Bolt action .223?

Erik88

I read all about the MVP and decided I was going to go that route for a 223 bolt.  Then I couldnt find one and a buddy of mine got a 223 Rem 700 bull barrel stainless fluted, yada yada from Buds for 700 bucks.  I helped him with getting the reloads down and watched him shoot his best group ever with it.  I ended up getting the exact same rifle.  I havent put alot of bench time behind it, maybe 250-300 rounds or so.  But so far I am happy.  SO.....recently at one gunshop around here and the same day at a gunshow I get to actually see and handle the MVP.  SO glad I went with the Rem.  The MVP bolt was real sloppy and I can see the split bolt face being an issue for sure.  It definitely was cool that it took the AR mags but I think Mossberg could have done a much better job with it.  The gun photos real well, but in person the machine work wasnt all that impressive.   :2cents:   That said I would still like a bolt that took AR mags...I'd be in prairie dog heaven.

In reality though what is a bolt gun in 223 going to be able to do that a AR isn't other than reduce the rate of fire. A quality DMR style AR will shoot with most bolt guns. I have both and enjoy my AR just as much as my bolt gun. I will say a bolt guns stays a million times cleaner but other than that they are going to perform similarly.

To give you an idea. Shooting reloads my "accurate" AR has shot a best of .5" at 100 yards. My bolt gun shoots .4" using reloads. Both are going to hit what they are aiming at. I will admit that bolt guns shine when shooting factory ammo but with reloads they are going to be about the same.

The key to accuracy is not the gun, it is the ammo. If anyone wants to see what their gun is capable of with factory loads go shoot some FGMM. But be forwarned it is expensive and will make all other ammo suck in comparison. It is the only factory ammo that I have seen shoot close to handloads in most guns.

I do like a nice bolt gun though.

Dolomite

In reality though what is a bolt gun in 223 going to be able to do that a AR isn't other than reduce the rate of fire.

Dolomite

Bolt gun can handle a few ammo types that AR cannot, like the very soft pointed hunting stuff.  Of questionable value (they make ar compatible hunting ammo and bullets), but you asked.   You could also do a super light load in the bolt gun that would not cycle an ar, also of dubious value.

If shooting supressed, the bolt gun is going to be noticably quieter.  :devil: The Hog Hunter or new Mossberg MVP Patrol is on my short list... I'll probably buy the first on I can find first.

DanO

Unless you add an adjustable gas block with an Off position. It's just hard for me personally to justify a bolt gun for any caliber that will run in an AR-15. It gets easier with more powerful calibers.

I had a CZ 527 bolt action in 223 and it was very accurate with scope 200yds +, for much longer ranges you need a bigger caliber like .308/30-06 IMO.

The CZ 527 carbine, in my experience, is very accurate in .223. However, it has a twist of 1 in 12 so factory 55 grain or lighter is likely best. The basic WWB fmj in 45 grain weight has proven it's metal in many examples of them. No telling what a bit of hand load experimenting would result in.

Such a handy, well made, no frills carbine. The word seems to be spreading!

Unless you add an adjustable gas block with an Off position. It's just hard for me personally to justify a bolt gun for any caliber that will run in an AR-15. It gets easier with more powerful calibers.

I prefer my AR over my bolt guns. My 300 BO has an off position so it will be as quiet as an AR when I get my suppressor built.

Dolomite

I wouldn't mind having a bolt action .223.  I got the Saiga in that caliber already and it does what I want it to do.  Don't anticipate buying an AR, again.  Great platform, but got other things I want more.  If you like simple (and I am trending that way more and more as I get older, in a lot of things), the bolt is the way to go and I also like the feel of wood over plastic, or polymer or whatever they call it these days.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind having a bolt action .223.  I got the Saiga in that caliber already and it does what I want it to do.  Don't anticipate buying an AR, again.  Great platform, but got other things I want more.  If you like simple (and I am trending that way more and more as I get older, in a lot of things), the bolt is the way to go and I also like the feel of wood over plastic, or polymer or whatever they call it these days.

I love wood furniture. I have a few with really nice stocks. The problem for me... I wind up being really careful not to scratch them up. Plastic stocks, I don't care so much.

• Like 1

If you are thinking about a bolt action 223, check out a CZ rifle.  I have a 22 bolt CZ rifle and it is pure quality.  Everything is metal on the gun and wood.  The gun is built like a tank.  If i had the cash, I would pick up a CZ 223 rifle and put a good scope on it.  I like the set trigger.

Savage 223 bolt rifles are good guns too.  I like the Accutrigger.

If you keep an eye on the used gun market you can find the Savages for cheap. I picked one up today for $250 and it included the bases and rings. It is a good clean gun that will be used for my next build, just don't know what.

Dolomite

Yeah, yeah. Rub it in. ;).