Obama speech

Sure they can.  They can make private firearm sales illegal and then simply wait for you to get caught.  People do illegal shit all the time now and the government is none the wiser because they don't get caught.  But once you get caught, you face the consequences.

Don't fool yourself and think that they wouldn't conduct stings to make sure that folks are playing by the new rules.  They do it all the time with narcotics busts.  Hell, the BATF has recently made the local news when they busted the doofus in Chattanooga who was SO stupid and SO brazen that he literally went out of his way to cross every successive line in the sand that the agents gave for him.  He had a dozen opportunities to take an exit and likely avoid anything more serious than a slap on the wrist, and finally made it bad enough that they absolutely had to arrest him.

People aren't the brightest of animals sometimes, and criminals are typically just flat stupid.  Especially petty criminals.

If they make it such that private sales are verboten, it won't take long for a bunch of bubbas to prove me right and give the government a chance to make examples of some folks.  All it will take is a few front page stories about someone getting sent away for a 10 year stint for everyone else to get the idea that they aren't playing around.

So, yeah... it's absolutely a do-able scenario.  Our job is to prevent that kind of legislation from ever passing.

THe bottom line here is they want ALL guns registered. This is the first step.

• Like 1

Yes and the fact the NRA just douched him on TV for having his children preotected by armed guards.

I think that was a poor move actually.  Yes, his kids are protected.  He is also the leader (sigh) of the free world, and him and his family are targets for a lot of people across the globe.   Are they better than anyone else? No.   But are they more of a target? Yes.   Its not good logic to attack him for this, and he has SO MANY OTHER screwups to attack, this is not the way.  

I mean --- lets face it.  Everyone here who has kids, their kid went to school today without an armed guard standing watch every second of the day, and nothing happened.  Send the obama kids off in public with NO protection and let it be publicly known, I give you 1 week before something happens, tops. 

•  

I think that was a poor move actually.  Yes, his kids are protected.  He is also the leader (sigh) of the free world, and him and his family are targets for a lot of people across the globe.   Are they better than anyone else? No.   But are they more of a target? Yes.   Its not good logic to attack him for this, and he has SO MANY OTHER screwups to attack, this is not the way.  

I mean --- lets face it.  Everyone here who has kids, their kid went to school today without an armed guard standing watch every second of the day, and nothing happened.  Send the obama kids off in public with NO protection and let it be publicly known, I give you 1 week before something happens, tops. 

I dont care..........My daughter deserves the same protection as any of these peoples children.  I never said it was a good move by the NRA.  Once again as stated before do as I say not as I do -------  Feinstein has a permit because she was a target.........We are all targets, if you do not want to believe that ask the familes of the people who died on 9/11.

If they come after my right to bear arms... then my ability to protect my family takes a huge hit

As far as every kid here goes -- im sure hte families in Newton would dissagree

Edited by Krull
  • Like 1

Sure they can.  They can make private firearm sales illegal and then simply wait for you to get caught.  People do illegal shit all the time now and the government is none the wiser because they don't get caught.  But once you get caught, you face the consequences.

Don't fool yourself and think that they wouldn't conduct stings to make sure that folks are playing by the new rules.  They do it all the time with narcotics busts.  Hell, the BATF has recently made the local news when they busted the doofus in Chattanooga who was SO stupid and SO brazen that he literally went out of his way to cross every successive line in the sand that the agents gave for him.  He had a dozen opportunities to take an exit and likely avoid anything more serious than a slap on the wrist, and finally made it bad enough that they absolutely had to arrest him.

People aren't the brightest of animals sometimes, and criminals are typically just flat stupid.  Especially petty criminals.

If they make it such that private sales are verboten, it won't take long for a bunch of bubbas to prove me right and give the government a chance to make examples of some folks.  All it will take is a few front page stories about someone getting sent away for a 10 year stint for everyone else to get the idea that they aren't playing around.

So, yeah... it's absolutely a do-able scenario.  Our job is to prevent that kind of legislation from ever passing.

Yeh, they can try through the House, Senate and doofus signing an unconstitutional piece of legislation. But, otherwise, no, they can't

and he as much as admitted that much, because he knew it was to the point of challenging in SCOTUS immediately.

On the Universal B/C. I didn't realize.....that 70% of the NRA favored it as well?

This is a load of stinky male bovine excrement. If 70% of the NRA's members were against something the NRA supported, their membership would be falling off a cliff right now rather than skyrocketing. 

This is a load of stinky male bovine excrement. If 70% of the NRA's members were against something the NRA supported, their membership would be falling off a cliff right now rather than skyrocketing. 

Agreed. Just expressing that dismay at the loosey-goosey use of stats by The Leader.

Funny how their answer to solving these problems all revolve around limiting access to an inanimate object. Not just any inanimate object but guns specifically.  Their band-aid approach to the problem will only serve to limit the law abiding from access to said inanimate objects. 

I think even those that are not "gun people" should be worried that elements of the government are either 1) Stupid enough to think that this one-sided approach to a much larger problem will actually work. 2) Up to no good and manipulting the emotional turmoil these recent tradgedies have brought on our country to further their agenda of systematically disarming us.

This is not a gun problem....it's a WTF is going on in our society that these crazy m*therf*ckers are thinking the answer is to kill a bunch of innocent people problem.  Until we get real and address whats causing that....it doesn't really matter what we try to limit access to.

Funny how their answer to solving these problems all revolve around limiting access to an inanimate object. Not just any inanimate object but guns specifically.  Their band-aid approach to the problem will only serve to limit the law abiding from access to said inanimate objects. 

I think even those that are not "gun people" should be worried that elements of the government are either 1) Stupid enough to think that this one-sided approach to a much larger problem will actually work. 2) Up to no good and manipulting the emotional turmoil these recent tradgedies have brought on our country to further their agenda of systematically disarming us.

This is not a gun problem....it's a WTF is going on in our society that these crazy m*therf*ckers are thinking the answer is to kill a bunch of innocent people problem.  Until we get real and address whats causing that....it doesn't really matter what we try to limit access to.

Agreed, but the thing is, they don't even want to fix "the problem", it's not even about that.  It's about something else entirely altogether.  They don't give a crap about kids getting killed or they'd really be up in arms (pun intended) about abortion.  This is just an opportunity for them, anyone's safety is the least of their concerns.

• Like 2

Okay, call me a dufus as I just caught the tail end of the speech. I saw him sit at a table and sign papers and say something like There is it done.

So what did he sign? Was it an EO with all 23 points? Or was it just recommendations to congress?

Also even if it was EO's can't individual states tell him where to stick it?

Because if not, then that would give one man all the power needed to do what ever he wants to do.

While I do think the President's children need protection I found it funny that after the NRA was blasted for bringing his kids into it he used children around him in the conference to pull on heartstrings.

• Like 1
Guest nra37922

I would appreciate it very much if Obama would address how he proposes to remove firearms from the gangs infesting his hometown and leave us lawabiding citizens alone. 

Agreed, but the thing is, they don't even want to fix "the problem", it's not even about that.  It's about something else entirely altogether.  They don't give a crap about kids getting killed or they'd really be up in arms (pun intended) about abortion.  This is just an opportunity for them, anyone's safety is the least of their concerns.

Up in arms about DRUNK DRIVING as well -- however they dont want to touch that because over 10% of them have drunk driving charges.

• Like 2

No, No, NO!

You did not read the fine print.  

Of the democrats surveyed who own a shotgun and have an NRA membership, 70% agree.....

There IS an issue with a LOT of gun owners.  MANY who own one old rifle or something cannot comprehend why anyone would want more than one old single shot rifle and are against other folks having them.   They stab other gun owners in the back because they haven been hoodwinked into thinking these guns are actual military hardware and capable of full auto fire from belt fed ammo backpacks or something.   They honestly believe the media, in other words.    I doubt its 70% of the NRA, but 50% would not startle me at all. 

Okay, call me a dufus as I just caught the tail end of the speech. I saw him sit at a table and sign papers and say something like There is it done.

So what did he sign? Was it an EO with all 23 points? Or was it just recommendations to congress?

Also even if it was EO's can't individual states tell him where to stick it?

Because if not, then that would give one man all the power needed to do what ever he wants to do.

You and I don't know what he signed until it is released and actually placed on the Federal Register, I guess. Until then, it

could possibly be some document containing rearranging the chairs in the White House situation room. EO, or EA's(sounds

like just a new way to lie to me) don't give the President power, other than the power he already has.

Yep, the states can tell him where to stick it if they choose. And for anyone wanting to argue about what Lincoln did, you

should wait until a war breaks out to have that discussion.

I guess I missed some stuff. I have talked to a couple of non gun owners today and they asked be what I am going to do now that there is an AWB, and a Mag ban. I told them that there is no ban. They laughed at me and said yes there is he signed 23 EO's yesterday banning all Assault weapons and magazines over 10 rounds. I told them that I read the EO's and none of them do that and that he has to wait for Congress to do that. The then told me that they have read several articles and seen a couple reports say that he signed the bans into law. I read some of these articles and if you are uninformed on EO's and did not listen to the speech, they really make it sound like he already banned this stuff.

Putting my tin foil hat on.... 

I listened to his speech yesterday, and found it strikingly odd that, (since he had those kids all around him) in his commments regarding the need for Congress to ban Assault Weapons, he did not claim an Assault Weapon was used at Sandy Hook.

from the transcript of his speech.....

Second, Congress should restore a ban on military-style assault weapons, and a 10 round limit for magazines.

(APPLAUSE)

The type of assault rifle used in Aurora, for example, when paired with high capacity magazines has one purpose: to pump out as many bullets as possible as quickly as possible, to do as much damage using bullets often designed to inflict maximum damage. And that’s what allowed the gunman in Aurora to shoot 70 people, 70 people, killing 12. In a matter of minutes.

OBAMA: Weapons designed for the theater of war have no place in a movie theater. [note: he did not mention schools, not that I think that's OK, just saying he didn't stress the point.] A majority of Americans agree with us on this. And, by the way, so did Ronald Reagan, one of the staunchest defenders of the Second Amendment, who wrote to Congress in 1994, urging them -- this is Ronald Reagan speaking -- urging them to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of military-style assault weapons.

Taking off the tin foil hat....

Edited by Farmun