of. It breaks, or you have it x-rayed (this will cost more to do then buying most mid range pistols).

hi,

had a 'lorcin' a few years ago that i bought brand new.

took it to the range the first time with my 2 boys for a day of fun.

it jammed twice and then i got a total of 14 rds thru it and the firing pin broke. ruined the whole day.:2cents:

took it back where i bought it and the guy that sold it to me said it was a 'pos' and to send it back to the factory. [guess where i never shopped again] :D

sent it back and they installed a new firing pin and polished the ramp -no charge.

but, -- like a bad dog -- , couldn't trust it again. got rid of it.

it pays to spend a bit more and go with known quaility.

:confused: bob

Guest unreconstructed1

well, when I got the gun ( my wife bought it for me for valentines day) I had never planned on doing anything more than taking it up the mountain when I went to go shoot.

I didn't actually think about carrying it till I started thinking about IWB carry. I figure i'll probably just stick with my HP. I'll probably wind up buying a slimmer gun for every once in awhile later on down the road.

As far as teh Hi point goes...

the Hi point C9, while hving a bad reputation due to it's price, is actually a very accurate and reliable weapon, once it's properly broken in. I have roughly twice the ammo through my C9 that I have through the Lorcin, and since teh reccomended break-in period( about 500 rounds) it hasn't jammed on me once. I have absolutely no problem with the idea of carrying that gun, as it has proven itself to be a good weapon. teh only problem with that particular pistol is teh fact that it is quite wide, and therefore makes concealed carry harder. While most times, that won't be a problem, I posed the question regarding the Lorcins safety since it is a slimmer design, and therefore can be more easily concealed.

At some point I plan on buying another carry pistol, but that has to do with caliber choice rather than any problem with my C9.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Lorcins safety feature.

Off topic, but what is "teh"? At first I thought it was a typo, but then I realized you do it every time so it must be intentional. Is that the new internet slang?

Guest unreconstructed1
Off topic, but what is "teh"? At first I thought it was a typo, but then I realized you do it every time so it must be intentional. Is that the new internet slang?

actually, it isn't intentional, I just can't type worth a damn...

Guest unreconstructed1
get a real gun :)

well actually I've got my eyes on this Jennings.......

that was just a joke, by the way.

actually, the Hi point is every bit a "real gun" in the sense that when I pull the trigger, it goes bang, every time...